Apple CarPlay

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Charles49

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just bought a Honda Accord for my wife. It has Apple Car Play, Android's version of Apple Car Play, whatever that's called, and bluetooth with plug-in/charge capabilities. Two weeks later we purchased a Model 3. Now I learn that it only plays my Apple Music via bluetooth with limited controls to boot. To add more to this issue my Tesla doesn't even show my Playlists. I guess its a good thing this (TM3) car drives itself since I'll be looking at my phone when I want to select another song. Oops, that's illegal in my state. Never mind... By the way, the Honda was less than half the cost of the Model 3. Come on Elon, help the us Apple cell phone users catch up with the music world in these great cars.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just bought a Honda Accord for my wife. It has Apple Car Play, Android's version of Apple Car Play, whatever that's called, and bluetooth with plug-in/charge capabilities. Two weeks later we purchased a Model 3. Now I learn that it only plays my Apple Music via bluetooth with limited controls to boot. To add more to this issue my Tesla doesn't even show my Playlists. I guess its a good thing this (TM3) car drives itself since I'll be looking at my phone when I want to select another song. Oops, that's illegal in my state. Never mind... By the way, the Honda was less than half the cost of the Model 3. Come on Elon, help the us Apple cell phone users catch up with the music world in these great cars.
The Tesla is not 2x the price of the Honda because of Apple CarPlay. it is 2x the cost because it is electric and everything that goes along with that and it being a Tesla (OTA updates, lower operating cost, clean, etc). if you are only buying a car based on carplay, you should have just gotten 2 hondas.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Still a valid point, IMO. You would expect a car that's this technologically advanced to have a little more functionality than what they've currently got when it comes to media playback.
Yeah, my Bentley Mulsanne doesn't have Apple CarPlay either.
For $300k, you think it would offer such basic functionality!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For a car touted as being so technically advanced, the TM3 UI is a little disappointing - more clunky and retro than I anticipated. I expected at least CarPlay level function, a better choice of streaming music services than my $300 TV, and hey, even my lowly fitbit displays my text messages....

Defjukie

Country
Country
Expensive != technologically advanced. Especially in the case of a Bentley.

I’m strictly talking about the common notion that Tesla’s are “iPads on wheels”, not how much the car costs.

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Tesla is not 2x the price of the Honda because of Apple CarPlay.
He never said that was the reason it cost more. :confused:

it is 2x the cost because it is electric and everything that goes along with that and it being a Tesla (OTA updates, lower operating cost, clean, etc). if you are only buying a car based on carplay, you should have just gotten 2 hondas.
It might be hard to resist the temptation to defend Tesla, but objectively speaking the Infotainment system is pretty poor and limits options to what Tesla decide you should use via the screen - seeing playlists via wired connection on the car's screen has been around since the mid-2000's. CarPlay and Android Auto remove the manufacturers limitations, that's why they were created with the user/driver in mind. But Tesla know best, right? I mean Slacker? Really? :rolleyes:

As to your point about OTA updates... yes they're great, usually. I saw Elon getting excited about providing some new games - maybe that's not the biggest priority right now?

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Neither does a McClaren F1 or a Porsche GTR - but neither of those cars are being sold as family saloons.

SR22pilot

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This has been a problem with Tesla since forever. Most cars recognize the old iPod command set. The lack of integration is shameful. While I would love Car Play, simple iPod integration would still be a big improvement. I have no idea what Tesla has against this. The laws in Georgia are pretty explicit about not playing on your phone. Fortunately, Siri can help. Still, Tesla should be embarrassed.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The problem with adding Apple CarPlay is that over half of the buyers don't care.
So then you also have to implement Android Auto for the other half.

On top of that, Elon is on record saying that he doesn't like either of those solutions.
Unfortunately, he's also not prioritizing a solution to this "integrate my phone" issue.

SR22pilot

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The problem with adding Apple CarPlay is that over half of the buyers don't care.
So then you also have to implement Android Auto for the other half.

On top of that, Elon is on record saying that he doesn't like either of those solutions.
Unfortunately, he's also not prioritizing a solution to this "integrate my phone" issue.
Yes, but they could at least offer a basic interface that wouldn't require touching the phone. My 2013 Genesis doesn't have Car Play but it does have basic capability and I can select songs without touching the phone. I can do that whether on Bluetooth or USB.

I admit I haven't tried Siri to play songs. I just got Siri to work for a simple command so that might be the way to go.

Flashgj

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have read that CarPlay has its issues (I used it once in a rental, other than that, not a lot of experience). But it showed my playlists and I could interact with my iPhone via the cars touch screen. If Elon does not like it, fine then give us your solution and prove that you can do it better. Unfortunately, the way it is now is very bad and as Tesla becomes more mainstream he will be hearing more and more complaints about the interface between cars and phones.
Personally I would feel a lot better if I could at least see Tesla trying to give us something better in that regards rather than spending time coming out with Atari games that I would think most of us don’t really care about. The games do nothing to improve my driving experience.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, I just tried playing around a bit with my antique iPod in the car, and it appears to just see the iPod as a USB drive. The songs are all there, but as pointed out, no playlists, and not even a random play feature :(. I really don't have an objection to using Slacker, it actually seems to work pretty well. I don't think anyone is insisting on having CarPlay itself (or the Android equivalent), but rather wishing that the TM3 interface include function that we've found useful in these other systems. Agree 100% on the stupidity of the Atari games - they seem to have been thrown in to give me something to do while sitting at the supercharger.

SR22pilot

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since my posts were split out and put into Apple Car Play I want to make sure everyone understands that I wasn't talking about Car Play although that would be nice. My comments were regarding basic iPod style interfacing where you can select the music on your phone and play it without having to user your phone. That is much more basic capability than Car Play and has nothing to do with allowing other apps to display on the screen.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I doubt the chip is installed to allow us to have Apple CarPlay, and I am fine with that. Just give us the ability to see our albums, playlists, etc so that we can make selections without going to our phones. Could it be that hard to implement?

kort677

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since my posts were split out and put into Apple Car Play I want to make sure everyone understands that I wasn't talking about Car Play although that would be nice. My comments were regarding basic iPod style interfacing where you can select the music on your phone and play it without having to user your phone. That is much more basic capability than Car Play and has nothing to do with allowing other apps to display on the screen.
can't you play the music files on your phone via bluetooth?

SR22pilot

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
can't you play the music files on your phone via bluetooth?
Yes, but selecting music requires using my phone which is illegal in Georgia. Besides, it is much more distracting than selecting off of the large touchscreen.

What i haven't tried is using Siri which may be a functional work around.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Totally agree that more control over playing audio on the phone would be very welcome. Right now basically only the BT Headset profile is available, so one cannot traverse the audio, skipping a couple of minutes in a podcast or a couple of seconds in a song. The "Next" button functionality is not really adequate. And I would certainly like to traverse my Spotify library, and pick the songs I like, not what the Slacker unpaid account wants to feed me.

I don't know if Android Auto or Apple CarPlay need special hardware. I don't think they do. They are basically Android apps in my Honda's Android-based infotainment system. They are super convenient, and they provide the alternative to the software upgrade capability of the Tesla's. A new app added to Apple CarPlay (such as recently Google Maps and Waze) becomes a new feature in your vehicle.

I understand that it may be problematic to support these systems in the Tesla software. But the USB iPhone interface should have been a no-brainer.

Slacker and TuneIn are nice, but I hardly use them. TuneIn has many podcasts and radio stations, but it often loses the place in the podcast, or gives and error downloading. So I mostly end up listening to FM radio, or playing the audio on my phone, and controlling what I play from there.

msjulie

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country