Aftermarket Speaker Question

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Has anyone tried installing aftermarket speakers? I found the medium and high-range response in the 3 to be lacking. It was muted and muddy to my ears.

Crutchfield currently doesn't have any data on speakers for the Model 3. Does anyone know of a set of speakers that would fit?

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You're the first person to be disappointed in the 3's sound system.

Congrats! :)

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone tried installing aftermarket speakers? I found the medium and high-range response in the 3 to be lacking. It was muted and muddy to my ears.

Crutchfield currently doesn't have any data on speakers for the Model 3. Does anyone know of a set of speakers that would fit?
It's likely an issue with your source quality or compression, not the speakers.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
You're the first person to be disappointed in the 3's sound system.

Congrats! :)
LOL. I didn't want to be disappointed. I listen to a lot of electronic music, and there's really a lot of detail in the mid and high range. If the mids and highs are lacking, you can be missing half of the song!

It's likely an issue with your source quality or compression, not the speakers.
Possibly. I don't have my 3 yet. My experience is based on listening to a couple of songs on Slacker in the showroom. Does the in-car Slacker have heavy compression?

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have my 3 yet. My experience is based on listening to a couple of songs on Slacker in the showroom. Does the in-car Slacker have heavy compression?
Peace! :rolleyes:

Point 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Possibly. I don't have my 3 yet. My experience is based on listening to a couple of songs on Slacker in the showroom. Does the in-car Slacker have heavy compression?
You mean not while driving the car?
Hopefully if you actually get one you will spend more time driving it than sitting in it.
Did you get a chance to set the equalizer while sitting in the showroom?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'm confused.

You mean not while driving the car?
Hopefully if you actually get one you will spend more time driving it than sitting in it.
Did you get a chance to set the equalizer while sitting in the showroom?
I want my car to sound great whether it's in motion or not. Of course with a bunch of road and wind noise, the mids and highs will be even harder to hear. Yeah, I played with the equalizer, cranked the mids and highs all the way up.

Brett

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does the in-car Slacker have heavy compression?
By default I think the Slacker streams are 128kbps MP3 (which would explain your dislike of the quality). If you log-in with a Slacker Premium account it streams at a higher bitrate (320kbps I think). I would retest with a higher quality source before buying new speakers.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
By default I think the Slacker streams are 128kbps MP3 (which would explain your dislike of the quality). If you log-in with a Slacker Premium account it streams at a higher bitrate (320kbps I think). I would retest with a higher quality source before buying new speakers.
I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info!

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sound quality is subjective since there are so many factors involved.

I’ve got a Bower’s & Wilkins setup at home with dual powered subs and a seperate Rotel amp going to each speaker + acoustic panels for the room... everything is set with a sound meter to have a neutral response. IMHO the Model 3 sound system sounds just as good as my home system.

Have you played with the immersive audio settings as well? There is off, low, and high I think... It lifts up the sound stage and widens it by activating the A pillar speakers up high in the pillars and probably some center speakers dow at the base of the windshield... the setup seem very similar to the aftermarket kits that CDT audio has.

What is your home audio system or main listening rig consist of? If your ears have gotten used to other brands sound signatures then the Model 3 system might not sound as good to you. For instance my ears are used to the Bowers & Wilkins/ Rotel sound and I can’t stand how Klipsch sounds because of that.

Other things to consider is that as you get older you might be loosing high and mid frequencies in your hearing as well.

There’s a TSportline youtube where they install a new audio system in a Tesla Model 3... pretty much anything will fit... just match the sizes.

Lastly you mention you where in a showroom? Was all the doors closed especially the trunk? The sub woofer is in the trunk and the rear shelf is perforated... probably for the subwoofer. If the trunk was open then that is going to effect the sound as well...

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Wow, thank you for your thoughtful response!

I live in an apartment :(, so I do most of my listening on headphones. My favorite headphones are my Audio-Technica ATH-50Xs. They have excellent clarity and range. I also spend a lot of time listening to my old Klipsch IMAGE S4 ear buds and also my Sony WH-1000xM2s.

As far as home audio goes, most of my listening experience is based on my friend's Klipsches.

Thanks for telling me about the TSportline video! I'll go look for it.

I think the driver-side door was open in the showroom and I'm pretty sure everything else was closed.

Your description of the immersive sound setting is very helpful!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a 128Gb USB Stick with all my music in FLAC. It plays through the stock system in the 3 really well.

I don't really use slacker as I don't like the fact you can't request the same song twice in a 24 hour period. Very annoying. But when I have listened, the audio quality is bearable, but not great.

Like Panda, I'm used to the B&W sound (I lived next door to their factory in the UK so I'm a bit of a fanboy - I've even heard the Nautilus), but now I build my own cabinets.

The top is a little flat in the 3, but I've found you can overcome that with some tweaking of the EQ. I think that's on purpose because the sub is in the trunk. I also have immersive to low as low/high activates the speakers in the A pillar.

Also, being a new car, be aware that a brand new car has brand driver units, which take about 80 hours to run in - so a showroom car won't give you a accurate representation of the long term sound. For that you're better off listening to the stereo of a current owner.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
That T Sportline video was very helpful:

I think I want to see how far I can push the sound quality leaving everything stock except the mids and tweeters. I don't want to install an amp if I can help it.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That T Sportline video was very helpful:

I think I want to see how far I can push the sound quality leaving everything stock except the mids and tweeters. I don't want to install an amp if I can help it.
Firstly, remember they're trying to sell you something. Secondly, who makes the Tesla driver units? They don't make them in-house, so saying "using name brand drivers" doesn't mean anything; the Tesla ones were made (I'd guess) by a named brand for them, it's just not obvious because the manufacturer isn't plastered over the drivers.

Also, paper cones are not bad. I hate this meme. Provided they're treated paper cones, they're perfectly adequate - especially in woofers. The problem is they just don't look very sexy, or sell very well because people like exotic materials.

B&W 801s use a paper bass cone. The term "paper cone" can range from an untreated Bose driver (crap) to a highly treated Kevlar impregnated or carbon infused paper driver. If you like EDM, you've probably heard of the Funktion Ones? (if not, Google it) Guess what: they use "paper" cones, and they sound epic.

Creating a sound system is like creating a football team - buying the "best" (which is subjective anyway) components and shoving them together is like buying all the best footballers - it doesn't necessary create a good "team", it's just expensive!

Having said that, the tweeters and the mids are probably the best things to replace if you feel the need, so you're on the right track.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Perhaps someone here can answer a quick question for me. I understand putting subs in the trunk as the sound is non-directional. And since Tesla put the sub in the trunk they put a grill on the rear window deck to allow the sound through to the passenger compartment. But that also allows road noise into the passenger compartment. I have order the Weathertec trunk mat to help reduce the road noise (this method worked really well in my Volt). Would it not be better to mount the sub under the rear window deck? It would give better base and would stop a bit of the road noise especially if it was enclosed. Thoughts? Opinions?

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Firstly, remember they're trying to sell you something. Secondly, who makes the Tesla driver units? They don't make them in-house, so saying "using name brand drivers" doesn't mean anything; the Tesla ones were made (I'd guess) by a named brand for them, it's just not obvious because the manufacturer isn't plastered over the drivers.
The amps are Harmon branded, and they most likely do all the audio components, as they do the high-end audio systems for BMW and many others. That said, their quality varies (probably depending on client demand and cost). I've paid for premium Harmon Kardon systems in my last three cars, the first two were excellent (but different), the latest one not near the same quality. But they are one of the top OEM audio designers, and know what they're doing when it comes to audio. [I would not say the same for their HMI and usability, all generations have had blatant bugs and idiotic usability choices...thankfully Tesla is in control of that part!]

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The amps are Harmon branded, and they most likely do all the audio components, as they do the high-end audio systems for BMW and many others. That said, their quality varies (probably depending on client demand and cost). I've paid for premium Harmon Kardon systems in my last three cars, the first two were excellent (but different), the latest one not near the same quality. But they are one of the top OEM audio designers, and know what they're doing when it comes to audio. [I would not say the same for their HMI and usability, all generations have had blatant bugs and idiotic usability choices...thankfully Tesla is in control of that part!]
Didn’t know the amps are Harmon Kardon in the Model 3. With the A pillar speaker placement and the speaker grill at the base of the windshield I always thought it was CDT Audio speakers.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I spotted the amp in the recently posted video adding dual dash cams...he pulled off the C-pillar and exposed a big Harmon-branded box. I suppose it could be an airbag controller, but seems to big for that, and I don't think they do that kind of thing.
Obviously if I had one of my own I would confirm.
Harmon-Kardon is their consumer-facing brand, OEM stuff is just Harmon branded.