1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Any more detail on some standard "base" features?

Discussion in 'Design' started by tigerninety, Aug 5, 2017.

More threads by tigerninety
  1. tigerninety

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Silver Spring, MD
    Country
    Hello all,

I really appreciate all the discussion and enthusiasm about the Model 3. I reserved the morning of day one (Washington, DC area) and right now have the Nov-Jan/Feb-Apr/Aug-Oct delivery option trio. Heavily leaning toward the Standard Battery: daily drive will almost never be more than 40 miles; we have a big Toyota Highlander as our family "distance" car; and, I want to maximize our tax credits.

With that said, I think the big question mark will be whether we go for the premium configuration. I think we could take or leave the glass roof (my wife has sensitive eyes and I'm not sure she'd favor more light coming into the car). We could probably also take or leave the power seats and might be able to go for the textile seats.

I'm left with a few questions about what DOES come in the base configuration; I'm sorry if this information is readily available out there.

Thanks for your replies/references!

Todd

1) in the base model, are any of the seats heated at all? (the tesla site says you get "Premium heated seating" with the premium package, but that leaves it unclear if there's a non-premium heated seating in the base model).

2) in the "premium" model, does the "Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout" mean the rear seats are heated? In all cases, does anyone know how the seat heating is controlled (e.g., changing the levels, how many levels, where the controls are)?

3) in any model, do you get a heated steering wheel? (I know this sounds cushy, but it's one of my favorite things in our Toyota on a really cold day.)

4) in the base model, what kinds of adjustments are available for the (presumably non-power) seats?

5) in the base model, how do you control the setting of the exterior (side) mirrors? Are they heated in the base model?

6) is the rear view (center) mirror auto-dimming in any model?

7) in the base model, if passengers in the rear want to charge phones/devices, how can they do that? (if at all)

8) in the base model, are there fog lamps of any kind?

9) in the base model, is there cruise control of any kind?

10) in either model, how do the windshield wipers work? (e.g., how many settings? automatic? intermittent and if so how many settings)

11) in either model, what kind of spare tire is there (full size or "donut")?

12) in the premium model, are the seats shaped any differently from the base model (e.g., are they more "sport" and bolstering)?

13) in either model, are there cup holders in the back?

14) in either model, are the power window controls "one-touch" up and down? Are they "smart"/non-pinch?

15) in either model, do the turn signals "flash" (e.g., if you soft touch up or down, do they flash for a number of flashes and then stop, and can you set the number of flashes)?

16) in either model, are the headlights fully automatic and, if not, how do you control them?

17) in either model, do rear-seat passengers have any control over heating/cooling?

18) between the two models, are do either of them bluetooth sync equally well to an iPhone for music and/or Siri (commands and navigation)?

• Like Like x 2
    • BB3

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Sugar Land, Texas
      Country
      1: on base model, there are heated front seats.
      2:premium includes heated seats for every passenger, controlled on touchscreen.
      3: unknown
      4: manual seats are 6-way adjustable (recline, forward, backward, lumbar)
      5:base model is manual mirrors, not heated
      6: yes, premium package has them
      7: passenger have no USB ports on the base model, there are 2 usbs in the front.
      8: no
      9:yes
      10: probably touchscreen as seen in videos, however, model 3 probably has the capability to detect rain
      11: no spare tires on any model. You could probably fit a donut tire in the deep well in the trunk
      12: uncertain, however, base model is cloth and premium is fake leather that is easier to clean
      13: premium has them
      14: one touch, “dumb windows”
      15: uncertain
      16: probably premium, touchscreen
      17: no, no cooling either, just heating
      18: no apple CarPlay, navigation is integrated into the ui.

Hope that helps!

• Informative Informative x 3
      • SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        South Florida
        Tesla Owner:
        No
        Country
        You have definitely asked a lot of questions that fall into the uncertainty / gray area for speculation.

On #18 there will most assuredly be Bluetooth audio capability.

I assume (there's that word) that that means you can leverage Siri hands free in the car.

The premium package has dual phone charging mounts built in, so it positions well even if Hey Siri doesn't work through the Bluetooth setup.

• tigerninety

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Silver Spring, MD
        Country
        BB3,

Wow! Thanks for all those answers! Maybe a follow up or two, since I think I may not have been specific enough on a couple...

For #7, is there a cigarette lighter in the back into which a USB power adaptor could be plugged? If not, what kinds of solutions might base Model 3 owners use to get USB power to the back row?

For #9, that would be the first I've heard that the base model would have cruise control of any kind. That's great! I presume it's "dumb" cruise control, not adaptive?

For #10, does that mean you can't turn windshield washers on/off at all from the wheel stalks? Seems dangerous, if there's a sudden splash of water on the windshield. How does it work in the Model S/X?

For #16, again seems dangerous not to be able to turn headlights on anywhere but the screen. How does it work in Model S/X?

For #17, I should have been clearer, I was referring to air venting, not seats. Any thoughts on that?

For #18, even without CarPlay, can I play music from my Bluetooth connected iPhone? If I prefer the iPhone for navigation directions, can I hear those over the audio?

Thanks again!

Todd

• SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        South Florida
        Tesla Owner:
        No
        Country
        Here are my full thoughts....

1) in the base model, are any of the seats heated at all? (the tesla site says you get "Premium heated seating" with the premium package, but that leaves it unclear if there's a non-premium heated seating in the base model). -- Semi-confirmed (is that a word?) that the front seats are heated fabric seats.

2) in the "premium" model, does the "Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout" mean the rear seats are heated? In all cases, does anyone know how the seat heating is controlled (e.g., changing the levels, how many levels, where the controls are)? -- Back seats are heated as well. One would surmise all seat heating is controlled through the screen, but it's unconfirmed. There could be a button on the rear doors...

3) in any model, do you get a heated steering wheel? (I know this sounds cushy, but it's one of my favorite things in our Toyota on a really cold day.) -- I assume so, but it's not confirmed.

4) in the base model, what kinds of adjustments are available for the (presumably non-power) seats? -- the Press Kit indicates 6 way manual adjustable.

5) in the base model, how do you control the setting of the exterior (side) mirrors? Are they heated in the base model? -- you bring it up in the UI and then make your adjustments with the scroll wheels on the UI. I believe you need premium for the side mirrors to be heated.

6) is the rear view (center) mirror auto-dimming in any model? -- yes, this is listed as a standard convenience feature.

7) in the base model, if passengers in the rear want to charge phones/devices, how can they do that? (if at all) -- get a long USB cable ;)

8) in the base model, are there fog lamps of any kind? -- the Press Kit says Premium gets LED fog lamps, but it doesn't specify if there is anything for standard.

9) in the base model, is there cruise control of any kind? -- some speculation that non Autopilot cars get at least basic cruise control.

10) in either model, how do the windshield wipers work? (e.g., how many settings? automatic? intermittent and if so how many settings) -- auto yes. Managed through the screen with adjustments from the scroll wheels on the steering wheel.

11) in either model, what kind of spare tire is there (full size or "donut")? -- Motor Trend showed an empty trunk in their photo shoot, so we may not get one...

12) in the premium model, are the seats shaped any differently from the base model (e.g., are they more "sport" and bolstering)? -- it's unclear.

13) in either model, are there cup holders in the back? -- we saw 2 in the rear armrest on the test drives (all premium models though)

14) in either model, are the power window controls "one-touch" up and down? Are they "smart"/non-pinch? -- one touch is standard. Not sure on pinch protection.

15) in either model, do the turn signals "flash" (e.g., if you soft touch up or down, do they flash for a number of flashes and then stop, and can you set the number of flashes)? -- not sure.

16) in either model, are the headlights fully automatic and, if not, how do you control them? -- yes and all controls are on the center screen.

17) in either model, do rear-seat passengers have any control over heating/cooling? -- just the direction and flow of the rear vents.

18) between the two models, are do either of them bluetooth sync equally well to an iPhone for music and/or Siri (commands and navigation)? -- Bluetooth audio is standard as is Bluetooth voice for calls, so "Hey Siri" should work through Bluetooth.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          South Florida
          Tesla Owner:
          No
          Country
          Check out Tesla.com/presskit

Most of your answers are there. Also check my reply above.

Model 3 is simpler than Model S/X.

Things like lights and wipers have been moved away from stalks and over to the central screen.

Self-driving is clearly a theme even if it's years out.

• Iaeen

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Madison WI
          Country
          Keep in mind that cruise control options are completely independent from the premium package. Many people are saying that regular/dumb cruise control is standard, but that hasn’t been confirmed. You can add EAP for $5k. It can also be added after purchase; presumably for an extra $1k upcharge.

There is a 12 volt accessory port (FKA cigarette lighter) on the base model (at least), but it’s probably in the front console.

There’s a windshield washer/splash button on the left stalk. It is the mirror of the park button on the right stalk. There is an on/off button along with a high/low toggle on the screen.

You can flash and control the high beams by pushing and pulling the left stalk. All other headlight control is done through the screen, and most people will probably just set it to automatic and never look at it again. There is also an automatic high beam feature in EAP (on Model S at least), but I don’t know if that is fully functional yet.

On Model S, the premium seats are shaped differently, or at least they were the last time I really looked at the Model S. There’s a good chance that will also be true in the 3. Nobody really knows since there has been no evidence that Tesla has even built a non-premium 3. Everything we know about standard vs. premium comes from the press release mentioned above, so if you read that you will technically know as much as any of us...

• Like Like x 1
          • Gizmo

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Kent
            Country

The Press Kit also says under Standard
            Equipment:

Safety
            • Full LED exterior lighting

So from that we can determine that as the Premium gets LED fog lights the Standard will not have any front fog lights.

• Agree Agree x 4
            • Spinball

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              WI
              Country
              You are more optimistic than I am. ;) I would love to be pleasantly surprised on this!

• SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
              Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              South Florida
              Tesla Owner:
              No
              Country
              Be careful with my optimism. It's a feature I'll never use in Florida. Funny that my Hyundai Sonata has it though.

• Funny Funny x 1
              • Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
                Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
                Country
                Be careful - this is likely to vary according to local regulations! In many European countries, front fog lights are as mandatory as rear mirrors ... ;)

• Like Like x 4
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • /billy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                  vacaville ca
                  Country
                  So the base model has manual adjusting side mirrors. Is there going to be a small spastic bar that is sticking out on the door panel to manually move the side mirror?

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • garsh

Dis Member
                    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                    Pittsburgh PA
                    Country
                    I may have misunderstood, but I think BB3 meant manually *folding* mirrors. I don't think Tesla would bother engineering a different set of physically-adjusted mirrors - adjustments should still be electric.

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • /billy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                      vacaville ca
                      Country
                      Ohhhh, that makes sense so automatic adjustable side mirror, and manually folding for the base model.

• Brett

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                      Brentwood, CA
                      Country
                      I think this is wrong. In the press kit it says that the base model will have "Power-adjustable side mirrors" and the premium upgrade has "Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors". So the side mirrors will be adjustable trough the LCD but not auto folding or heated or auto dimming.

The rear view mirror is auto dimming on the base model though.

• Informative Informative x 2
                      • Model34mePlease

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                        Monterey, CA
                        Country
                        Is it also possible the the mirror position is part of the driver profile that also adjusts the seats?

• John

Tech CEO
                        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                        California
                        Country
                        I'll bet the mirror position and steering wheel position have profile memory.

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • arnis

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                          near Tallinn
                          Country
                          Design of front fog lights makes it very hard to use halogen bulb, therefore base version likely doesn't offer fogs in US.
                          Rear armrest was a premium thing. Therefore no cup holders in the back if it's missing.
                          Likely Model 3 will have all around auto windows with no pinch bar but with pinch detection.
                          Automatic windows must have pinch detection.
                          Rear passengers can have airflow to their feet and face. M3 has 2 zones for climate control.
                          Rear passengers can not choose air temperature nor can they adjust airflow amount.
                          But it is likely that M3 has "disable rear passenger airvents" button (unknown if front passenger is included or not)
                          Basic seats will not have lumbar support adjustable. Though height will be.

With stalks you can:
                          a) select driving direction
                          b) apply parking brake or apply emergency brake (non aggressive parking brake while driving)
                          c) activate autopilot (or cruise control if no AP available)
                          d) activate turn indicators (likely with triple-blink comfort function on all models)
                          e) flash full beams to indicate warning to oncoming traffic
                          f) turn on full beams (they activate/deactivate on their own according to traffic)
                          g) single-wipe windshield
                          h) wash windshield

With steering wheel scrollers driver can do almost everything:
                          adjust cruise control set speed, following distance, mirrors, steering column,
                          volume, station etc. And the list will change with software updates.
                          I suspect Tesla will add menu interaction as well, as those scrollers are 5-directional.

• Like Like x 1
                          • DC Rules

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                            Minneapolis, MN
                            Country
                            Can I ask a dumb question? Why do you need heated seats and steering wheels? Can't you just pre-heat the whole car? You can do that through the app right?

• Agree Agree x 3
                            • SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
                              Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                              South Florida
                              Tesla Owner:
                              No
                              Country
                              You can.

I'm not in a cold climate so I can't speak to it from that purpose.

I like heated seats in hot Florida though, because I have a bad back.

• Like Like x 1