1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

An Overdue Introduction

Discussion in 'Personal Introductions' started by Bobby Garrity, Mar 7, 2017.

More threads by Bobby Garrity
  1. Bobby Garrity

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    North Massapequa, NY
    Country
    #1 Bobby Garrity, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Hey everyone. So I have been on the forum for well over a month now, but I have not yet taken the time to formerly introduce myself. My name is Bobby and I am from Long Island, NY. I am currently in college, attending The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where I am currently a sophomore. My primary life goal is to build a technology company that contributes to stopping, and ultimately reversing, climate change. Tesla has been a major inspiration for me regarding this.

Since this is a car forum, let me tell you about my current car. It is a green 2002 Buick Century Custom with somewhere around 130,000km on it. My grandfather was the first owner of the car, and after he died in 2004 my dad had it from then until I started driving. So I am the third Bobby Garrity to own this car.

[​IMG]
    Regarding its condition, it has some scratches, the front windows don't work well, but the engine is in pristine condition. In order to save as much as possible for the Model 3, I won't be putting any money into this car for nonessentials, especially cosmetic things or the windows issue.

But it rides so nice. It is one of the smoothest cars I have ever been in, let alone driven. It is an amazingly comfortable car that makes me wish more were like it. If I have not yet made it obvious, I love this car. Besides being smooth, it is very easy to drive and handles well. Given its condition, I was prepared to use this car for another decade. But given its age, I was afraid that I would not be able to find a worthy successor.

But then I discovered Tesla.

I love driving, but I hate emitting CO2. So when I found out that there was a car on its way that was all electric, somewhat affordable, and with no compromises, I got excited. I eventually decided that this was going to be my next car. After Tesla announced that the Model 3 will one day have complete self-driving capability, I saw that the future was closer than I realized. Not long after that, I made my reservation.

I will probably be replacing my Century before it's necessary to do so, and buying the Model 3 before it is economically optimal for me. But that's a sacrifice I am willing to make if it means reducing my carbon footprint. Besides, it wouldn't look too good if the CEO of a clean energy company was driving an old car that burned dinosaurs to get around. Seriously folks, they did that in the 1950's.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Thanks, @Bobby Garrity . Nice to know you better now... Intriguing description of your current car (wow.. 15 yrs. old) understandably so dear to your heart...
    This made me think a new T≡SLA tag line especially for you: 'Model ≡, your car for the new Century'... :D
    Ok, it won't qualify for Project Loveday without images... but may inspire others... :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    @Bobby Garrity welcome to the board! Looks like you're in for a real treat with a Tesla as your new car.

You won't want to try anything else after you try it, something about an electric drive train and the tech makes you wish it happened sooner.

Anyhow, glad to see you participating. Won't be much longer before we see the real deal.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Steve C

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto
    Country
    Yes, welcome aboard!! It's a good crew here.

I was hoping for more details on your 3 kids.... lol. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bobby Garrity

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    North Massapequa, NY
    Country
    Yeah, I've only seen one other person on the forum with an older car than me (besides people who have an old car as a second).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bobby Garrity

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    North Massapequa, NY
    Country
    Indeed I look forward to it. I've never driven an electric car before (actually I've never even touched one), let alone a Tesla. It's going to be something.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bobby Garrity

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    North Massapequa, NY
    Country

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Maybe more... ;) One of them for sure is our classic Citroën aficionado & nature loving friend @MichelT3 from the Netherlands, whom we have not read on this space for a few weeks... greetings to him! :)

9. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    Welcome to the forum fellow Long Islander! I absolutely love driving my model S and as you know, there are not too many on the island. I rarely see a fellow Tesla driver and when I do they NEVER wave :( Maybe i'm used to Corvette drivers and motorcyclists. Two groups that say hello whether it's a nod or wave. I used to do the Corvettes and coffee thing and as a car guy loved talking grease. Now all I do is plug in! (And clean constantly) Such an easy car to care for. I veered off topic there a bit :) Good luck in your quest. My experience tells me this will become the best car you will ever own and you will constantly find reasons to drive. The Model 3 has the potential to be a car loved by 18 to 80 year olds.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Bobby Garrity

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    North Massapequa, NY
    Country
    Where on LI do you live?

11. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    Wantagh,NY
    I take a ride on the Ocean Parkway to get away from traffic at times and gives me a chance to open it up. :)

12. Gary Moore

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mountain House, CA
    Country
    How appropriate I might share this chance to welcome you to the assembly, Bobby, seeing as how the Gaelic derivation of your surname means someone who is a member of an assembly. (Of course, my own surname was stolen from the first lass to come through Ellis Island, when my grandfather decided upon the need to hide from my grandmother's kin.)

Yes, let's move toward the light and mend the carbon cycle. This is the only planet which most of us can reach, so let's not break its usefulness for human habitation. Ya think?

You have me beaten out on old rides. I'll be tossing back a 2004 Nissan Murano into the pool. It has been mine all it's life, unlike your ride with its generations of experience.. Those good ideas of Carlos Ghosn didn't last forever, and apparently, even Nissan agrees, In with the new, out with the old. It will be time for Hiroto Saikawa to steer that ship, come April Fool's Day.

Having started my career at GM, it's nice to hear people say GM was doing some things well, around the turn of the century. Heck, they even named the car Century, now didn't they?

Welcome to the future of driving, wherein driving becomes entirely optional, and catalytic converters become, "What the heck did those old things do, Grandpa?"

"Well, they gave miners in South Africa and Russia something to do with that other stuff which was in the way of getting to the platinum."

13. Bobby Garrity

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    North Massapequa, NY
    Country
    When we get our 3s, let's race at the start of the Seaford-Oyster Bay!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bobby Garrity

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    North Massapequa, NY
    Country
    Wow, I had no idea that's what my name meant.

What did you do at GM?

15. InElonWeTrust

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    CA
    Country
    I'm close with one car that is 13 years old and still in great shape. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. MichelT3

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Steenderen, Netherlands
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Hi Michael. Back for the first time. Getting called on my love for Citroëns, which I can't resist.

Yes, my daily driver is a 1988 Citroën CX diesel, with almost 500.000 km / 300,000 miles. Not yet a classic according to Dutch laws. It will have to last till I get my Model 3. Probably beginning of 2019.
    I also have classic cars from 1964, 1975 and 1977. My wife has a 2011 FIAT 500.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
  17. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Good to have you back, @MichelT3 !! It's been a while... I knew that if I would agitate the magic (Citroën) wand, you'd come back at some point...
    Anyways, lots of stuff happening, we're getting closer to the start of production! Exciting times !!!
    Goede nacht! Good night ! :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    Hardly ever see a Citroën here in the USA. :( I miss the rumble of my old Corvette, just not the constant repairs.

19. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    I'm quoting myself here. When I read my own post I wondered what exactly am I opening up in an EV? :)
    We need to come up with some new sayings for an EV.
    Get on the parkway to ?

20. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    'Let the sparks begin...'? :)

• Like Like x 1