Adding tint along top of windshield?

Discussion in 'Customizing & Modifications' started by Triangles, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Triangles

Expand Collapse

Country
    I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet or maybe I'm just bad at searching. I think I would really like a tint along the top of the windshield. Most cars I've had have had a tint along the top few inches of the windshield. I like how this helps to cut down on glare. Having been involved in windshield manufacture and knowing how this tint is manufactured into the windshield I understand why Tesla didn't do this as it would have caused problems with the forward looking cameras. I have no experience with aftermarket window tinting and I have a feeling I would not be happy with the bottom edge being a hardline. Anyway I was just throwing this out to get other people's thoughts and/or experiences with tinting the top of the windshield in other vehicles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Triangles

Expand Collapse

Country
    Also I've never had any window tint done. I am thinking about the getting just the side windows tinted. I know there is a wide range of quality in window tint films. Can anyone point me to some resources that I could use to educate myself on what is available?

3. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I’ve had this before (known as a “tint strip”). It goes on the inside of the glass so it would be cut around the housing with the forward facing cameras.

It’s always going to be a hard edge because it’s generally fairly dark.

I opted to not get it because I love “the glass”.

4. quadmasta

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    My whole windshield is done in 70% and there's a strip at the top that stops where the bezel behind the mirror stops that's 20%
    All of the film is carbon ceramic that rejects 90% of UV heat. It's Rayno Phantom S9 film.
    [​IMG]