Apple Music (iPhone) interface

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Mistersandman

Country
Country
It looks like there is a function to search for music on the phone and download playlists but it appears blank. Has anyone gotten this to work? This would be awesome if possible since I have all my music on Apple Music and so does my entire family.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It looks like there is a function to search for music on the phone and download playlists but it appears blank. Has anyone gotten this to work? This would be awesome if possible since I have all my music on Apple Music and so does my entire family.
Apple Music can only be played via Bluetooth audio, which is my setup and works quite well in my opinion. An interface for Apple Music would be icing on the cake, but I’m not expecting it.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Apple Music can only be played via Bluetooth audio, which is my setup and works quite well in my opinion. An interface for Apple Music would be icing on the cake, but I’m not expecting it.
When I stream Apple Music through bluetooth, the audio is extremely low, even when I turn my volume all the way up, it's hard to hear when I drive on the freeway. Is this the same for you or is the sound normal for you when streaming through Bluetooth?

Wilson

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I stream Apple Music through bluetooth, the audio is extremely low, even when I turn my volume all the way up, it's hard to hear when I drive on the freeway. Is this the same for you or is the sound normal for you when streaming through Bluetooth?
Try turning up the volume on your phone?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Geez, I didn't even think of that! I'll try that later today next time I drive :)
I can confirm I don’t have that issue so most likely that your phone volume is low for sure on Bluetooth.

geoffreak

Driving My Model 3
Country
Country
Wait, can you seriously not play any playlists of music from Apple music from the phone while plugged in? You're joking, right? Even my current car with really dumb early 2010s iPod functionality can play any audio over the lightning cable. Are you saying this is not possible with the Model 3, or am I misunderstanding?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wait, can you seriously not play any playlists of music from Apple music from the phone while plugged in? You're joking, right? Even my current car with really dumb early 2010s iPod functionality can play any audio over the lightning cable. Are you saying this is not possible with the Model 3, or am I misunderstanding?
That’s correct (for now at least), the USB only charges the phone.

Mistersandman

Country
Country
It will play the playlists but you need to ask Siri to do it for now. You cannot navigate your lists from the car. I don’t think even the S or X have this capability. Right?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It will play the playlists but you need to ask Siri to do it for now. You cannot navigate your lists from the car. I don’t think even the S or X have this capability. Right?
That wasn't @geoffreak 's question, I think he was asking if the phone will play via hardwire. Assuming that, as I mentioned above the USB port only charges phones and audio from a phone only works with bluetooth. The only music that can play via the USB via thumb drive for now. Emphasis on the for now, as software updates come frequently!

geoffreak

Driving My Model 3
Country
Country
That is really disappointing. I use the wired audio quite frequently. I hope they fix it before I get my car as I just subscribed to Apple Music specifically for the road trip I'll be taking in my Model 3. Bluetooth audio quality sucks...

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That is really disappointing. I use the wired audio quite frequently. I hope they fix it before I get my car as I just subscribed to Apple Music specifically for the road trip I'll be taking in my Model 3. Bluetooth audio quality sucks...
I have used Bluetooth audio in my cars every day for the last 4+ years and honestly I don’t think it’s bad. With the Model 3 premium sound, dare I say the sound quality is excellent.

RSavage

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd love to have better control over my phone/music.....but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Bluetooth audio. I was amazed.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm trying to be a believer as so many here rave about the quality of the music over bluetooth, but I'm with you right now. Ford Sync - decent system - I can tell a difference between bluetooth and cable connected. I'm sure there are many factors that go into this, but it is definitely known that bluetooth has limitations on it's bandwidth. So - all I'm saying is that if bluetooth sounds as good as everyone says it does, then plugged in would have to sound even better. Hoping Tesla ups the game here soon with the audio capabilities of the car.

I like how Tesla can change the game, but they've dealt with a small crowd til now. You start making a car for hundreds of thousands and soon millions and there will be more and more pressure to do it like everyone is used to - plug in the phone to charge and play music.

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unless you use a USB splitter
...which Tesla does not recommend (see manual).
They really missed the boat on this. Ideally you need three ports up front, two for charging phones and one for music. It makes no sense to have two music ports since only one can be used at a time, and quite often you have 2 phones on board. If the phones played via the cable instead of Bluetooth I'd give them a pass, but this makes little sense.

BTW I'm using a 32 GB thumb drive with 15 GB of music. I prefer the UI. I hate playing through my phone without a car UI and Siri is a pain to use

Last edited: