1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

48, 56 & 64 Amp EVSE Examples? (skip 40A & less)

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by 17.088 ^2, Nov 2, 2016.

More threads by 17.088 ^2
  1. 17.088 ^2

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Country
    As I recall, the largest amp circuit allowed for a Level 2 (i.e.: 240 volt) EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment) or EV Charging Point is 80 amps.

Tesla now offers a "48 Amp charging system".
    EVSEs need to follow the NEC's Continuous Duty rule; thus...
    125% of 48 means a 60 Amp circuit would be needed for such an EVSE.

I understand that the largest Amp circuit feeding an EVSE is limited to 80 Amps.
    80% of 80 Amps, or 64 Amps would be the maximum Ampacity of said EVSE.
    (i.e.: There are two ways to do the Continuous Duty math.)

Between 60 and 80 is only one more available STANDARD sized circuit breaker (NEC section 240.6), that being 70 Amps. (80% is 56 Amps.)

{I'm not interested in the 40 Amp EVSE that would be on a 50 Amp circuit.}

Here's my question:
    How many choices does one have, now or in the not to distant future, for 48, 56 and 64 Amp EVSEs?

or put another way...
    Does anyone out there have a 48, 56 or 64 Amp EVSE?
    What are your reactions and/or experiences with it?

I ask because the last time I looked, I did NOT seen very many examples in these capacities.

2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
  3. Badback

Valued Community Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Why discount the 40A? A NEMA 14-50R is a very popular and economical outlet to install in your home or as a destination charger.

This would easily provide overnight charging, which I would think would be the norm for most people.

4. KennethK

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Michigan
    Country
    #4 KennethK, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    I agree. I have a Juicebox 40, that I charge my Vehicle with now. I think that 40 amps is definitely respectable. In fact, at 40A at 240V, the power is 240V*40A= 9600 W = 9.6kW, so you can supply about 9.6kWh every hour (kW per hour = kWh of course). If the vehicles efficiency is 300Wh/mile (=.3kWh/mile) then that is 9.6kWh/.3kWh/mile = 32miles for every hour. This assumes the on-board charger can handle the full power and the charging is perfectly efficient.

5. 17.088 ^2

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Country
    I never meant to imply that there is any problem with a 32 Amp EVSE (40 Amp circuit).
    Only that there are a lot MORE of them to choose from.

So, _IF_ one wants to have a 48, 56 or 64 Amp EVSE, then what choices are there?
    Given that Tesla now supports the 48 Amp EVSE, I would certainly like to have one (and MAYBE even the 56 Amp).
    I have PLENTY of time to decide.

But what choices are there to select from?
    I've not seen very many models to look further into.

6. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    why go with a 3rd party instead of just sticking with the HPWC at the higher amps (assuming the Model ☰ has the larger onboard charger option)? seems like the best price and keeping with all tesla equipment 'should' be less opportunity for issues down the road.

7. 17.088 ^2

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Country
    In the industry I'm in, as in all customer-client relationships, one must pay attention to what the customer already has or wants. NOT everyone out there with a EV or PHEV will have a Tesla. They will want a "standard" connector (whatever that means to some people), such as (but not limited to) the J1772.
    I imagine that some of these non-Tesla brand names might even come with two cords or cord-ends (Tesla & J1772).

In any case, last time I checked, there was a selection of EVSEs intended for 50 Amp circuits and less so for 60 Amp circuits (i.e.: the EVSEs themselves were 40 and 48 Amps.) What I did NOT find at all was a broad selection of 56 & 64 Amp units (for 70 & 80 Amp circuits).
    BTW, in just our own family, I _SPECULATE_ that our 2nd EV will be the Mitzubishi Outlander PHEV. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it. One or our ICE vehicles will just have to stick around. This could rule out a Tesla EVSE in the most frequently used charging location in our driveway.

So, back to rephrasing my earlier question(s):
    Can anyone share with me their experiences with any particular 240V (Class 2) EVSE that's in the highest three Ampacity brackets?
    i.e.: 48 Amps (60 Amp circuit), 56 Amps (70 Amp circuit) or 64 Amps (80 Amp circuit) ???

If not, then...

Can anyone tell me of a source to go to for as unbiased opinions or reviews of EVSEs in general?