1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

75% Made in NA - great news for Canadians

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by BobLoblaw, Sep 6, 2017.

More threads by BobLoblaw
  1. BobLoblaw

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kelowna BC
    Country
    Apologies if this has been mentioned somewhere else already, but today on Electrek it's being reported that 50% of 3 parts are being made in the US and Canada, with 25% in Mexico...

That's GREAT news for us Canadians - if Tesla follows it's pricing scheme on X and S, we should be dodging the 6% tariff they add to US prices! From what I read, 55% is the threshold required, and it looks like they've met that handily.

Excellent! Now all we need is some sooner dates up in the Great White North and I'll be doing the happy dance (which I require after 2 e-mtbs were stolen from my garage this weekend...)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sandy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Cobourg, Ontario
    Country
    We will save the 6.1% nafta duty charged on Sans X and with CDN rates up another 1/4 point today praying the dollar hangs in there. Sorry about the theft

3. BobLoblaw

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kelowna BC
    Country
    Thanks re: the theft. Sucks, but life goes on and we are insured.

I'm watching the dollar as well, I'll be very interested to see the CDN pricing. Am I correct in assuming they adjust occassionally to account for dollar fluctuations on the S and X? Not sure how Tesla Canadian pricing works...

4. Sitter_k

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Caledon Ontario
    Country
    Here's the proof.

Attached Files:

5. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Tesla tends to adjust pricing twice, sometimes more, times a year depending on the amount of fluctuation. We just had a price adjustment a month ago on the S and X, down from where it was. This is good news. If our dollar sees improvements between now and the new year then perhaps we'll be in a better position.

In the meantime, use Tesla's exchange factor of 1.3 for options and 1.295 for the car to judge Model 3 pricing. I did a video segment on what Canadian pricing should look like

6. BobLoblaw

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kelowna BC
    Country
    Watched the video Trev, good stuff.

Did your conversion figures include the tariffs that are applied to Model S and X? Or is it just an approximation of the exchange rate that Tesla is currently using? The point of my post is that we can possibly dodge the 6 percent-ish import tariff if the NA content is high enough. That's assuming NAFTA doesn't get changed in the meantime.

Either way, keep up the good work and as you say in the video I'm not expecting anything concrete until the New Year...and yup, entry level luxury is exactly where this car sits. It's no Prius!