1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Apple + Tesla

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill' started by EV3Tim, May 12, 2016.

More threads by EV3Tim
  1. EV3Tim

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Dayton, OH, USA
    Is today's talk about Apple buying Tesla (http://bit.ly/24OoDA3) a good thing or bad thing for Model 3 Reservists?

2. Badback

Valued Community Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Country
    A BAD thing! Unless you want to ship all of the jobs to China.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for someone to buy something. doesn't someone else have to sell it?

• Like Like x 2
  3. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    • Like Like x 2
  4. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    Apple is in very deep into their Project Titan. They're spending $10B alone this year on R&D.

Apple is very much into doing things their own way without involving another company for development. When the time comes for manufacturing they will either spend their foreign money on building factories or partner with someone. They did have talks with Tesla a couple of years ago, most likely about obtaining batteries from them given all the talk about the Gigafactory but nothing has come of it. If there were any agreements Elon would have hinted at it a lot more given his propensity for dropping hints.

Every time something about manufacturing comes up its's silly season with Tesla and Apple rumours. Not gonna happen in my books.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Country
    @Trev,

Agreed. I can't in my wildest dreams see Elon selling out to Apple. Horrified thinking about it. Granted my whole family has Apple products.....IPhones, IPads......alike. Great ecosystem. Love them. But PLEASE.......Don't ruin a good thing......"Just Say NO"....:)

Ski

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bon

Bon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles, California
    I would cancel my order if that happens.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Badback

Valued Community Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Country
    I don't own any Apple products, never have, never will. I just don't like Apple. Maybe my reasons are irrational but I was around at the beginning of the Macintosh. POS in my opinion. And, I never liked their business model from a consumer POV. It just seems that they like to take advantage of those less tech savy.

Maybe someone else can explain why Apple has always tasted sour to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Curtish8892

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Canada
    Would not bother me any, but a partnership would be better.

Apple partners with all three of Musk's companies.

Computer/software/servers for SpaceX, Tesla and Solar City.

Lots of money for the Model 3 ramp up.

9. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    before I had any apple items, 8 or 9 years ago, I think I felt the same. Seemed their products were at a premium price just because of the name. Then I wanted to get the Nike+ run tracker thing so got the smallest/cheapest iPod nano I could and was a goner immediately. Within a year I had a laptop. Then a MacMini that was set up as a home theater computer, then an iPhone, then an AppleTV, then the next iPhone, then a new laptop, then a new iPhone, an iPad, another new iPhone, a Watch and so on and so on....
    So now the original laptop and macmini, both 2007 models, I still have and use. The laptop just for specific software I only have on PC format (running under a MS partition) and only issue I've ever had with any hardware is replacing the battery on the old laptop and apple replacing the video card (well after warranty even) for no charge. The thing about them is they just work. They don't get viruses. They don't get bogged down like a PC. you can have as much control as you would a PC, or you can be a dumb user. everything is seamless between the phone, iPad, computer, watch, etc... I can forget my phone at work and get home and have a call ring on my laptop or iPad. I can start watching something in one place and pick it up on another. printers et all install in a second without ever a hitch. Did I mention things just work? ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    Apple today seems a lot less innovative than when Steve Jobs was in charge...

So, if Apple acquires Tesla, and then installs Elon as Chairman, that might work for me... However, Tim Cook heading the whole thing, I might have an issue with. At least it's not John Sculley...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. B-Dogg

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Ireland
    IF WE CAN PORT WATCH OS TO THE TESLA MODEL 3 WE HAVE NOW HAVE A MAGICAL, COMPELLING, REVOLUTIONARY PRODUCT.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Les Inanchy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    1210 Minnesota Ave, San Jose, CA 95125
    I know that there will always be the Apple vs. Google discussions, but think of the type of companies here. Google's business is selling your data to advertisers. Think of sitting in your Tesla and getting bombarded with ads on the big screen in your dashboard. Google would be keeping the data on everywhere you went. And then there is the point that Google's thing is software, not hardware. Just look at their autonomous car. Is this what you want Tesla to evolve in to. On the other hand, Apple has designed and build high quality, precision products. Form and function are both critical. Tesla and Apple are more alike in their product philosophy. Google is more like GM. Just my opinion, but think about it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Carl

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Hot springs ar
    The part of a recent article. "Billionaire long-term investor Ron Baron said Tuesday that Tesla Motors could be a stock he owns for the next 10 to 20 years. "I think in this one investment we can make $6 or $7 billion" over that time period, he said.

"I think this could be one of the largest companies in the United States and the whole world," Baron told CNBC's "Squawk Box." In a wide-ranging interview, he also said the overall stock market is cheap at current levels.

Baron said it's taken three years to amass a $300 million stake in Tesla, with an average cost per share of $210. "So we've made very little so far. But often times it takes us a very long time to [make money]."

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    No, it does not. And it blows my mind that people still believe this. They don't let advertisers anywhere near that information. They accept ads from advertisers, and use the "data" to decide which ads to show to which users, but the data itself is never seen by advertisers, or even by Google employees.
    Please read the following to become better informed:
    Does Google sell my personal information?
    Remember, Google was the company that replaced in-your-face, annoying advertising with understated, and often useful advertising. Remember "punch the monkey"?
    In case you didn't realize it, Tesla already does that.
    And they track everywhere you go as well. And they show you ads as well.
    The price of free: how Apple, Facebook, Microsoft and Google sell you to advertisers

You're correct that Apple has more history with designing hardware, but that was under Steve Jobs, and beautiful hardware is one area where Tesla doesn't need any help.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  15. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    It may seem that way but I think it all goes back to Apple being in an incredible growth phase when Steve was at the helm. Their products are very mature now so the changes are incremental rather than radical which gives the impression of being less "innovative". Apple is a very careful company and rarely invents anything, even though the industry seems to expect them to. What they are extremely good at is identifying product categories that are lacking in design, finesse and innovation and bringing their "special sauce" and improving it. They didn't invent the MP3 player, the cell phone, the laptop, watches, tablets etc... They just improved them.

However, one cannot keep selling iPads and iPhones forever, you need growth and those categories, evidenced by leveling sales, prove it.

"Project Titan", the worst kept secret in Silicon Valley, is their EV project. Apple is spending monumental amounts of R&D on this ($10B this year alone up from $3B a year ago). Apple will bring a car to market in the next few years. This will signal a completely new direction for Apple into a new product category they think they can improve on. Time will tell if it's better than Tesla but at least it will have Apple's design flavour and their take on user interface etc...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
    Country
    #16 Michael Russo, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    This suggests Apple would have its sight on T≡SLA..?! I can't help but look at this somewhat skeptically... I only imagine Elon selling if he was convinced this was the only way that he can accomplish his long term vision... which I doubt is the case...
    http://www.smarteranalyst.com/2016/...op-takeover-targets-apple-inc-aapl-wish-list/
    Edited: moved this to the appropriate thread - should have searched for this better, sorry folks! - Anyways, thanks to @Red Sage for waking me up... ;)
    So maybe the 12/27 Smarteranalyst.com notice is old news... whatever, I still take it with a grain of salt... and would rather NOT see it happen...

17. Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles CA
    Country
    I really liked it when the iMac arrived. I thought that finally, Apple had returned to their roots. They were going to build Home Computers, instead of Workstations for professionals, or trying to replicate the Windows application suite for office use. Yeah. I had visions of a new generation of Children learning to program as I had as a child. Even if it were a bit more advanced than PEEKs and POKEs.

Nope.

Instead, iOS (AKA i$#!+) devices came soon after and 'saved' Apple. So you got great devices with an even more closed environment than the Macintosh was. Before long it seemed I was the only person who even remembered what computers were or what they were used for. People know what apps are, but have no clue what applications are... They 'post' things all the time, but have no idea where they go. I now live in a world where everyone has devices that automatically 'sync' for them, but they don't know what that means, how it is done, or how to turn it off. I currently rather despise just about anything on any device that is an 'automatic, default' setting. Because they always seem to do the exact opposite of my personal preference.

Just a couple of days ago I had to explain to preteens and teenagers that the 'app' they were using was putting every video they recorded on the internet. The kids protested, saying that after 35+ years working with computers, I was the one who didn't know what I was talking about. Sure enough, there was NOTHING on their devices, because EVERYTHING they recorded was being sent to remote servers by default. Which was why they couldn't access any of it unless they were connected to WiFi. How it is the Children didn't know that the word 'Post' means 'Put this on the internet' I may never know. They were incredulous, peeved, and not the least bit miffed when I pointed out that whether they posted 'privately' or posted 'publicly' they were STILL posting on the internet. Or, that they were giving permission to a third party service to use their work any way they wanted to in perpetuity. I literally had to say to them that 'WiFi is the internet.'

But anyway... I noticed a long time ago that Microsoft was steadily attempting to insulate users from the computing experience. They did so by continually moving around the access points to options screens so that they were hidden behind new menu choices that had been renamed in each revision. And access to some things were simply thrown away entirely with driver updates. Far as I can tell, Microsoft never quite got it right, though the Surface devices are certainly coated in a big, thick, heaping gob of that insulation. And I realized that ultimately, I should just give up on such things, because they weren't designed for ME anyway. They were meant to be appliances, disposable ones, for people to use to access tiny fractional pieces of the internet in the simplest possible way. And nothing more.

Do I want Apple (or Google) to buy Tesla? Hell no! I'd much rather create some stupid app that makes me around $96,000,000,000 in the next year or so, then I can buy Tesla myself. Yeah. That would be much more productive, I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1