1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

360 degree birds eye view

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by technotes, Aug 31, 2016.

More threads by technotes
  1. technotes

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    London
    Wouldn't it be great if the car had cameras all around that gives you a 360 degree view around the car. Like this:360 view.jpg

Seems like an easy and cheap addition which makes things massively convenient for the driver. What are people's thoughts on this?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
      Staff Member Founder
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Aurora,Ontario
      Country
      Depending on where Tesla puts these extra cameras that are destined for upgraded autopilot hardware we might see something like this. I'd like it but perhaps they see ultrasonics as good enough?

• MelindaV

☰ > 3
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Vancouver, WA
      Country
      My only experience with 360 cameras is in my bosses Infiniti Q70 and it is pretty amazing when parking. Seeing the parking stripes and curb without opening a door is great - in my tight garage I would love it. Being able to see how close you are to something is worth a lot over the sonar beeps saying you are too close.

• Like Like x 2
      • technotes

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        London
        As Melinda mentioned, the ultrasonics don't help with all cases as they could work together for a better driving experience. So being able to see if you're parked within the white lines of parking spaces, or maybe there is a kerb that the ultrasonics won't pick up, you want to get as close to the kerb as possible but without scratching up the alloys. It's slightly annoying if the kerb is on the driver side but if it's on the passenger side then it's a real hassle.

I know there's the auto parallel park option but I don't know how that would work if there wasn't any cars nearby at all and you just wanted to park on the side on the road.

Anyway, both are useful and complement each other for a better driving experience. There's only 4 cameras needed to give a 360 degree view (some of which may already exist which could be repurposed). It's the clever software that de-skews the images to give the impression of a overhead view. Anyway, feels like a very small cost for a huge benefit and practicality.

• Kizzy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        California, USA
        It's available in the Leaf. This Tesla owner reviewed one:

(360° Degree cameras mentioned at 9:20 and 10:35.)

• technotes

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        London
        Yes, that's exactly the video I saw this morning that prompted me to write this post. I'm on the verge of purchasing a 2nd hand Leaf (I will be trading in my dirty diesel for my first EV) with the 360 degree camera view and think it's an awesome car. The Leaf will do the job but I really want a Tesla Model S but that's way out of my price range. Even the Model 3 is out of my price range so I'm not able to pre-order. But I am keen on it and will be keeping on top of news so that I can jump on it as soon as finances allow.

• Daniel Davis

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Ohio
        I'm subscribed to James you tube channel. I find a lot of useful information their.

• technotes

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        London
        Yep me too, admittedly I'm not that interested in the general info of his day to day activities but the stuff related to EV and Tesla is good.

• PawaN

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Ma
        Country
        I too really want a 360 degree camera on my next car. However I assume the front camera needs to be "in the grille" (I know M3 doesnt have a grille). With a grille camera you can see the front clearly otherwise with the camera near the rear view mirror you would also get the hood and cant really see the front e.g. will you hit lower part of your bumper on the concrete parking stops. Am I wrong?

This feature is available on luxury cars like BMWs, Mercedes and Inifinitis and even on a Toyota Rav4 so hopefully they offer it soon

• Brokedoc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        New York
        Country
        It's neat to have but honestly I don't think it will happen. Tesla's self park feature is very good and doesn't require driver input at all (when it recognizes the spot you want to park in).

Although it seems to be a very easy software update, there are many other easy software updates that have yet to happen that should be much higher on the list.

Just off the top of my head...being able to select alternate routes in the navigation system (c'mon! The nav system is based on Google Maps and my Android version allows me to choose alternate routes!)

enabling the rain sensing wipers in the MX (that currently work in the MS)

creating a quick, easy button to put the car in mode for automatic car wash (currently it requires several steps to put the car in neutral "tow mode" with several button presses and more button presses to put the screen in cleaning mode so the car wash guys don't mess up any settings)

• Informative Informative x 1
        • MarkB

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Surrey, BC
          Country
          It's pretty great. And actually quite simple (fisheye lenses under side mirror and in nose - very small blind spot in each corner).

I needed a vehicle to last me until my TM3 arrives. With the Leaf (at least the years I was looking at), the lower trim level "S" comes with a backup camera. The higher trim levels offer the "around view" as part of the premium package -- and without that package, the higher trims don't even have a backup camera. I've had my 2014 Leaf SL for about a month now.

Diggin' the whole ev thing. It's a blast. I'll miss the 360 view when my real car arrives.

• Rich M

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Berks, PA
          Country
          It is very useful, I have it on my RAV4

Here's me in the car wash with bird's eye on:

Hopefully they can software update at least curb view mode (shown Midway in my video) for the 3.

• Like Like x 1
          • gmxeon

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Chicago
            Country
            I think when I get my Model 3 birds eye view will be what I miss the most from my LEAF, assuming the Model 3 is not FSD or self-parking is not fully ironed out by the time I get mine delivered... I will say that my LEAF's cameras are very poor at night though, the camera sensor dies run pretty hot so the image has a whole lot of graininess especially after the "nightvision" brightness compensation amplifies the problem. I assume Teslas have better quality cameras, but without a fisheye lens I imagine a birds eye view would need some kind of software graphical filter which may require a fair amount of processing for real time imagery, perhaps that is why it is not yet a feature. As far as I am ware it's not a patent issue since multiple manufacturers have it, so that's good.