1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Another Model 3 Event This Year!

Discussion in 'Model 3 Reveal' started by Jaspal, Jun 2, 2016.

More threads by Jaspal
  1. Jaspal

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Turlock, California
    Country
  2. Jaspal

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Turlock, California
    Country
    "Tonight during an interview at the Code Conference, Elon Musk shared his thoughts on everything from The Martian to AI (he's only worried about one unnamed tech company when it comes to AI, maybe we should Google the answer) to the current presidential race. Most notably however, he mentioned Tesla is planning another Model 3 event this year, saying it's already notched over 400,000 preorders and the design should be done in about six more weeks. Pressed for an answer by Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher on the availability of Autopilot on the $35,000 base model, Musk would only say "we'll do the obvious thing." You can watch the interview below for more details on things like why SpaceX lands its rockets at sea and its launch schedule for the next few years."

3. John

Tech CEO
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Country
    Elon stated the next reveal would be "later this year" during an interview with Mossberg and Swisher at the Code Conference yesterday.
    He also hinted that autopilot (not just hardware) would be included in base price.

4. John

Tech CEO
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Country
    Oops, just noticed someone published earlier!

5. 101uk

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Uk
    Yeah can't wait to see what they are going to show us. I think the article is slightly confusing though as the question was about autonomy not the autopilot feature specifically. We already know autopilot will be available its just to what level of autonomy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

Pilot
    City & State/Province:
    Texas
    I think "the obvious thing" is just to make the autopilot available as it is now. Safety features included and full use for a cost, as now on the S and X. Obviously ;)
    But with the design final in 6 weeks per Elon, I bet we see the production version this fall. Ineterior with "spaceship" controls and all!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. John

Tech CEO
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Country
    #7 John, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Yeah, we only knew "hardware included" before this. I think this means, "autopilot enabled." So no up-charge, we'll get safety AND autopilot.

8. 101uk

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Uk
    Relevant part of the interview here

• Like Like x 1
  9. LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

Pilot
    City & State/Province:
    Texas
    I just watched that clip again. I don't know man. If it costs $ to have it enabled on the S and X, then the obvious thing is charge for it here. Of course if they did, it would be free for all. Kinda torque off those that have already paid for it. I still think the obvious thing is to charge the same $2500 to fund the continued development and recoup the costs. BUT, we hopefully will find out in the "fall"

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Topher

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Apparently not.

Thank you kindly.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Adey

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Sunderland, England
    Personally I don't think it should be the same price. With the amount of vehicles and how the technology has been developed already it should (hopefully) be a cheaper option than the s or x

12. John

Tech CEO
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Country
    He said it would be "big news." How would "doing what we did before" be big news?
    I suppose you could argue they'll release a higher degree of autonomy, but that's not how I read it. I dunno.

13. Topher

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    The thing is that Tesla needs the information provided by all those cars to improve their auto-pilot program. I don't think they can achieve full time full autonomy before ≡'s start into production. For one thing there is only a single winter between now and then. But however close they get, there will still be a lot of improvement to be done. So, a $2,500 option on a $35,000 car will be avoided by those who are already stretching to get in this car. I suspect that this is a significant number.

People, I think, are pretty much inured to the idea that early adopters pay more. Certainly most people who bought Teslas could have been aware of the secret master plan, it wasn't a very well kept secret after all.

Thank you kindly.

14. HanSolo

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Cincinnati, OH
    You are correct about the demand elasticity being completely different at this price level. However I still do not believe it will be fully autopilot enabled. Maybe they need the data as your assess, but I still do not know how they will be profitable with this car at $35000 unless software activated options have a cost. Personally, I do not want free Autopilot. People on the roads scare me enough as it is without now having to worry about another large number of imbeciles hitting the road misusing Autopilot. For me, this car will be a stretch but one that can work so long as interest rates do not take an unexpected jump.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

Pilot
    City & State/Province:
    Texas
    You are right that $2500 is a big chunk for a feature on a car of this price and maybe it will be cheaper with volume, but with people being people, maybe we don't want them to have it right off :eek:. I see it all the time, as I am sure you do as well, guy was driving yesterday holding his iPhone to talk into it and was very distracted. It was a newer car and probably had Bluetooth, so why don't these people use it properly? The same people will be trying to check their email and stuff with this new feature and not be paying attention.

16. Topher

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    I am not sure that being willing to pay for it, is a good proxy for being willing to use it wisely. But perhaps buyers will get a orientation course when they purchase it.

Thank you kindly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    You're all assuming the options costs on Model 3 will be the same as Model S.

This is a "mass market" car (relatively) with lower profit margins. If Tesla is going to make a decent profit they need to make sure the uptake rate on options is good and therefore commensurate with the vehicle cost. It doesn't make sense to charge $3500 for leather seats , $4000 for a technology package and $5000 for dual motor options on a car with a base price of $35K. Hardly anyone will buy options of that's the case. Sure BMW has a bewildering array of options on the 3 series that can bump the prices up quite a bit but they're not wildly expensive. Tesla needed to make good profits on Model S options to pay back tooling, the supercharger network and earmark some funds for Model 3 R&D.

Economies of scale on hardware mean lower costs passed on to us. I think half the price of what they charge for the same options on Model S is fair. Same thing goes with Autopilot.

As they say, they will make it up in volume.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

Pilot
    City & State/Province:
    Texas
    1/2 would be nice. Would make my Red, leather Model 3 with Dual Motors and upgraded battery (SC bundled in ;)) come to $45-ish. Plus tax, delivery and rebate (fingers crossed), Maybe$42k. One can hope..

19. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Country
    @LUXMAN,

Agreed.....like this guy who is ready to intervene at a moments notice.....

Literally.... I am almost "taken out" daily (sometimes multiple times in a day) by distracted drivers.....iPhone talking, texting face down while hurling down the interstate at 70+ etc. It will become quite a concern when full autonomy is rolled out. And is part of the reason Elon said at the Code Conference a few days ago that full autonomy WILL be here in "less than 2 years" :) (HMMMMMmmmm.....). THOUGH DOT or regulatory approval for it will be later....(he said 2-4 years).

Ski

20. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Country
    #20 Skione65, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    They already have the data and are receiving it daily.....even hourly....

http://qz.com/694520/tesla-has-780-...data-and-adds-another-million-every-10-hours/

They're even offering it all to the DOT in hopes of advancing "Regulatory Approval" sooner which is a good tactic.....

http://electrek.co/2016/06/03/tesla-share-autopilot-data-department-of-transport/

Also this:
    It will not be legal within 2 years, for autonomous cars. Elon has previously said that it will take time for them to gather the data to support the notion that autonomous driving is safe, to then present it to the DOT, NHTSA, insurance industry, lawmakers.

And agree with this:

The Model 3 will have fully autonomous hardware, at least as an option, at launch.
    It will also have fully autonomous software, but this will be running in shadow mode, not active but collecting data.
    Just as Elon said, the regulations will then quickly be changed to allow the software to control the car, because the data will show that it would be saving lives if activated. It is hard for regulators to disallow a technology which is proven to save lives.

Elon even said the current Autopilot can drive the car better and keep it centered in the lane better than and "More Precisely than a Human".

Ski

• Agree Agree x 1