And the award for "Most Pathetically Slow Car Being Replaced By A Model 3" Goes To....

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
So, for fun I downloaded Speed Logic Lite, a racing app that times your vehicle based on your phone's accelerometer and GPS. I found a flat stretch of countryside rosd (difficult here!) and flooredit in my Insight, going as close to redline as I could without making the 743-thousand-km-driven car sputter.

My results:

0-100 kph: 21,06 sec, 395m
1/4 mile: 22,56 sec, 103,8 kph

Can anyone beat that for the slowest-car-being-replaced award? ;)

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nope, can't beat that.

My 2012 Leaf is supposed to do 0-60 mph in 9.6 seconds. Which is still pretty pathetic, but not Insight-level pathetic. You might have to find someone upgrading from an original Beetle or a Hummer to beat that time.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If the car is not even capable of reaching 100 kph, does it win automatically? :)

Bokonon

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmm, I think we'd have to compare 0-50 kph or something similar then ;) What are you driving that can't hit 100?
It was mostly a hypothetical question... :)... although, technically, if I put my e-Golf in Eco+ mode, top speed is electronically limited to 90 kph, max power drops to 72 hp (26 less than your Insight!) and max torque falls to 129 ft-lb (only 6 more than the Insight). So, yeah, in the unlikely event that software-crippled cars are allowed, I've got an entry. :)

At any rate, I think that, once we get an ample field of turtle-cars assembled here, it would be fun to have a virtual drag race! Every contestant would (safely!) take a video of their quarter mile, and someone with video-editing skills would synchronize and combine them all into a Hollywood Squares split-screen. The title would be something like, "World's First Drag Race with an Intermission." ;)

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
It was mostly a hypothetical question... :)... although, technically, if I put my e-Golf in Eco+ mode, top speed is electronically limited to 90 kph, max power drops to 72 hp (26 less than your Insight!) and max torque falls to 129 ft-lb (only 6 more than the Insight). So, yeah, in the unlikely event that software-crippled cars are allowed, I've got an entry. :)

At any rate, I think that, once we get an ample field of turtle-cars assembled here, it would be fun to have a virtual drag race! Every contestant would (safely!) take a video of their quarter mile, and someone with video-editing skills would synchronize and combine them all into a Hollywood Squares split-screen. The title would be something like, "World's First Drag Race with an Intermission." ;)
Lol, you think my Insight has 92hp? I wish! The engine was 67 hp when new, and this dead-battery car is anything but new ;)

Bokonon

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lol, you think my Insight has 92hp? I wish! The engine was 67 hp when new, and this dead-battery car is anything but new ;)
Lazy Googling on my part... forgot to include the model year. :)

Sounds like your aging Insight has all the pep of my '03 Golf TDI when it hit 100K miles with an intake that probably looked something like this:

I don't recall what its 0-60 time was at that point (I drove it mostly in stop-and-go traffic, hence the clogged intake). But I do remember that making a right turn onto a 35-mph street from a dead stop was a life-of-death affair... 0-30 was probably something like 7-8 seconds, even with a manual transmission. :)

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Lazy Googling on my part... forgot to include the model year. :)

Sounds like your aging Insight has all the pep of my '03 Golf TDI when it hit 100K miles with an intake that probably looked something like this:

I don't recall what its 0-60 time was at that point (I drove it mostly in stop-and-go traffic, hence the clogged intake). But I do remember that making a right turn onto a 35-mph street from a dead stop was a life-of-death affair... 0-30 was probably something like 7-8 seconds, even with a manual transmission. :)
100k miles? Try 461k for me ;) That said, I did replace the engine - the current engine has "only" about 150k miles on it. But most of the rest of the car is still original.

I should time my "normal" acceleration when I'm not redlining it** - aka, pedal to the floor, but with normal gearshifting. It's actually hilarious. Like driving a car from the early 1900s ;) I have to downshift to go up rolling hills - sometimes to 4th gear, sometimes to 3rd. To get out of the bottom of the Hvalfjörður tunnel I have to periodically switch between 2nd and 3rd gear, because it loses speed even in 3rd ;)

** The problem with doing this is, I'm not sure where the nearest flat road that's long enough for that is....

Gunn

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@KarenRei - mine seems like a supercar compared to yours (and the 3 will be a spaceship), Toyota Corolla S (2005). OK, it's not a bad car, does get some acceleration and keeps up with traffic but the problem is I'm 6'2 and the car was built for someone under 6' so I feel like this guy ...

(thankfully it has a sunroof so my head can fit though - no joke!)

Bokonon

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I should time my "normal" acceleration when I'm not redlining it** - aka, pedal to the floor, but with normal gearshifting. It's actually hilarious. Like driving a car from the early 1900s ;) I have to downshift to go up rolling hills - sometimes to 4th gear, sometimes to 3rd. To get out of the bottom of the Hvalfjörður tunnel I have to periodically switch between 2nd and 3rd gear, because it loses speed even in 3rd ;)
Impressive... I can only imagine what it's like to be overtaken by a bicycle courier. ;)

** The problem with doing this is, I'm not sure where the nearest flat road that's long enough for that is....
I remember Highway 1 being both long and flat somewhere en route to Sólheimajökull glacier. That's all I've got. :)

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Impressive... I can only imagine what it's like to be overtaken by a bicycle courier. ;)

I remember Highway 1 being both long and flat somewhere en route to Sólheimajökull glacier. That's all I've got. :)
Oh, there are flat places. I just don't want to drive an hour to get to one ;) I was able to do the previous test on the Ring Road (Highway 1) where it runs between Esja and the bay (just north of Reykjavík). But the flat stretch there isn't long enough for a "normal gear shifting" run ;)

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Possibly. I have a 1982 VW diesel, that gets to 60 in.... well, it gets there eventually. But I have a couple other cars I drive, including a Gen I Insight that also has a bad battery.
Lol, I'm not the only one! ;)

Give your Insight and your diesel a try when you get a chance. Speed Logic Lite and other racing apps are free and easy to use - I'm curious if someone has me beat!

Dangermouse

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Possibly. I have a 1982 VW diesel, that gets to 60 in.... well, it gets there eventually. But I have a couple other cars I drive, including a Gen I Insight that also has a bad battery.
Same here, had an 80’s VW diesel that took (I timed it) 24 seconds. Got it down to 22 seconds after a tune up.

Moved up to an ‘82 Scirocco with 74 hp, less than the gas-engine-only portion of my Prius.

Then, 13 years of Prius’s.

So yes, 5.1 has been quite the revelation. :)

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
So, because it's generally not a bright idea to redline a car that's been driven nearly 3/4s of a million kilometers, and because that's also inefficient (and fuel costs here are among the highest on Earth), I normally shift gears at much lower RPMs. Today, I decided to test my actual, real-world acceleration with the pedal down but with my normal, real-world gearshifting:

0-100 kph: 79,34s, 1562m
1/4 mile: 30,84s, 69,2 kph

It was a close call, I nearly ran out of flat ground ;) But yes, in US units, it takes a smidge under a mile for me to reach 62 mph.

Last edited: