1. We're hard at work on a software upgrade which will likely take place around the first weekend of October. We'll keep you posted and thanks for the support!

3D printing

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by MelindaV, Jun 30, 2018.

1. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I had casually been looking into 3D printers for the last year or two, but not with much intension of buying one until recently when seeing all the various Model 3 things popping up... so finally jumped in and ordered a Creality3D Ender 3.
    It went together pretty easily (about an hour one night after work this week) and had it spit out its first print this morning!
    IMG_0501.jpg

after seeing posts/videos of initial prints being all sorts of a mess, I expected to see that out of it. But, while not perfect, it is way better than I was expecting.

I had shopped around looking at various sub $200 printers and went with the Creality since based on reviews appeared to be the most ready to use without needing to swap out parts. it comes with a proper power supply (switched and grounded), has a bowden extruder that I would prefer and doesn't 'need' to have much done to it to perform decently well. Only issue I've noticed with it is one of the wheels (or it's bearing) feels like it has a flat spot that when manually sliding the build plate you can feel a kink, but it does not seem like it has impacted its operation. I will get some replacement wheels though. I also ordered motor dampers with the printer based on some reviews suggestions, but haven't yet installed them. It is pretty quiet as is, so not sure I will bother putting them on, at least for now.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Out of curiosity how long did that piece take?

3. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    it was about 25 or 30 minutes.
    the little alpaca I did after was about 2hrs (for 6.8grams).
    I was changing some of the speed/temp/flow settings on him to see what difference it would make, so he got pretty rough by the time it got to his head and his ears didn't make it ;)

IMG_0358.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    I have a passing interest in 3D printing. I'd like to try my hand at it but I can't seem to bring myself to spend $ on something I don't think I'll use that much. A friend of mine is currently printing me a scale model Falcon 9 though ;)

5. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Don't buy your own. Use an online 3d printing service. They have high-end printers that yield much higher quality products, from wide ranges of materials, and also offer various finishing options. I personally use iMaterialise, but there's lots of great services out there.

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. GregRF

Expand Collapse

Country
    I've been curiously watching 3D printers for near a decade, but haven't been able to justify the cost and time to play with one (do have a cnc router that gets occasional love).

But man that Ender 3 looks a bit too enticing for price and quality out of the gate. Where did you order it from? You may have convinced me...

7. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I went with Amazon. It was more expensive ($230) than ordering from one of the Chinese sites (just under $200), but had it in 2ish days instead of a couple weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GregRF

Expand Collapse

Country
    @MelindaV , this is all your fault.
    IMG_20180713_213214.jpg IMG_20180714_065750.jpg
    Built the printer on Friday with my 4 year old daughter. Fun to see her excited about engineering projects. The only time she put her new puppy down was to pick up the bunny we printed.

• Like Like x 3
  9. GregRF

Expand Collapse

Country
    I have the same issue. Seems the pre-built Y-axis was overly tightened and over time/temp swings all 4 of the plastic V bearings developed flat spots. I tried loosening the eccentric nuts a bit and also offset all 4 flatspots, but now I just have 4x as many dead spots, just less severe. I have requested a new set under warranty, so lets hope that extra $30 spent for the quick amazon version has other bonuses (went with comgrow).

10. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    might I suggest a Squishy Turtle for her?

11. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I'm curious - has anyone here seen any tests on "3d printed foam", whether you can print out of plastic a cellular structure that's insulative? It got me curious, for "easy" foam inserts to fit a custom space. iMaterialise's finest plastic resolution is 0,2-0,3mm wall thickness. I looked up typical open cell foam bubble sizes, and they're usually 1-4mm. So... I'd *think* it possible to print out a "perfect" open cell foam, maybe even better than the original (e.g. dendritic structures, structural support channels, etc). Do you know if anyone has ever tried this?

Could also do closed cell, at least for print processes that don't need to drain / remove non-printed powder... or even a hybrid open/closed foam, with macroscopic closed cells filled with and microscopic open cells.

12. GregRF

Expand Collapse

Country
    I don't know about foam, but there are ceramics that can be printed. That combined with different infill shapes/sizes could provide a very good insulator.

13. GregRF

Expand Collapse

Country
    That is awesome! Will be printing that out this weekend. Just got her some magenta colored PLA that would be perfect for the shell.

So far one of my favorites is the sharkz.

• Like Like x 2
  14. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Unfortunately ceramics tend to have very thick wall size requirements. Cells would have to be very large, and thus few, with lots of internal convection.

On the other hand, one could do metal foams :) Pricey, like all metal printing, but...

15. GregRF

Expand Collapse

Country
    There are lots of cool infill types that you can vary the size of.

16. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    ha - one of the first things I printed was a t-rex that appears to be similar, but doesn't hold very well. I have some white and grey filament coming, so may have to try the sharkz :)

17. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I designed a cup holder insert with flexible fins to be able to accommodate a variety of cups/bottles while keeping the opening between the two cupholders available for cup handles.

let me know if you'd be interested in printing and testing it out (assuming it is a good fit, will post on thingiverse for all - so maybe a pix I could use would be great ;)).

it uses TPU (or otherwise a flexible filament) and prints flat and needs roughly a 220 wide bed (shown here on end and curved)

IMG_0512.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 9.52.23 AM.png

• Like Like x 3
  18. batzman

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I’d be interested in the thingverse post. Let me know when you upload it, or post a link on this thread.

19. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    i published it, with the big work-in-progress banner. so let me know how it works for you

20. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    had a chance to test this cup holder out this weekend...
    here's comparison pix using a .5L SodaStream bottle, a 20oz Pepsi bottle and a 1L Smartwater bottle (also tried a 20oz coffee to-go cup, but tossed it before taking pix.
    For all the bottles/cups, they fit snuggly, but you could still easily pull them out without the insert coming out

IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0747.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0749.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg

• Like Like x 1
Model 3 Owners Club © 2018. All rights reserved.
Model 3 Owners Club (M3OC) is an enthusiast club and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or the Tesla Motors Club Forum (TMC).
All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.