Are there any phones that work well?

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not as a phone, but as a Tesla Model 3 Fob?

My Samsung Galaxy S6 works most of the time, but it takes upwards of 30 seconds to connect with the car so I can open the doors. I almost always have to take the phone out of my pocket, turn it on, and bring the Tesla app to the front.

I'd even consider switching to an iPhone if they worked the way I expected.

mxbzz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Apple phones are definitely seeing higher success rates than Android right now.

In 100 days with my car and a few hundred locks and unlocks I would say the number of failures is 5 or less giving me a 99% success rate!

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll give that a try, mxbzz, I thought I'd done it already but looks like I didn't.

SolanaModel3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The setting mxbzz mentioned should solve your issues... The battery optimization of later Android versions is a bit too agressive and interferes with the necessary backgriund app functions...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My iPhone 7 works about 10% of the time. The other 90% I have to pull the phone out open the Tesla app and usually manually unlock the car. It’s absolutely terrible. In fact, when it works I’m surprised. It’s the one thing I’m actually embarrassed about when showing the car to people.

Last edited:

Rhaekar

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had some issues the first 2 weeks but ever since then it's been near perfect. Worse case has been I just had to hit the home button on my phone to turn the screen on and it opens, don't even have to unlock it. Even that is pretty rare though. It's a galaxy s7 edge.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My iPhone 7 works about 10% of the time. The other 90% I have to pull the phone out open the Tesla app and usually manually unlock the car. It’s absolutely terrible. In fact, when it works I’m surprised. It’s the one thing I’m actually embarrassed about when showing the car to people.
What iOS are you on? Most with iPhone are having pretty good luck, so seems something is certainly off with your phone, Bluetooth or car

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One thing that I have noticed is that iPhones do not work very well at all if you use them in "low power mode" (settings -> battery -> low power mode). Is it possible that could be your issue?

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just posted this in the thread about Android but thought I'd post it here as well.....

I have a Samsung S8+ and it works great. The only regular flaw I've noticed is that once each morning I need to turn on airplane mode then turn it off again. Once I do that it phone works the rest of the day without issue. I did adjust one setting that I read about before I got the car, I think it was to allow the app to work in the background.

sclyde

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One thing that I have noticed is that iPhones do not work very well at all if you use them in "low power mode" (settings -> battery -> low power mode). Is it possible that could be your issue?
@Matt Marshall If you're still having problems after that, it would be worth logging out of the app and/or removing the connection to your phone from the car, then re-connecting it. Mine stopped working after an update a while back, re-connected it and it's been fine since.

goto10

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My Note 8 has always worked fine with only a handful of hiccups in my ~2 months of ownership. I haven't done anything special with app/power settings.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Apple phones are definitely seeing higher success rates than Android right now.

In 100 days with my car and a few hundred locks and unlocks I would say the number of failures is 5 or less giving me a 99% success rate!
That's rediculously too high. A keyfob has 100% success unless the battery is dead. Most cars will tell you when battery is low, so as long as one replaces the battery, the success is 100%. We need a physical keyfob.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not as a phone, but as a Tesla Model 3 Fob?

My Samsung Galaxy S6 works most of the time, but it takes upwards of 30 seconds to connect with the car so I can open the doors. I almost always have to take the phone out of my pocket, turn it on, and bring the Tesla app to the front.

I'd even consider switching to an iPhone if they worked the way I expected.
Don't get an LG G5 or LG V30.

Samsung S8+ works well with the Model 3, although out of preference, I'm not sure if keeping the S8+.

I would liked an alternative to Samsung or Apple.

Last edited:

mkg3

Country
Country
My wife - Galaxy S8, me - iPhone X.

Both no issues. We've had the vehicle since 7/6/18.

Side note - Remote S on Apple Watch works just fine to unlock, lock open f/trunk without a phone.