Aero wheels with painted brake calipers

Mohammad

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I am thinking of getting the brake caliper painted red. Has any one gotten their aeros done? Or have you seen any online? I'm wondering how good they'll look.
Thanks.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was planning on doing some color on the calipers, but I haven't decided yet. A full Red on my Red Model 3 might be a bit of overkill; perhaps red only on the machined flat area with the "Tesla" engraving for the front wheels. Or maybe I'll just fill the "Tesla" engraving with bright red. The rear wheels are a bit more of a problem, no real good place to put a highlight there.

NathanBrown

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I drove next to a Model 3 with Aero's, and you can definitely still see through to the brake calipers when moving. If you like the look, it will still work for you. :)

Frank99

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm no longer rocking the Aero caps; I don't find them aesthetically pleasing, and they don't improve range, so they're in a box. Leaving the Calipers more exposed...

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'm no longer rocking the Aero caps; I don't find them aesthetically pleasing, and they don't improve range, so they're in a box. Leaving the Calipers more exposed...
I think they do improve range at highway speeds.

JohnTc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was planning on doing some color on the calipers, but I haven't decided yet. A full Red on my Red Model 3 might be a bit of overkill; perhaps red only on the machined flat area with the "Tesla" engraving for the front wheels. Or maybe I'll just fill the "Tesla" engraving with bright red. The rear wheels are a bit more of a problem, no real good place to put a highlight there.
You can do other colors besides red so its sticks out more.

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Google it and you will see some examples. Myself, I'm a purist. I think red should signify Performance.

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Man I wish I had known how nice those sport wheels look powder coated before i ordered mine. the only reason i got the 18's is because they were dark and not bright. My last car has 20's and i really liked them, but it was also a good foot longer than the 3 so it could support them.
My 2011 M56 S.jpeg

Frank99

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Those wheels look marvelous.

DXF

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I think they do improve range at highway speeds.
Yeah, there's been a reasonable number of datapoints from owners that suggest the caps by themselves improves efficiency about 3%, maybe a touch more (the narrower 18" wheels without caps are also about that much better again than the 19"). That's my plan. Leave them off "around town" and put them on for road trips. My version of "around town" also includes portions of highway speeds for me but expect any cruising at the speed to be generally swamped by the rest of the driving.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country

Mohammad

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Has anyone seen any aero wheels painted? The rear wheels are what's holding me back. Not sure if it would look nice.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone seen any aero wheels painted? The rear wheels are what's holding me back. Not sure if it would look nice.
There's a thread on using plastidip on the aero wheels:
Plasti-dipping the aero wheels

The thread gets a little off-topic into painting the wheels too.
This post shows aero wheels painted red:
https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/plasti-dipping-the-aero-wheels.5015/page-3#post-51579

@teslarob painted his aero wheels silver and shared some photos:
https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/plasti-dipping-the-aero-wheels.5015/page-3#post-63254
https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/plasti-dipping-the-aero-wheels.5015/page-3#post-63336

@Jldil painted his a darker silver using a plastidip-type of product:
https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/plasti-dipping-the-aero-wheels.5015/page-5#post-91121

@android04 made his a really dark gray:
https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/plasti-dipping-the-aero-wheels.5015/page-5#post-106377

HTH!

Mohammad

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Sorry I should have been clearer. I meant painting the brake calipers. Not the covers. The 18" wheels have a different brake caliper for the rear wheels.
Like this:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/N...Xvz4iSVpm0Z8dRcXNlfSqWFYuA3SflnU=w866-h805-no

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mohammad, the calipers are the same for all current production Model 3s. No difference based on wheel size.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country