An AP suggestion

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Milo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
When on the highway (or anywhere really) and AP sees brake lights, how about a just barely noticeable slowdown? With human drivers, it is common to slightly let off the gas when you see brake lights, so this would have the dual impact of 1) making the driving more "natural" feeling; and 2) letting the driver (and his/her passenger) know that the car sees the brake lights and is "on it."

To be clear, I don't think this changes or improves safety at all, but would improve acceptance of the tech. Also, my wife won't freak out when she sees brake lights and the car keeps barreling forward...

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But this is a false sense and not how it works. How many people touch their brakes when they should have just let off of the accelerator a bit. The cars radar KNOWS when the car in front is slowing down, not just when the person wants to touch their brakes - especially with a driver that drives with both feet !!

Don't ask the car to do things it shouldn't to gain her trust.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But this is a false sense and not how it works. How many people touch their brakes when they should have just let off of the accelerator a bit. The cars radar KNOWS when the car in front is slowing down, not just when the person wants to touch their brakes - especially with a driver that drives with both feet !!

I absolutely agree with @GDN. Far too many drivers out there ride the brakes or touch them for no reason then don't even slow down at all. Our cars react to movement and not false impressions from others. I personally love it the way it is now but I also understand why you want it to "drive like a human". How much has your wife driven the Model 3? Maybe with more time behind the wheel would gain her "trust" of the system.

Milo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country

To be fair, I agree that the car is behaving perfectly correctly. And perhaps we all just need to be more trusting in the tech. Still, we want to encourage adoption, and I think things that instill confidence in the system will help move it forward.

kort677

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
apparently noting that many people who are just beginning their journey into the world of tesla is jarring to some, however I believe my suggestion to become interactive with the AP system is a good skill to acquire. I too find that when you are driving on a roadway and are coming up on slowed/stopped traffic the ap system is slow to react and then applies the brakes was too harshly for my and many other people's comfort. so in order to mitigate that harsh stopping you should become more interactive, when you see that there is stopped traffic ahead, disengage the AP and allow the regen to slow you down at a much more even level.

babula

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
apparently noting that many people who are just beginning their journey into the world of tesla is jarring to some, however I believe my suggestion to become interactive with the AP system is a good skill to acquire. I too find that when you are driving on a roadway and are coming up on slowed/stopped traffic the ap system is slow to react and then applies the brakes was too harshly for my and many other people's comfort. so in order to mitigate that harsh stopping you should become more interactive, when you see that there is stopped traffic ahead, disengage the AP and allow the regen to slow you down at a much more even level.
This is exactly what I do and it works perfectly. Not only is this smoother in general, but you'll avoid riding your breaks.

Might be obvious but worth a note, be cautious with limited regen breaking because this wont work as well.

RichEV

M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
I have sometimes handled this by fast-scrolling the TACC speed down a notch or two when I would normally let off the accelerator in response to stopped cars ahead. Works well and leaves the AP on. It is also smoother than disengaging AP, and no beep.

Babar Batla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have others noticed the aggressive acceleration with builds after 39.7? Things got a lot smoother with that first v9 build. I thought all those cameras helped them get more optics on what is happening and thus allowed to improve the smoothness. But the builds after have regressed to non natural (atleast compar d to my way of driving on the freeway) driving. Braking is ok, but certainly the car is in a hurry to catch up to the set max or car in front. Apparent when slow car moves out of the way. And if the next car is just a few car lengths ahead, you get this quick acceleration and deceleration. Very unsettling for passengers.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have others noticed the aggressive acceleration with builds after 39.7? Things got a lot smoother with that first v9 build. I thought all those cameras helped them get more optics on what is happening and thus allowed to improve the smoothness. But the builds after have regressed to non natural (atleast compar d to my way of driving on the freeway) driving. Braking is ok, but certainly the car is in a hurry to catch up to the set max or car in front. Apparent when slow car moves out of the way. And if the next car is just a few car lengths ahead, you get this quick acceleration and deceleration. Very unsettling for passengers.
I've only noticed a slightly more jerky stop/go on EAP, but TACC is very smooth. Odd that they would not track speed and slowing identically, but at least in my car, they do not.

Ed Woodrick

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When on the highway (or anywhere really) and AP sees brake lights, how about a just barely noticeable slowdown? With human drivers, it is common to slightly let off the gas when you see brake lights, so this would have the dual impact of 1) making the driving more "natural" feeling; and 2) letting the driver (and his/her passenger) know that the car sees the brake lights and is "on it."

To be clear, I don't think this changes or improves safety at all, but would improve acceptance of the tech. Also, my wife won't freak out when she sees brake lights and the car keeps barreling forward...
Sure, it may could be done, but no need to. When you can measure the distance to the car in front of you accurately, it is much easier to just use the distance.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country

I like this idea if properly implemented.

If it sees a potential slowdown ahead, it would increase efficiency and make for a more comfortable ride if TACC and EAP sets a "flag" which prevents the application of power momentarily. The car would coast rather than accelerate into the brake lights. Then, if no actionable slowdown occurs (via radar) and the car has slowed more than the threshold (perhaps one MPH), the flag is removed and the car carries on as if nothing happened. Since the car is always varying the power from slight regen to application of power, there would be instances where the flag had no effect. But it would prevent the application of power right before a slowdown is detected by radar and make for a somewhat more natural experience. The camera can detect brake lights when the cars ahead are still out of range of radar.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like this idea if properly implemented.

If it sees a potential slowdown ahead, it would increase efficiency and make for a more comfortable ride if TACC and EAP sets a "flag" which prevents the application of power momentarily. The car would coast rather than accelerate into the brake lights. Then, if no actionable slowdown occurs (via radar) and the car has slowed more than the threshold (perhaps one MPH), the flag is removed and the car carries on as if nothing happened. Since the car is always varying the power from slight regen to application of power, there would be instances where the flag had no effect. But it would prevent the application of power right before a slowdown is detected by radar and make for a somewhat more natural experience. The camera can detect brake lights when the cars ahead are still out of range of radar.
Brake lights are just another data point that can be taken in to consideration by TACC / EAP.

When driving my ICE vehicles, brakes lights cause me to focus my attention and lift my foot from the accelerator. This behavior has served me well as brake lights often really do mean vehicles will be slowing. I would not mind at all if my Model 3 very gently backed off an extra car length when brake lights were visible.