A Simple, Lightweight Mod to Your Key Card for Valets

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wanted a simple way to mod the key card I carry in my Model 3 so that it could be carried in my wallet and hung up by parking valets on a key hook. What I settled on is a simple self-adhesive hanger.

The hanger has a few nice qualities:

1. Cheap
2. Lightweight
3. Can still be tucked in a wallet (hook has a fold line)
4. Hangs up if necessary
5. Can be removed

Cost was a few cents each on Amazon. There are various styles. I chose an open-hook design for versatility (can be added behind other keys on the hook).

Here's the copy I keep in my car:

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great idea!

Hey what’s the red card?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Clever! But I only see packages of 200 - 1000 on Amazon. Want to send me a few? :)

Brett

M3OC Supporting Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Best I could find was $8 for 100. Group buy?

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's the copy I keep in my car:
Wait - you keep this in your car?!? So if someone breaks into your car, they have your key to be able to drive away? I hope you put it in a very non-obvious spot (ie. not in the center console). :oops: Inside the glove compartment, maybe?

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wait - you keep this in your car?!? So if someone breaks into your car, they have your key to be able to drive away? I hope you put it in a very non-obvious spot (ie. not in the center console). :oops: Inside the glove compartment, maybe?
The fact that it's a thin card makes it eminently hide-able. The more you think about the nature of the card, the more places you can think of to hide it.

I even thought of several games that could be played:

1. Hide one card in a place that can't be found in 5 minutes of searching
2. Hide any number of cards, but your score is the percentage another person can find in 15 minutes
3. Hide any number of cards; your score is how many aren't found in 15 minutes
4. Hide 5 cards, one of which is not programmed into the car; searcher HAS to try one key from those they find, their choice, but hider wins if it's the bogus one or only one key is found; searcher wins if the key works or they find all five keys

#4 is my favorite, because there's a little psychology involved in terms of influencing which key the searcher tries based on where you hide it.

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry, the shorter answer is that yes, it's hidden, the family can easily access it when needed, and no one else is going to find it in any reasonable amount of thieving time, if ever.

JohnTc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's what I've been using and spent $9 on Amazon. It definitely keeps the card safe since its a hard case and does not bend. IMG_1129.jpg IMG_1128.jpg Its been to good use already since my car has been in different shops getting work done.

Daniel D.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Here's what I've been using and spent $9 on Amazon. It definitely keeps the card safe since its a hard case and does not bend. View attachment 8405 View attachment 8406 Its been to good use already since my car has been in different shops getting work done.
Can you provide a link to the one you bought? That infographic is great too!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought this one on Amazon to use. It was only $5 after tax.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scrapps

Country
Country
I was using one of many plastic wallets from various conferences but this is a much cleaner solution. Thanks John!

MosquitoFloss

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Here's what I've been using and spent $9 on Amazon. It definitely keeps the card safe since its a hard case and does not bend. View attachment 8405 View attachment 8406 Its been to good use already since my car has been in different shops getting work done.
Did you create that info card yourself? Mind passing along a pdf? Super helpful for valets I'm sure.

JohnTc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

MosquitoFloss

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thanks for posting that John!
I’m going to put it to use.

theishu

Dream Car Unlocked
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sure. Anyone who lives in the US that asks can get a couple. Just send your mailing address to me at cardhook@jollylogic.com. My treat.
Received your gift in the mail a couple of days before the car arrived, John. Thank you for the very kind gesture. You're a mensch!

Heckler

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After seeing John's post, I went in search of and found a vertical variant that I think works even better (will fit the valet pegboards better). I ordered on and it works BRILLIANTLY, thanks for the initial post John!:

Bob W

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just punched a hole in the card so the valet can put a split ring on it. The hole is about half way between the T in Tesla and the edge of the card and inline with Tesla. I saw where others had xray'd their cards to see where the antenna is and it runs around the edge of the card about 1/8" in from the edge. You can almost see it in the image. The bump at the upper right is the chip.

IMG_20180925_171456170.jpg