3D Printable Wireless Charging Pad Cover

Discussion in 'Customizing & Modifications' started by Chilman408, May 7, 2018.

1. Chilman408

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #1 Chilman408, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    If you're tired of waiting for a decent wireless charging solution or don't want to overpay for a piece of neoprene, I have a 3D printable pad design here that is compatible with the following Amazon Qi Charger (seems to be the same one that RPM Tesla ships with).

The charging pad's design is a remix from Adafruit's design. I just made it thinner and work with two Amazon chargers.

https://learn.adafruit.com/tesla-qi-charger/overview

I couldn't verify the design on my Model 3 as my 3D Printer broke down in the most inopportune time...and I'm currently waiting for a Wanhao D9 to come in.

Print this with TPU material (and follow other suggested settings from Adafruit)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2897497

If this works for you, I'd be very grateful if someone could print one out for me too. Thx.

Update 07May2018:
    - I made couple of updates to the model on Thingiverse. V2 updated dimensions to be compatible with 200um layer thickness. V3 added "Bolt" icons to be visible from the top side so you can see where to place the phone.
    - Added V3 model rendering to this post.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #2 SoFlaModel3, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    I really know nothing about 3D printing, but what is the cost on the material you’d use in printing?

3. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    #3 garsh, May 7, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2018
    A spool of TPU can cost from $10 - $30, and can be used for much more than this one print. It's a pretty inexpensive way to go.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Thanks! Could make for a fun project.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Brokedoc

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    I just started 3D printing and it’s CRAZY FUN!

@SoFlaModel3 A few words of warning: being computer inclined and mechanically inclined are a HUGE PLUS. Minimum software skills require you to download files and reprocess it for printing.

Regarding mechanical skills, it’s possible to buy preassembled 3D printers that can print out of the box but I STRONGLY recommend that you save the $ and buy a kit that you assemble. Many people may disagree with me but I bought an Anet A8 on sale for under $130 (the kit is currently about $150 here https://www.lightinthebox.com/p/3d-printing-anet-a8-b-high-precision-high-quality-fdm-desktop-diy-3d-printer_p5081190.html ). The reason I advocate self assembly is because you will need to constantly adjust and trouble shoot any 3D printer when it clogs or goes out of alignment and by doing the assembly process, you will be able to fix/upgrade it that much easier. It may take several extra hours to put it together but consider it self education time. Plus, 3D printers are so modular, you will be frequently printing or buying upgrades for the printer.

Honestly, if assembling the printer yourself is not an appealing process, I would suggest that owning a preassembled printer may also not be right for you because of the constant tinkering and adjustments that are needed.

A few things I’ve recently printed: some are parts upgrades and the cutesy ones are for my daughter.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Awesome thanks! Ok, so being in software dev, being a nerd, and having built computers in the past is a plus? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Brokedoc

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    STRONG PLUS.

Of course my post was for other members on the fence and not full blown geeks like us. Honestly, the Anet was an amazing bargain. Even at $150, i was thinking about buying another for spare parts. I’ve but in some upgrades already like a bigger power supply and printed off a few things to mitigate weak points in the design. Feel free to PM me if you want pointers or we may start a new thread to not completely hijack this one. I’m printing the Tesla charging bracket as we speak.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Oregonian

Expand Collapse

Country
    How much research did you do before deciding on that model? I've been wanting one for a while but haven't committed any time to finding a good quality/price option.

9. Brokedoc

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    I did a lot of research but, basically, it’s a great starting point and a good 8” size to start with. The smaller 4 inch units will be outgrown VERY quickly and I don’t recommend those. I was apprehensive at first about assembly but there are so many useful YouTube vids about assembling this model, It was a piece of cake. Like putting together an erector set. For about $150, you really can’t go wrong. I get 1kg of PLA material from my local Microcenter for $15 and it works great.

The biggest concerns are easily addressable and things that should be upgraded on any 3D printer especially to reduce fire risk. I added a mosfet for the heat bed to reduce power going thru the motherboard (less than $10 on Amazon). I got a bigger 30amp power supply (less than $20). I printed my own brackets for the heated bed plug to eliminate strain on the wires which can cause fire risk.

Some people want to upgrade extruders or this or that but honestly, I’m getting amazing quality prints out of this cheap kit. To get better detail, I printed some frame reinforcements and belt tensioners and I bought some spare extruder heads and tubes because they can get clogged and it’s not worth the $1 to unclog anything more than a simple clog.

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. Chilman408

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Ok, I updated the model on Thingiverse so the dimensions are compatible with 200um layer thickness.

Also, added a V3 with little "Bolt" icons visible from top side (so you can see the charger target).

My slicer tells me that this print will cost ~$1.5 to $4 in material depending what your TPU roll cost is ($20/kg to $50/kg).

Let me know how this works out!

• Like Like x 4
  11. bt3k

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Printing it out in PETG because thats what i've got loaded up at the moment. Will be able to test fit at the very least.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RPMTESLA

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Great design. Love it

13. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    how are the puck's cords routed? it looks like from the thingiverse render the border that holds the pucks is continuous and doesn't have a gap for them to pass thru.

14. telero

Expand Collapse

Country
    Looks like the cords would line up with the holes in the tray.
    TeslaChargerPadHoles.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. bt3k

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    So did a quick print and test fit before I went to work. I can get pics when I get back home.

First, the circular areas are way too big for the pucks, the pucks are 69mm and the space is much larger than that.

Otherwise the pad fits snug in place and the "mount points" are accurate and fit as expected.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Chilman408

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Thx!

I added versions "x.1"'s to thingiverse with a tighter cup size.

17. Steven Artau

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    How much does this weigh? Can you provide the Infill and Shell parameters? I am printing this at the library and they charge by the gram.

18. Chilman408

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Some of these questions are material and printer specific.

As I said, my printer went down so I haven't done a print, but this is an extremely simple print, just place the front side on the print bed.

These are generic parameters that I typically would use -

Infill use 20% to 25% (Shouldn't need more but shouldn't go below)
    X-Y Shell use 1mm to 1.2mm (obviously 0.4mm nozzle can't print 1mm wall but I wouldn't use 0.8mm wall)
    Z Shell use 1mm to 1.2mm (obviously 0.2mm layer thickness can't print 1.1mm wall)
    What other parameters do they need?

In terms of weight, this depends on the material - my slicer says ~0.22lb or 33000mm of material.