Abstract Ocean Lights - Trunk Installation Issues

GatorAdam

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
So I installed the Abstract Ocean Lights on the bottom of the doors. Puddle light T's up front and just regular in the back. No problems at all.

I moved to the trunk and got the old lights out, but in putting the new ones in I was unable to secure the bezel behind the felt. In one of them the bezel actually cracked. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures yet. Any suggestions for getting the abstract ocean lights into the bezels again (I sent Tesla an email asking to get a new bezel for the one that cracked).

Thanks, Adam

Sandy

One obsession to the next
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
So I installed the Abstract Ocean Lights on the bottom of the doors. Puddle light T's up front and just regular in the back. No problems at all.

I moved to the trunk and got the old lights out, but in putting the new ones in I was unable to secure the bezel behind the felt. In one of them the bezel actually cracked. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures yet. Any suggestions for getting the abstract ocean lights into the bezels again (I sent Tesla an email asking to get a new bezel for the one that cracked).

Thanks, Adam
Hey Adam. Same here in June. The bezel doesn’t fit. Just install the light snapped into the trunk liner. You can just leave the bezel for if you switch back to stock. No bezel = no issue. It’s secure and functions fine. Hope this helps.

GatorAdam

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Hey Adam. Same here in June. The bezel doesn’t fit. Just install the light snapped into the trunk liner. You can just leave the bezel for if you switch back to stock. No bezel = no issue. It’s secure and functions fine. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I was think that it seemed pretty secure. Now to remove the lights again, take the bezels out so they don't rattle around and store them in a safe place.

Dogwhistle

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, I just put the bezels in a plastic baggy and saved them for later. Lights seem to be staying in just fine without them.

sakaike

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Someone else posted in another thread that even the broken bezel (assuming it is only broken on one side and not snapped into 2 or more pieces, still provides a little bit more grip than just the liner alone. In my case, I was lucky. I pulled back the liner and pushed the light into the liner and bezel all together and managed to get everything to install nicely without breaking a bezel. But it was really, really tight and required quite a bit of force. Hopefully, I will never have to do it again. But yes, if a bezel breaks, the liner will indeed hold the light module just fine.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
same issue here - I snapped one retaining ring halfway by accident and then was more careful with the other one. Turned out the only one I could reinstall was the one I damaged, so I went ahead and damaged the other one too. Still in place 4 weeks later. No issues

Cintoman

Same happened to me when I installed the AO LED's in the trunk. No matter what I did, I could not get the bezel back in place. I ended up cracking both of mine, but still kept them installed. With the new lights, the cracked bezel still gives and extra measure of hold, and they fit around the new LEDs, but do have a 1/16" gap in the bezel from the crack. It still fits pretty tight.

--Cintoman