Any way to turn off TACC and use regular old cruise control?

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like to set my cruise control when driving around my somewhat rural town to 35 mph, just slightly over the speed limit (but apparently still not fast enough to stop every other car from tailgating me). However TACC, especially at night, does savage phantom braking at least once per short trip, to the point where I've stopped using it.

Is there any way to optionally turn on regular old cruise control? My wife has a 2017 Volvo, she can toggle between old cruise or TACC as desired. Would love that option.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, when you have Enhanced Autopilot the car skips standard CC and only provides TACC.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, when you have Enhanced Autopilot the car skips standard CC and only provides TACC.
That's a bummer! Cops in my town like to hand out speeding tickets pretty aggressively. Over the last 15 years I've lived here I've conditioned myself to use cruise control to minimize the risk of speeding. But with TACC and its phantom breaking, its bad enough where my wife gets upset, so I've stopped using it around town completely.

Now I have to work harder to watch my speed without being able to rely on cruise control.

Tesla devs if you are reading this, please add regular cruise as an option for those with TACC. Maybe a toggle in the autopilot settings.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
That's a bummer! Cops in my town like to hand out speeding tickets pretty aggressively. Over the last 15 years I've lived here I've conditioned myself to use cruise control to minimize the risk of speeding. But with TACC and its phantom breaking, its bad enough where my wife gets upset, so I've stopped using it around town completely.

Now I have to work harder to watch my speed without being able to rely on cruise control.

Tesla devs if you are reading this, please add regular cruise as an option for those with TACC. Maybe a toggle in the autopilot settings.
One thing I found when renting cars in Europe is they have a speed governed mode to the cruise control. If you set it to a particular speed the car will not allow you to exceed the speed set. It allows you to stop and go all you want but when you hit that speed the car stops. I absolutely love this feature when I am driving in the UK because it is a police state with all the cameras everywhere. I use the feature constantly to make sure I don't get nailed by a camera while I am driving there since I am driving an unfamiliar car. I have had Mercedes and Volvos which have all had this feature. I think Tesla should implement this as well since it is pretty common in lux brands. I think if they implemented this it would solve your issue without having to use TACC or cruise control.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One thing I found when renting cars in Europe is they have a speed governed mode to the cruise control. If you set it to a particular speed the car will not allow you to exceed the speed set. It allows you to stop and go all you want but when you hit that speed the car stops. I absolutely love this feature when I am driving in the UK because it is a police state with all the cameras everywhere. I use the feature constantly to make sure I don't get nailed by a camera while I am driving there since I am driving an unfamiliar car. I have had Mercedes and Volvos which have all had this feature. I think Tesla should implement this as well since it is pretty common in lux brands. I think if they implemented this it would solve your issue without having to use TACC or cruise control.
That would help too. Just needs it to be something I can toggle on and off, depending on where I'm driving.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
That would help too. Just needs it to be something I can toggle on and off, depending on where I'm driving.
While I don't know how Tesla would implement it I know that on the cars I mentioned you put the car in that mode and whenever you activate cruise control it turns it on. To turn it off you just turn off cruise control. You can change the speed up/down the same way you do normal cruise control. I think it would be awesome in the car if you tapped the speed limit sign and it would turn it on. Then you could adjust it up/down with your thumb wheel on the car. To turn it off tap the speed limit sign again.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I don't know how Tesla would implement it I know that on the cars I mentioned you put the car in that mode and whenever you activate cruise control it turns it on. To turn it off you just turn off cruise control. You can change the speed up/down the same way you do normal cruise control. I think it would be awesome in the car if you tapped the speed limit sign and it would turn it on. Then you could adjust it up/down with your thumb wheel on the car. To turn it off tap the speed limit sign again.
If they can give me this working with regular cruise, or just get rid of the hard phantom breaking with TACC, I'll be happy.

Heck, just give me plain old cruise control, and I'll be very happy.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One thing I found when renting cars in Europe is they have a speed governed mode to the cruise control. If you set it to a particular speed the car will not allow you to exceed the speed set.
I seem to remember a place to set "maximum speed" somewhere in the configuration screens of my Model 3.
Maybe it was valet mode?

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Holy crap, I’ve been wanting that exact thing for years! I didn’t know Europe had it...
Here is a video on how it is used. The first time I had it was on an E class back in 2012. Since then I believe it has been on every MB (E class, B class, and GLE) I have rented and also a Volvo V90 I had in June that was the brand new one. The V90 actually would adjust the limit automatically based on reading speed signs. I knew it was doing it was reading the speed signs because it handled the dynamic speed limits on the M25 automatically.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I seem to remember a place to set "maximum speed" somewhere in the configuration screens of my Model 3.
Maybe it was valet mode?
Valet mode has it but that is a maximum speed and it is a pain to change. This would be using the same function as the cruise control so you could change it quickly when the speed limit changes. When in Europe I changed the speed all the time because you transition a lot from one speed to the other. Especially when they have dynamic speed limits in place for traffic.

RichEV

M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
If they can ... just get rid of the hard phantom breaking with TACC, I'll be happy.
I don't see much phantom braking while driving around town. I do get excessively early braking when a car makes a left across the road in front of me. That feels hard.

What types of situations do you have that give phantom braking?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't see much phantom braking while driving around town. I do get excessively early braking when a car makes a left across the road in front of me. That feels hard.

What types of situations do you have that give phantom braking?
Going around a bend, or transitioning over a hill, at 35 mph at night, with no traffic. Happens typical a couple of times on a 1 mile stretch near my house if its dark out. I use this road every day going to the gym.

Not sure if there are other roads in my town where it does the same thing, as I've given up using TACC on all but the highway now.

babula

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Did you try accelerating on your own to offset the automatic breaking?

RichEV

M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
Going around a bend, or transitioning over a hill, at 35 mph at night, with no traffic. Happens typical a couple of times on a 1 mile stretch near my house if its dark out. I use this road every day going to the gym.

Not sure if there are other roads in my town where it does the same thing, as I've given up using TACC on all but the highway now.
Bummer. Well, keep testing that section when you get new updates and let us know when it gets better.

Btw, I've taken to doing a quick 5mph dial-down on the TACC when approaching known curves that the car can't quite handle at full speed.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you try accelerating on your own to offset the automatic breaking?
No, as that kind of defeats the point of me using cruise control. I'm trying to lessen the work of keeping my car going not too fast or slow. With cruise control on, I can focus on just steering, not worry about speeding and watching my speed. If I have to keep my right foot hovering over the go pedal, being attentive to predicting when the car might phantom break, I'll just drive myself without any assists.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bummer. Well, keep testing that section when you get new updates and let us know when it gets better.

Btw, I've taken to doing a quick 5mph dial-down on the TACC when approaching known curves that the car can't quite handle at full speed.
I'll give that one a shot next. But still, I am tempted to drive my nasty 2012 F150 for these short trips now, just so I can have regular cruise. How sad is that?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What about creating a second profile with the audible speed warning at relative speed? Alternatively with that separate profile setting a speed limit?