Anyone have their roof glass tinted?

Country
Country
I've heard two installers tell me that the roof glass tends to crack if I tinted it. Does anyone else have it tinted? I want to install 3M Crystalline over it

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've heard two installers tell me that the roof glass tends to crack if I tinted it. Does anyone else have it tinted? I want to install 3M Crystalline over it
I have the "back window" tinted, but not the "sunroof". There were reports on early cars having the back window crack, but I haven't had an issue in 4 months.

Country
Country
I have the "back window" tinted, but not the "sunroof". There were reports on early cars having the back window crack, but I haven't had an issue in 4 months.
I've had every single other window except roof glass tinted for almost two months now and no issue.

scottismyname

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tinted every piece of glass, including the panoramic sunroof and windshield. Had it all on for over a month with no issues. A buddy of mine had his installed by a cheaper installer and had issues with cracks. Lesson is, take it to a reputable installer who has worked on tesla's before and you should be fine.

hamtonp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have all my windows tinted and they are fine. I think the windows are cracking due to the installer heating the tint to shrink and shape the tint on the windows. If you look at the edge of the sunroof or back glass you can see it is composed of two thinner glass with something in between. I think the thinness of the glass makes it more susceptible to cracking .

Mjp462

Country
Country
3 months ago I had my roof tinted by a terrible installer. I've had no issues with cracking.

Also, if you are in the San Diego area, stay away from a shop called, California Wraps. Worst tint & PPF job, ever!

calvan

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I just posted this same question in another forum, I should have read a little further to avoid redundancy. My local shop also recommended against a full rear window tint for the same reason. Someone said “early windows” but have they changed the window or are they still using the same ones? He said replacement cost runs around $1300 and that is not a risk I want to take. However tinted all windows but the rear seems like it would look really odd.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just posted this same question in another forum, I should have read a little further to avoid redundancy. My local shop also recommended against a full rear window tint for the same reason. Someone said “early windows” but have they changed the window or are they still using the same ones? He said replacement cost runs around $1300 and that is not a risk I want to take. However tinted all windows but the rear seems like it would look really odd.
My VIN is 5950 and my rear window has been fully tinted since February. No issues...

Country
Country
Hmm, I was talking about the small roof window. I have had my back glass tinted as two pieces since I got it months ago. The seam between the two pieces is right over the top window heater line across the back so you dont really even see it. No issues

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmm, I was talking about the small roof window. I have had my back glass tinted as two pieces since I got it months ago. The seam between the two pieces is right over the top window heater line across the back so you dont really even see it. No issues
Can you post inside and outside pictures of your rear window, including closeups of the seam? I'm curious about just how (non-) noticeable it is, and I'm sure others are too.

Mjp462

Country
Country
Go to a professional shop who can do the work. He doesn't want to do it or doesnt feel comfortable. Lots of shops can do the back window in 1 piece. Find one with amazing reviews and spend a couple extra dollars to get it done.

Country
Country
Can you post inside and outside pictures of your rear window, including closeups of the seam? I'm curious about just how (non-) noticeable it is, and I'm sure others are too.
Here you go. The seam is along the top line of the window heater. You can only see it for the one inch or so at the two sides since the heater doesn't go to the edge

Attachments

Sedina

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I am new to the forum. just ordered my 3 yesterday! I will be getting it tinted but need to find someone here in the Sacramento area. Does anyone on this forum know anyone?

PcGuy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Isn’t the factory tint on the roof just fine? I swore I saw Elon post something about this.

PcGuy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Point 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Country
Country
Do you have a picture with all the windows done?
3M Crystalline CR-70 on windshield and roof
3M Color Stable CS-35 on drivers and passengers windows
3M Color Stable CS-20 on rear windows and back window (2 pieces)

$600

Also, Xpel Ultimate Plus film on full front ($1700)

Attachments

Last edited: