Adding Tesla Solar in Texas

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My net metering works on a tracking system of energy.... so far I have sent approximately 1000 kWh to the grid, so I can draw up to 1000 kWh from the grid at any time at no cost. If at any point that I use more than I have banked, I will start to pay normal rates like any customer. Once a year, in May, there is a reconciliation where they would pay me for any excess, and we start the net tracking with a fresh slate. They will pay me full retail rate, but only for the supplier portion, not for distribution. Although rates fluctuate, this is roughly that I will get paid 7 cents/ kWh for any excess, but if I’ve had to buy any during the winter, I will pay that rate plus also have a distribution rate of approximately 7 cents/kWh. So realistically I only get reimbursed for half the rate I have to buy it at. It is my goal to come out flush, with nothing to buy and nothing to sell.
You are lucky in this regard. I cant stack up credits for the winter or summer. They do the reconciliation on a monthly basis. They do NOT pay for any excess produced in the month and I pay full rate for anything over I produce.
I will see how this works out. If I overproduce, I will charge the car more and during the high use months, I will charge the car at work more where it is free ;)

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I certainly hope they can do your installation to maximize your rebates. Wish you all the best on that.

On powerwalls, would love to understand their distribution and who actually gets them. As it had been in the news that there were PW shortages, I specifically enquired about their availability, and was told we have them locally. That was January 2018. But then they weren’t available and I agreed in May to separate the solar installation, and that PW’s could follow this Fall. After much silence and unanswered emails, I finally got a response that it will be 2019. I’m not holding my breath that even that will come to be. Luckily I am firmly rooted in understanding that PWs are a want not a need for my situation. Still wish Tesla could be more forthcoming. And will be very interested if you have the same (I hope not) or different experience on the PWs.
I sure hope so.

Regarding PW. My REP said they had them in all the warehouses now. Meaning their SOLAR CITY installer warehouses.
He told me that their priority was for customers that ordered PW and SOLAR together on the SAME contract. They would get them first then the people that ordered them as stand alone systems. He didn't specify if someone ordered them after the fact of a solar install (their Solar or someone elses install), but I assume they would be in with the bucket of folks who want stand alone PWs.

So I had a SOLAR contract and instead of a separate one for PWs (this idea came a few days after the Solar Deal), he wanted to redo the contract to include them for this reason. Now they have also made new plans to include them. So we have everything at the Utility now and are cleared on that end.
I should have HOA approval on Monday as they said the new design would comply with the guidelines :rolleyes:.
Then just waiting on building permits.

They may just schedule it so I will stop calling. LOL!

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So this is fun....
We were at the local Kroger Grocery store and I saw a big Hot Wheels display. I thought I would look for the new STARMAN roadster. No luck, but I found this...:p:D:cool: How apropo!

IMG_1477.jpg

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So update on the Solar plans...

HOA Approved
Utility Approved
Permits Secured :p
Install scheduled for ……...wait for it ………… March 5,6 !!!! Ahhhhhhh, No.

That makes 5 months from initial contact and 4 months from now. Not acceptable in my book. But the contract says approximate start date is 4-6 months after signing. So what can I say?
Well, I say No. The Rebates from the Utility are only good if the system is installed this year. Else I would have to reply for the rebates after February 1st, IF they have rebates next year. I would rather take what they are offering now. So they have me on the short list to call if there is an opening.
Apparently they have 3 crews in the DFW area (really, 3?) and they are booked solid. Now they know this is a problem and are apparently going to be traveling some crews here soon to help out (yeah and I got a bridge to sell ya), which may open some spots. :rolleyes:

Bigriver

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
So update on the Solar plans...

HOA Approved
Utility Approved
Permits Secured :p
Install scheduled for ……...wait for it ………… March 5,6 !!!! Ahhhhhhh, No.

That makes 5 months from initial contact and 4 months from now. Not acceptable in my book. But the contract says approximate start date is 4-6 months after signing. So what can I say?
Well, I say No. The Rebates from the Utility are only good if the system is installed this year. Else I would have to reply for the rebates after February 1st, IF they have rebates next year. I would rather take what they are offering now. So they have me on the short list to call if there is an opening.
Apparently they have 3 crews in the DFW area (really, 3?) and they are booked solid. Now they know this is a problem and are apparently going to be traveling some crews here soon to help out (yeah and I got a bridge to sell ya), which may open some spots. :rolleyes:
I had been wondering how things were progressing for you. So sorry to hear this. But don’t totally give up yet. There really might be a chance that an installation opening happens. I was called at 5 pm one day and asked “can we install tomorrow?”

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had been wondering how things were progressing for you. So sorry to hear this. But don’t totally give up yet. There really might be a chance that an installation opening happens. I was called at 5 pm one day and asked “can we install tomorrow?”
Thanks. I hope that happens! I am really wanting to do this. It's like I cant give ELON enough money!

BTW, I see you are 2 days from delivery! I am sure you are ready.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wo - Really 4 to 6 months? That is insane. They've got to learn to scale better than this. Unfortunately it is starting to show that a car production line isn't the only thing they aren't able to grow and manage very quickly. Are they limited on the crews because the production of panels is slow and behind or truly they just don't have enough install crews and they need to hire?

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wo - Really 4 to 6 months? That is insane. They've got to learn to scale better than this. Unfortunately it is starting to show that a car production line isn't the only thing they aren't able to grow and manage very quickly. Are they limited on the crews because the production of panels is slow and behind or truly they just don't have enough install crews and they need to hire?
Apparently solar is more popular here then I thought. I don’t see it being in a coop with low prices as much as other areas. Now they “said” inventory isn’t the problem. They have panels and Powerwalls. They say. They just don’t have enoug crews. Maybe they were caught flat footed at a time of increased demand or they are cautious to add crews for softer projections ahead? IDK.
But I bet if they had a crew available tomorrow, they still wouldn’t be able to do it as I hear stories of guys waiting long times for their PWs.

If they don’t do it before the EOY, I will consider it an epic fail and I will either cancel the whole thing or take my business elsewhere. But where would that be? Another solar company I spoke with said they were 6 months out to get Powerwalls from Tesla. I could just go with straight solar with someone else and get a PW later but if that is what I wanted to do, that is what I would have done.

Sigh.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Of course I could just let the contract roll until they can do it. And either get a new utility rebate or see if they will eat the difference. But such a long time is not acceptable in my book, and I won’t pay more for the system. Period.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Still waiting for a sooner date for install. I called them a couple days ago and was told they will be bringing some crews in from El Paso after Thanksgiving. Not holding my breath.
brat-holding-breath.jpg
That said, they rolled out a price drop on the panels yesterday. I posted this in another solar thread but here are some of the details.
So I called last night about the price drop. Not quite a 20% or even a 10% cut. They have just cut the price of the actual panels. Not the install, inverters or anything else.
So while it may be a big cut in the Panel price, it turned out to be only a 6.5% price cut overall. Since the price went down, so did my Tax Credit.
So after all is said and done, my proposed 49 panel system with 2 powerwalls, the price dropped by $2,056 or about 4.5%. So not allot but I'll take it. It should shave another 15 months my payback time.

Now if I cam just get an install date before the EOY