20" Wheel Issue - No One Will Install Tires (Load Index Specifications)

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey All,

I'm trying to find 235/35/20 tires and am having issues finding a shop that will install the tires. They are telling me that the minimum load index for the Model 3 is 98....and no tire in that size meets that.

I tried buying Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and Continental Extreme Contact Sport. Oddly enough the Tesla website sells the 20" with the Pilot Sports.

How has anyone else gotten their installed?

Thanks!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
ive had the same issue with americas tire. they solely follow whats on their computer for liability? The car is too new to have the 20" as an option. The load rating on the pilot sport will def exceed the gross vehicle weight if you do the math. I tried explaining that to them, but no avail. I found that americas tire depot would sell and install it for me. not sure if they have that where you live. just keep shopping around someone reputable will install them. good luck

JeffC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@JiveTalkinRobot and @dralusion,

Wait...what? This doesn’t bode well. I’ve got 20’s coming on my 3. Let me know what you find out.

Ski
Assuming you mean you're getting the wheels and tires from Tesla via the Performance Upgrade option (or from the Tesla Shop), Tesla has the right specifications for their own car. It's guaranteed to be no problem.

The issue may be that some of the aftermarket tire shops don't have current data for a new-ish car yet.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the same problem trying to buy 235/40/19 for some wheels I just bought. Hopefully this gets fixed soon. All 3 Model 3 factory tire options are a load index of 96 so I'm assuming a bunch of companies got access to incomplete early information and haven't updated it since.

ppower

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Buy tires from Tire Rack and have them sent to one of their authorized installers. You'll be notified once tires arrived at the shop, and the store WILL install them. Tire Rack sells them for 20's as an available option. Won't be a problem.

GetYourWheels

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
We've done many 20" with no problems.

2018 Model 3 with 20" Vertini RF1.2

Size: 20x9.0 | 20x10.5
Finish: Brushed Silver
Tires: Delinte D7 245/35/20 | 275/30/20
Other: Hub-centric | OE TPMS Compatible | Custom Offsets available | Rotary Forged Construction

Last edited:

JeffC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This was with Stance's pre-drilled size of 20X9 +32 and 20X10.5 +45 and I would definitely consider putting 285/30/20 in the rear of that to get equal rolling diameter from front to back.
Thanks! All sounds good! Can you find the weight of those wheels?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Discount tire here in Reno, NV would not install the 20 inch wheel with a 235/35 /20 Michelin Alpin PA4 winter tire. They kept telling me the computer says the load rating is too great. I called Tire Rack, and Tire Rack didn’t understand why Discount tire wouldn’t do it. They said the load rating looked fine. I talked to Big O Tires and they said the same thing, that the tire and rim package was fine. I believe the issue is what was stated above, that Discount tire is following their computer and bound by it for liability reasons. I had my tires shipped from Tire Rack ( because Big O did not have those tires in stock And the manager was OK with it) to the Big O Tires store near me and they will mount them.