1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

80% charge in 15 minutes on Model 3

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill' started by Pinewold, Jan 27, 2017.

More threads by Pinewold
  1. Pinewold

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Ma
    Thought I heard about a CA incentive for a car with less than a 60kWh battery and 15 minute 80% fill time (meant for Fuel Cell vehicles, but perhaps cleverly negotiated by Tesla folks based on inside info) which would dovetail nicely with Panasonic battery guru in Japan who said he had tweaked the chemistry to charge to 80% in 3 minutes with no loss of charging cycles. All of this would dovetail nicely with Elon's tweet about 350kWh chargers being Childrens toy.

is this all my imagination or does anybody else remember/ know of any / all of these?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
  2. John

Tech CEO
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Country
    No additional knowledge here, but it makes a lot of sense to address Supercharger crowding by making the flood of new '3s fast charging. Another way to help is to put software unlockable 75 kWh batteries in all of them so that even if you haven't paid for the unlock, you can 100% fast charge something like 220 miles (since it is less than 80% of physical battery). That would mean that every Model 3 would have exceptional fast charging. And manufacturing would be simpler.

• Like Like x 4
  3. JBsC6

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Northern NJ
    Country
    That would be an impossible to beat electric vehicle, I think it's more future possibilities than 2018

4. sam s

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    cincinnati
    anyone have information if the model 3 will be better at not losing vampire miles? I have watched a few videos where model s and x lose 3 to 10 miles over night. I am hoping this small problem will be going away. What if you had your model 3 parked somewhere for a few days( i.e. airport) and come back with no power.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. teslaliving

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Tesla over-promised on the charge rates on the S and had to back off on them over time. I think they've learned that lesson and will start conservatively and then improve it over time.

Vampire loss really isn't that big a deal in everyday use. The biggest issue would be leaving outside for a week unplugged at an airport or something. I'm taking a trip next week and will take an ICE car to leave in the cold for a week. I could make it work with the S, but it's not worth thinking about.

Otherwise, it really is a minor thing not to worry about.

6. Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles CA
    Country
    Per Bjørn Nyland 'in the cold for a week' is no problem. This video shows where did so for four times as long with his Model S P85, a little over three years ago:

He lives in Norway. But traveled to Thailand for a month for his wedding and honeymoon. He had only got the car a couple of months earlier.

Teslabjørn's Road Trip Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqKx2qnB8Xv4a-O2tr4ZKmPoRKXmN79r7

7. teslaliving

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Yeah I live in New England. You drive to the airport (60 miles) you let it sit for a week in <20F, then you drive back and you could be short. Just depends on the weather, how far the trip is etc. Not sure if you have a Tesla but I've been through 3 New England winters now. You lose up to 40% range in the winter.

8. tivoboy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Palo Alto, CA
    Country
    sounds closer to Porsche's 800 volte charging solution, 80% in 15 min, which requires a lot of infrastructure and vehicle changes. I highly doubt the model 3 will have anything like this.. or even future S models in the next few years.