Android Mobile App Updates List - Newest 3.7. 0 - Nearby Charging Options (12/5/2018)

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Greetings, all!

This is the Android-specific version of the iOS Mobile App Updates thread, intended to track and log changes to the Tesla app for Android. As with the iOS thread, please comment below with changes, bugs/issues and other thoughts that you encounter in the Tesla Android app, and I will integrate them into this initial post. Bullet points in boldface text represent Tesla's official release notes for a particular version.

Version 3.7.0 (12/5/2018)
  • You can now view nearby charging options in the Charging screen. Tap a location to start vehicle navigation. Note: Requires car software version 2018.48 or above.
Version 3.6.2 (11/14/2018)
  • Minor fixes and improvements
Version 3.6.1 (10/22/2018)
  • More reliable calendar sync
Version 3.6.0 (9/25/2018)
  • Start Navigation in your car using the share feature in your favorite phone apps
  • Allow passengers to quickly control media
  • Start and cancel software updates on your car
    • Note: the above features require car software version 2018.39 or later

Version 3.5.0 (9/10/2018)
  • The Inbox organizes all of your messages in one place, which you can access from the Settings menu
Version 3.4.4 (8/27/2018)
  • Adds persistent notification icon for quick access to app, lock/unlock, trunk, frunk
Version 3.4.3 (8/2/2018)
  • Powerwall customers participating in Grid Services programs now know when their systems are benefiting the grid and can track Grid Services energy and power usage.
  • Model 3 owners can access support videos about their vehicle features
  • Storm Watch: for Powerwall customers with backup and in selected regions, Tesla will automatically detect incoming storms and store energy.
  • You can log into the app even if you do not have a Tesla product associated with your account yet, but have a Model 3 reservation. You will be able to view Model 3 support videos and access your loot box.
Version 3.4.2 (7/9/2018)
Version 3.4.1 (6/20/2018)
  • Limit vehicle speed and acceleration with Speed Limit Mode. Maximum vehicle speed can be set between 50-90 mph (80-145 km/h).
  • NOTE: Requires vehicle software version 2018.24 or above.
  • Summon available for Model 3 with 2018.24+ and EAP activated (pending confirmation)
Version 3.4.0 (5/18/2018)
  • Powerwall Time-Based Control is now available in select regions; use when energy costs vary through the day.
Version 3.3.6 (4/25/2018)
Version 3.3.5 (4/6/2018)
  • Adds phone key "info" button with troubleshooting tips
  • Fixes fingerprint authentication for keyless driving

Version 3.3.4 (3/24/2018)
Version 3.3.3 (3/14/2018)
Baseline
  • Use phone as key
  • Check charging status, start/stop charging, set charge limit
  • Remote climate control
  • Remote lock / unlock
  • Flash lights / honk horn
  • Open/close charge port door
  • Release trunk / frunk
  • Monitor vehicle status, location and speed

Last edited:

mig

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Funny you should suggest this, I was just about to start a thread to discuss issues/experiences specific to Android app users (mostly concerning the performance of phone-as-key, since it is allegedly less reliable than with iOS). But I like this idea better... it's much more comprehensive and structured. :)
FYI, Android phone-as-key has *drastically* improved not related to 3.3.3 version of the app (possibly with the 4.9 firmware?) The phone-key went from almost-never-works to hasn't-failed-yet sometime in the past couple weeks. Unfortunately I got into the habit of turning bluetooth off/on before walking up to the car so that I never noticed *when* exactly it was fixed (just noticed last week I didn't have to do that anymore)

mig

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI, Android phone-as-key has *drastically* improved not related to 3.3.3 version of the app (possibly with the 4.9 firmware?) The phone-key went from almost-never-works to hasn't-failed-yet sometime in the past couple weeks. Unfortunately I got into the habit of turning bluetooth off/on before walking up to the car so that I never noticed *when* exactly it was fixed (just noticed last week I didn't have to do that anymore)
I may have spoke too soon. Twice in the last 2 days I've had to cycle Bluetooth to get the phone-key to connect. Arrgh. Maybe an issue with 3.3.3 on Android? (I have no idea)

Moderators: Oops should my posts be in @Bokonon's thread instead?

KGTES

Country
Country
I may have spoke too soon. Twice in the last 2 days I've had to cycle Bluetooth to get the phone-key to connect. Arrgh. Maybe an issue with 3.3.3 on Android? (I have no idea)

Moderators: Oops should my posts be in @Bokonon's thread instead?
@mig, what phone are you using?

Also, it may 'seem' like the iOS app has more functionality than the Android counterpart, but that may just be the updates are listed on the app listing in their respective app stores.
Can you confirm that the Android app can do all of the things listed above in the list for the iOS app?

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think 3.3.3 actually reduced the quality of the phone as key... I hadn't had to do the airplane mode cycle to get it to connect once since I got 2018.4.9 on the car and the app update before 3.3.3 the same night, but since updating to 3.3.3 a few days ago I'm averaging once a day needing to cycle airplane mode. Curiously, once the app even showed the phone as key connected, but the car didn't. On the bright side, with the version before 3.3.3 I'd occasionally have issues connecting remotely via cellular to turn the heat on, and haven't had any trouble with that since the update.

Bokonon

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Version 3.3.4 is now available with "minor fixes and improvements".

@LucyferSam I'm curious as to whether the update helps with your phone-as-key experience.

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Version 3.3.4 is now available with "minor fixes and improvements".

@LucyferSam I'm curious as to whether the update helps with your phone-as-key experience.
Testing it this week, it has definitely been better than last week. I had to cycle the blue tooth once the first day on 3.3.4, but that was right after connecting to my fitbit which definitely creates problems in the bluetooth stack. Haven't had to cycle again though some times it take a while to connect. I do find it odd that the phone still connects to the rest of the system much faster than the phone as key part, and in the one instance I had to cycle it the phone showed up on the screen as connected but would not connect as a key.

relidtm

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone tried the app at a supercharger yet? Example if you need 80% to leave will itmsemd you a push notification?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone tried the app at a supercharger yet? Example if you need 80% to leave will itmsemd you a push notification?
I’m assuming yes though I haven’t tried. The app sends you a push notification when charging is complete (if you enable it) so you should be covered.

Of course I hope I didn’t make a mistake assuming this because the iOS version does it :)

relidtm

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just don't want to get an idle charge :) if it gets to 83-85-90 who cares right? with kids its easy to lose track of time.

Last edited:

relidtm

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
thanks that is what I assumed just wanted to make sure call me over-eager to use a supercharger

Country
Country
3.3.5 is out.

They added a new info button next to the phone key status... It just lets you know that if you're having problems, you should try turning Bluetooth off and back on.

Fingerprint authentication actually works now if you try to use keyless driving.

No idea what else changed.

Bokonon

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
3.3.5 is out.
They added a new info button next to the phone key status... It just lets you know that if you're having problems, you should try turning Bluetooth off and back on.
Fingerprint authentication actually works now if you try to use keyless driving.
No idea what else changed.
Thanks! Added these changes to the first post.

Random thought/speculation: based on their job openings, I can see that Tesla uses Xamarin (a cross-platform development environment for mobile apps) for at least one of their mobile apps. Makes me wonder whether they use it for the flagship Tesla app, in which case we should see features and fixes that aren't platform-dependent released on iOS and Android in lockstep...

Oil Freedom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone else notice that their Tesla app is suddenly working to unlock and start the car without the card key?

As far as I can tell, neither the app nor my car got a software update recently.

Oil Freedom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmmm... Sometimes the car seems to be in a deep sleep, and it takes a little while (around 10 seconds) before the phone or even the card can unlock it.

Oil Freedom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another observation: When I get in the car and try to put it into Drive, the mobile app isn't always recognized right away. So, I'm prompted to swipe the card key. Before I can do that, the phone app is recognized, and the card key isn't needed afterall. However, the card key prompt remains on the touch screen, so that window must be manually closed.

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another observation: When I get in the car and try to put it into Drive, the mobile app isn't always recognized right away. So, I'm prompted to swipe the card key. Before I can do that, the phone app is recognized, and the card key isn't needed afterall. However, the card key prompt remains on the touch screen, so that window must be manually closed.
I've had this problem several times in my one day of ownership. In general, the app is nice when it works, but I've had several times where it couldn't connect to the car. My phone key gets disconnected a lot... but sometimes it's disconnected but I can still unlock the car with the app. They've got a ways to go on the app/phone key piece of this puzzle. Other than the phone app quirkiness, the car is amazing.