1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Amperage for Wall Connector

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by stebuu, Oct 2, 2017.

More threads by stebuu
  1. stebuu

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Chelmsford, MA
    Country
    I am getting ready to install my Wall Connector in preparation for my Model 3, and I had a couple questions:

1) What should I set the internal amperage inside the wall connector to? I am planning on it being on a 100 amp circuit to future-proof, but I know that my model 3 can only handle 60A. I would assume that the Wall Connector would adjust the current flow and that setting the wall connector to the full 100A would be safe, but I don't like to assume.

2) Would it be better for the battery to set the wall charger to a lower amperage, say 40A? I am planning on keeping the battery at 80% charge almost all the time, and I would like to get a decade out of my model 3, so I'm willing to baby the battery a bit.

2. Kizzy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    48 amps is the max the long range battery charger will accept. The car can also be set to a lower max amperage it will charge at from a wall charger. The wall charger will charge your car at the max that it will accept.

If you plan on adding a second wall charger for another car (in daisy chain fashion), I believe the higher amperage can be split between them to maximize charge rate between cars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    100 amps isn't a terrible idea but you can always get a new breaker down the line. If you want to use 48 amp then yeah depending on your electrical code then yeah you'd need a 60 amp as you need 20% buffer. That also depends on what EVSE you end up choosing. As for the charge speed you're not going to do anything to the battery by running the charge rate at the full 48. Only suggestion there is just supercharge when you need it. It's a bit stressful on the battery and cooling. Especially with an air cooled battery like the Leaf.

4. TheStig

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Stamford
    Country
    My understanding is the model 3 in standard battery charges at 32amps, the long range battery 40amps from the included UMC or the Tesla Wall connector. Same rates would apply to using J1772 and the included adapter. Only The model S and X can get to 48amps off the Wall connector (Or 80 amps if ordered with the dual charger option).

When installing power for most any EV Tesla or other a 50amp breaker feeding 6 gauge wire to a 14-50 receptacle (outlet) is all you really need. The UMC that is included with all Tesla’s will plug right in, and any other J1772 EVSE up to 50 Amps. Anything bigger must be hardwired.

5. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TheStig

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Stamford
    Country
    I read that shorty after posting. Didn’t the press kit or delivery event slides show 32 and 40 amp for the respective battery packs? We’ll take the 48 amp limit for those who go all out with the Wall connector on a 60A breaker at least on the extended battery. Standard battery remains a mystery for now.

7. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Yes. In particular, the presskit says:
    • Short Range: Home charging rate: 30 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 32A)
    • Long Range: Home charging rate: 37 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 40A)
    Given that the presskit mentions a 240v outlet, we can assume that they're talking about charging with a Mobile Connector instead of a Wall Connector. The two rates would appear to correspond to the two different kinds of UMC's that @RiggerJon received with his car.

8. Model34mePlease

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Monterey, CA
    Country
    Why do you think those charge rates are with the UMC. The Tesla store seems to indicate the new UMC is supplied with the Model 3 and is limited to 32A.

9. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    We've already seen that the car's built-in charger goes up to 48 amps, so it's not the car. And the presskit mentions a 240v outlet. And we know the new MC only goes to 32 amps.
    My guess is that the new one will be delivered with short range cars, while long range cars will get the old one that goes to 40 amps.

10. Impatient

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    North Texas
    Country
    To answer the OP's original question: The car is irrelevant for your specific question. If the wall charger is being installed on a 100-amp circuit, you must set the internal wall charger setting to 100 amps.*

What you then draw from the car is an entirely different matter and is wholly based upon the settings that you make within the car.

IOW, the dial inside the wall charger is not answering the question "What amperage is my car going to want from this charger?" The dial inside the charger answers the question "What is the maximum amperage available from the electrical panel to the charger?"

*This, of course, assumes that your panel has the capacity to deliver 100 amps to the charger and that the wiring between the two is suitable

**I guess you could set a lower charge limit using the internal dial on the charger, but if you're putting the charger on a 100-amp circuit, why would you cripple the charger via its settings? The car can't draw more than the car can draw.