1st day with Stealth P3D at Adams Motorsports Park

Ole1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
... since there isn't a track days forum ....

As you can tell, I am not a frequent auto crosser, or track day person (except on motorcycles) .... this write up is just a quick description of the fun I had with our Stealth P3D on her first mini track day.

Four weeks after picking up our Silver Stealth Performance Model 3, I took her to Adams Motorsports park last friday ... and of course, I had a blast !
http://www.adamsmotorsportspark.com/racing/time-attackgrip/
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.008476,-117.3825933,17z

The Friday night track layout starts in the center area, heading into the CCW hairpin, going then going down a short straight, where the small CW hairpin is not used, instead, it is a long CW sweeper into a longish straight, into a long CW sweeper, into a couple kinks - into a long 90 right, into a long (100 yard ?) straight, into the finish about 40 (?) yards before the last heavily banked CW hairpin.

The way the sessions ran, we would leave the start for a warm up lap, and as we passed the finish (flagging station), they would throw the green flag to start your first timed lap .... as you came around the second time, they would throw the white flag (starting your second timed lap), and your last time past, the checkered flag. Each "session", we would get three of these three lap runs, and there were three sessions - 6pm, 7pm, and 8pm ... I ran the first two sessions. Each session is $25.

The acceleration of this car is amazing, but the stock 18" Aero tires are TTTTerrrible on the track (of course) .... I dont think I was ever able to over use the brakes, because I was so traction limited by the tires .... here is a description of how a lap went: Braking hard into the first CCW hairpin left, enter with left front tire on the candystripes, car starts to rotate (rear end sliding), and contiues to rotate till traction control shuts off power momentarily - till traction is regained, then hard on the throttle down short straight to first long right sweeper, four wheel drifting the whole way around, limiting my speed to keep from sliding off the track, then max throttle down next longish straight, braking way early because at this point, tires have no grip, and skid like crazy if braked too hard .... through the kinks, and similar to the first corner, right wheel on candy stripes, car rotates just enough (no traction control shut off) ... then max throttle down the back straight .... but brake way before the flagging station into small chicane (cones ... i forgot to mention this part) into banked hairpin right, into kinks and short straight past start line and repeat. .....

For reference, I have been to this track four other times, with Mazda P5 and 1967 Cougar (canyon suspension and brakes), both on sticky summer tires with good brakes .... With the Cougar, on the last part of the track, I could wait to brake until "long after" the flagging station (right at the chicane, basically 15-20 yards before the hairpin) ... becuse of the stock tires on the model 3, at the end of the last straight, I had to brake way before the flagging station to prevent sliding off the track in the banked hairpin.

Still, I had a blast, and I was moved up to the "fast group" for the 7pm session (I was never fast enough for that i my previous visits to this track).

Next time, I will have summer tires and maybe better brakes (I already have the brakes ... just haven't put them on yet)

Oyster Bait

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nice write up. Thanks.

Was the track layout the same as the previous times you ran with your other cars? If so, please give us some lap times to compare.

Jonathan3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you for sharing your experience.

What brake upgrades are you doing? I am curious what upgrades people are doing that fit with the 18-inch wheels.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Awesome! What was your time in the p3d. I used to track there in my evo 8 that I had a few years back, and I would do a 42 seconds. Good to see people using these cars for the track!

Ole1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
hate to say it ..... but stock tires were terrible ... my best times were in the 49s .... fastest cars were in the low 46's
.... very much looking forward to seeing how i do with sticky tires and better brakes

..... haven't put them on yet ..... I got brakes from racingbrake.com - full set of front and rear two piece rotors (huge weight savings) and XT910 pads for stock 18" wheels - got to meet the owner/engineer/designer, who gave me a very detailed tour of their facility, and very detailed descriptions of all the unique (patented) things that they do with their brakes (insert smiley icons)

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
hate to say it ..... but stock tires were terrible ... my best times were in the 49s .... fastest cars were in the low 46's
.... very much looking forward to seeing how i do with sticky tires and better brakes

..... haven't put them on yet ..... I got brakes from racingbrake.com - full set of front and rear two piece rotors (huge weight savings) and XT910 pads for stock 18" wheels - got to meet the owner/engineer/designer, who gave me a very detailed tour of their facility, and very detailed descriptions of all the unique (patented) things that they do with their brakes (insert smiley icons)
Not bad! I ran R compounds on my evo doing <45 sec. That made the biggest difference