Android App: Stuck on 'Waking up'

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Country
Country
Just picked up my Model 3 today. Overall I love it. Set up my phone (LG G4) as a key, and that part of it works just fine (i.e. locks/unlocks by proximity via bluetooth)

However, now that I'm back at work and sitting at my desk I can't communicate with my car. I wanted to check the temperature and maybe get the A/C going. The app says 'Waking up' for a long time, then eventually says 'Vehicle connection error'. Can't control anything, and the location still says my home address. I've tried restarting my phone. I've tried wifi vs data. Still no luck getting the app to connect to the car.

Do I need to call Tesla or am I missing something? Why won't this work?

Audrey

SR3NTY
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had this happen once. No matter what I did with my phone (e.g. crashing the app, resigning in, restarting the phone), I could not get it to connect remotely to the car. I had my husband try the app and his experience was the same. No luck. Eventually I went to the car and unlocked it (with the phone in my pocket) without any issue. Since then it has worked for us both. I have used the car minimally however, because we've been waiting for our paint protection film to go on.

Sometimes the Tesla network goes down and this kind of issue happens broadly. Sometimes it's just the car (I am guessing).

Country
Country
Talked with Tesla support today.

They say it's likely because of an energy savings mode setting. So they then tried to show me how to turn off energy savings mode.... and discovered that the option is missing.

Yep, to the surprise of the tech on the phone, for some reason energy saving mode has been removed from the available settings.

This is not an isolated incident:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/2018-16-update-missing-energy-saving-mode.114280/

Not sure what to do now....

android04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had the same issue since I picked up my Model 3. It takes what seems forever while it tries to "wake up" the car, then usually ends in "connection error" sometimes it does connect after a while, and I can control the car, but most of the time it doesn't.

I also noticed that most of the time when I first get in or turn on the car (such as leaving home or work) I have no 3G or LTE connection on the center screen. It takes a minute or a little bit of driving before it connects. The issue has nothing to do with a weak 3G or LTE connection, since once it's connected it shows a good signal and I can stream music (such as arriving at work or at home).

I'm wondering if I'm having an issue with sleep mode where it takes a while to wake up the network radio and that causes the delay in "waking" the car and eventually the "connection error", as well as the delay in getting a network connection on the center screen right away after the car has been off for a while.

Country
Country
Update:

For the past week my phone has miraculously been able to wake up the car, set climate, set charge, etc. So that's good....

But now I'm having the opposite problem. Even though my phone key unlocks the doors when I pull the handle, once I'm in the car and try to drive away it says I don't have a key. I have to either manually refresh/reconnect bluetooth or use the card key.

Very frustrating.

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update:

For the past week my phone has miraculously been able to wake up the car, set climate, set charge, etc. So that's good....

But now I'm having the opposite problem. Even though my phone key unlocks the doors when I pull the handle, once I'm in the car and try to drive away it says I don't have a key. I have to either manually refresh/reconnect bluetooth or use the card key.

Very frustrating.
I've had this happen a few times. Sometimes, simply taking the phone out of my pocket (and pressing the brake) makes it realize that I have my phone key.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Went out to the car to give a few test drives. Same story:
  • unlocking, trunk, and other controls work fine when phone is within bluetooth range
  • fails to connect to car when outside of bluetooth range
Having the same issue here. When the car is in sleep mode for roughly more than 3 hrs I can't wake it up with the app(iOS). When I get in the car the screen says "no cellular connection" but after about 30 seconds it connect to the cellular itself. Called Tesla they said someone needs to run a diagnose to see the log.

Country
Country
Having the same issue here. When the car is in sleep mode for roughly more than 3 hrs I can't wake it up with the app(iOS). When I get in the car the screen says "no cellular connection" but after about 30 seconds it connect to the cellular itself. Called Tesla they said someone needs to run a diagnose to see the log.
Yea I wish we had better control of sleep settings. If I only drive 30-40 miles per day then the charge lost from having the car remain awake is no big deal.

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
1 week into owenership and this is the only problem I have occasionally. Once you get used to being able to cool the cabin and then you can't it really sucks. This has happened twice to me now. Doesn't seem to matter if i'm connected to my home wifi or LTE has happened with both.

RIP_OPEC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yea I wish we had better control of sleep settings. If I only drive 30-40 miles per day then the charge lost from having the car remain awake is no big deal.
1 week into owenership and this is the only problem I have occasionally. Once you get used to being able to cool the cabin and then you can't it really sucks. This has happened twice to me now. Doesn't seem to matter if i'm connected to my home wifi or LTE has happened with both.
And one more. Just found this thread. Left on vacation and my car won't connect anymore (car is at home)
Have you guys tried the unlock/lock method to wake up your M3? I figured out that from the app, if you unlock your car and then lock it again 3 seconds later, this will forcefully wake up your car 90% of the time.

Also, when your car automatically locks after you walk away, if you quickly turn on climate control, it will stay awake too, including when Cabin Overheat Protection is working.

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have you guys tried the unlock/lock method to wake up your M3? I figured out that from the app, if you unlock your car and then lock it again 3 seconds later, this will forcefully wake up your car 90% of the time.
so you are saying even if the app says "waking up" and it isn't connected to the car you can still hit the lock button in the app and then relock it and it will wake up? i thought if it wasn't connected you could do nothing remotely

RIP_OPEC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
so you are saying even if the app says "waking up" and it isn't connected to the car you can still hit the lock button in the app and then relock it and it will wake up? i thought if it wasn't connected you could do nothing remotely
Yes, for some reason that method reliably wakes up my Model 3. Before, I could keep trying to wake it up for hours and nothing would happen, but by tapping the unlock/lock icon, it will magically emerge from it's slumber within 15 seconds.

RIP_OPEC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did my trick work for you? I have one of the early VINs 15xxx btw.

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did my trick work for you? I have one of the early VINs 15xxx btw.

i've still only had this happen twice. seems to have improved since i took the car off wifi. i'm certainly going to try your method in the morning as even though it does wake up eventually it may take 2 minutes or more to do so. we'll see what happens.

RIP_OPEC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i've still only had this happen twice. seems to have improved since i took the car off wifi. i'm certainly going to try your method in the morning as even though it does wake up eventually it may take 2 minutes or more to do so. we'll see what happens.
During the morning and late evening/night, it's much cooler so the M3 doesn't need to run the A/C to protect it's electronics or to maintain the Cabin Overheat Prevention target, thus entering hibernation, and that's when I used to have the most trouble waking it up too. I learned connecting to the WIFI or disabling WIFI makes zero difference, and whenever I got into the car, the LTE was turned off and took some time to reconnect, but I could still always remotely wake it up by unlocking/locking, which was bizarre.

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Also, when your car automatically locks after you walk away, if you quickly turn on climate control, it will stay awake too, including when Cabin Overheat Protection is working.
During the morning and late evening/night, it's much cooler so the M3 doesn't need to run the A/C to protect it's electronics or to maintain the Cabin Overheat Prevention target, thus entering hibernation, and that's when I used to have the most trouble waking it up too. I learned connecting to the WIFI or disabling WIFI makes zero difference, and whenever I got into the car, the LTE was turned off and took some time to reconnect, but I could still always remotely wake it up by unlocking/locking, which was bizarre.
Very good to know because just the other day I ordered a google wifi mesh point so that my car will have stronger wifi signal. Going to test if the lock/unlock method helps at all wake it faster tomorrow.

RIP_OPEC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very good to know because just the other day I ordered a google wifi mesh point so that my car will have stronger wifi signal. Going to test if the lock/unlock method helps at all wake it faster tomorrow.
Normally you can tap the unlock/lock icon in less than a second and it will wake it up. If that doesn't work, you might have to try again and wait 3-5 seconds after unlocking, before locking it.

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Normally you can tap the unlock/lock icon in less than a second and it will wake it up. If that doesn't work, you might have to try again and wait 3-5 seconds after unlocking, before locking it.
Yep can confirm this works. Connects immediately as soon as i unlock and lock. Awesome tip and i would have never tried that since the licks are greyed out. Thanks