Aftermarket ski pass through kit

m3_4_wifey

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
We hope to use our model 3 to get to the mountain for skiing. I know you try and use the 60/40 split and push two rear passengers next to each other, but having the skiis, 2x4', or whatever long thing down the middle can give the rear passengers more room.

Does anyone sell an aftermarket kit for a ski pass through or done a DIY project that has done this with a Model S or 3? I didn't find much in my internet search, but maybe most people just decide to strap on whatever long thing they need to carry onto the roof.

I'm assuming that because the Model 3 has a center arm rest/cup holder that you can pull down that there isn't much structure in the seat back there, and that a sawzall or other cutting tool could make the opening rather quickly. Keeping it look clean is a different story. :)

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
We hope to use our model 3 to get to the mountain for skiing. I know you try and use the 60/40 split and push two rear passengers next to each other, but having the skiis, 2x4', or whatever long thing down the middle can give the rear passengers more room.

Does anyone sell an aftermarket kit for a ski pass through or done a DIY project that has done this with a Model S or 3? I didn't find much in my internet search, but maybe most people just decide to strap on whatever long thing they need to carry onto the roof.

I'm assuming that because the Model 3 has a center arm rest/cup holder that you can pull down that there isn't much structure in the seat back there, and that a sawzall or other cutting tool could make the opening rather quickly. Keeping it look clean is a different story. :)
IMO, it's going to be difficult to get 4 pairs of skis through any reasonable hole you cut through the back of the center armrest unless they are cross-country skis or perhaps alpine touring skis with Dynafit/tech style bindings. And if there are only three pair, unless one person is a non-skier, you will only have three people in the car anyway and can just use the 60/40 feature. Our Volvo S80 has the ski pass-through in the center and it came in handy 7 or 8 times in the 19 years we owned the car and used it for skiing but the passthrough was tight with four pair of modern skis and any hole you cut will be at least a little smaller than that. But the center seat is a viable option for a fourth passenger if the trip is not too long or the passenger is a child.

Plus, most skiers I know bring two pairs of skis if possible. It's often nice to have a wider pair for powder in the morning and a narrower pair for more speed/carving in the afternoon. If you use the 60/40 feature you will be limited to three full adult seats but will have plenty of room for extra skis.

But I'm with you on not messing with ski racks or top boxes! I like having my skis inside.