Adding tint along top of windshield?

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging until FERUARY 1 2019 all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them this code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • Join @TrevP for Cars and Coffee in South Florida on Feb 3rd! More details here.

Triangles

Country
Country
I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet or maybe I'm just bad at searching. I think I would really like a tint along the top of the windshield. Most cars I've had have had a tint along the top few inches of the windshield. I like how this helps to cut down on glare. Having been involved in windshield manufacture and knowing how this tint is manufactured into the windshield I understand why Tesla didn't do this as it would have caused problems with the forward looking cameras. I have no experience with aftermarket window tinting and I have a feeling I would not be happy with the bottom edge being a hardline. Anyway I was just throwing this out to get other people's thoughts and/or experiences with tinting the top of the windshield in other vehicles.

Triangles

Country
Country
Also I've never had any window tint done. I am thinking about the getting just the side windows tinted. I know there is a wide range of quality in window tint films. Can anyone point me to some resources that I could use to educate myself on what is available?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet or maybe I'm just bad at searching. I think I would really like a tint along the top of the windshield. Most cars I've had have had a tint along the top few inches of the windshield. I like how this helps to cut down on glare. Having been involved in windshield manufacture and knowing how this tint is manufactured into the windshield I understand why Tesla didn't do this as it would have caused problems with the forward looking cameras. I have no experience with aftermarket window tinting and I have a feeling I would not be happy with the bottom edge being a hardline. Anyway I was just throwing this out to get other people's thoughts and/or experiences with tinting the top of the windshield in other vehicles.
I’ve had this before (known as a “tint strip”). It goes on the inside of the glass so it would be cut around the housing with the forward facing cameras.

It’s always going to be a hard edge because it’s generally fairly dark.

I opted to not get it because I love “the glass”.

quadmasta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My whole windshield is done in 70% and there's a strip at the top that stops where the bezel behind the mirror stops that's 20%
All of the film is carbon ceramic that rejects 90% of UV heat. It's Rayno Phantom S9 film.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
+1 on the ceramic film being the best in stopping heat gain. I have it on all my cars (except the new M3). They make a clear film for the windshield that would stop the heat gain here in SoCal, which I am considering.

I use 70% transmission on the front door windows for night time visibility and darker on the back doors and rear windows.

M3 will get the windows done when they put on the clear bra on the front (have to wait 30 days on new paint).

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also I've never had any window tint done. I am thinking about the getting just the side windows tinted. I know there is a wide range of quality in window tint films. Can anyone point me to some resources that I could use to educate myself on what is available?
Start Here:https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/window-tint.4796/
Just some light reading going on 27-pages of EVERYTHING tint related ;)

Attached are some of different tint brands and spec sheets. Mine was done in Llumar Pinnacle Ceramic 40% (Sides, Sunroof and 1-Piece Rear).

IMG_0414.jpeg

Attachments