Are there any phones that work well?

  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
M3OC Supporting Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2017
Messages
242
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#1
Not as a phone, but as a Tesla Model 3 Fob?

My Samsung Galaxy S6 works most of the time, but it takes upwards of 30 seconds to connect with the car so I can open the doors. I almost always have to take the phone out of my pocket, turn it on, and bring the Tesla app to the front.

I'd even consider switching to an iPhone if they worked the way I expected.
 

mxbzz

Active Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2018
Messages
37
Location
Bay Area, CA
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#2

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
Moderator
M3OC Supporting Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2017
Messages
8,851
Location
Florida
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#3
Apple phones are definitely seeing higher success rates than Android right now.

In 100 days with my car and a few hundred locks and unlocks I would say the number of failures is 5 or less giving me a 99% success rate!
 

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
M3OC Supporting Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2017
Messages
242
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#4
I'll give that a try, mxbzz, I thought I'd done it already but looks like I didn't.
 

SolanaModel3

Active Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2017
Messages
62
Location
Solana Beach, CA
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#6
The setting mxbzz mentioned should solve your issues... The battery optimization of later Android versions is a bit too agressive and interferes with the necessary backgriund app functions...
 
Joined
Apr 21, 2018
Messages
1
Location
Texas
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#7
My iPhone 7 works about 10% of the time. The other 90% I have to pull the phone out open the Tesla app and usually manually unlock the car. It’s absolutely terrible. In fact, when it works I’m surprised. It’s the one thing I’m actually embarrassed about when showing the car to people.
 
Last edited:

Rhaekar

Active Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2018
Messages
70
Location
San Diego
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#10
I had some issues the first 2 weeks but ever since then it's been near perfect. Worse case has been I just had to hit the home button on my phone to turn the screen on and it opens, don't even have to unlock it. Even that is pretty rare though. It's a galaxy s7 edge.
 

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Moderator
Joined
Apr 2, 2016
Messages
6,330
Location
Vancouver, WA
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#11
My iPhone 7 works about 10% of the time. The other 90% I have to pull the phone out open the Tesla app and usually manually unlock the car. It’s absolutely terrible. In fact, when it works I’m surprised. It’s the one thing I’m actually embarrassed about when showing the car to people.
What iOS are you on? Most with iPhone are having pretty good luck, so seems something is certainly off with your phone, Bluetooth or car
 

PatrickM

Active Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2017
Messages
159
Location
Fort Collins, Colorado
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#13
My iPhone 7 works about 10% of the time. The other 90% I have to pull the phone out open the Tesla app and usually manually unlock the car. It’s absolutely terrible. In fact, when it works I’m surprised. It’s the one thing I’m actually embarrassed about when showing the car to people.
One thing that I have noticed is that iPhones do not work very well at all if you use them in "low power mode" (settings -> battery -> low power mode). Is it possible that could be your issue?
 

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Joined
Sep 15, 2017
Messages
1,191
Location
Oro Valley, AZ
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#15
I just posted this in the thread about Android but thought I'd post it here as well.....

I have a Samsung S8+ and it works great. The only regular flaw I've noticed is that once each morning I need to turn on airplane mode then turn it off again. Once I do that it phone works the rest of the day without issue. I did adjust one setting that I read about before I got the car, I think it was to allow the app to work in the background.
 

sclyde

Active Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
145
Location
Salt Lake
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#16
One thing that I have noticed is that iPhones do not work very well at all if you use them in "low power mode" (settings -> battery -> low power mode). Is it possible that could be your issue?
@Matt Marshall If you're still having problems after that, it would be worth logging out of the app and/or removing the connection to your phone from the car, then re-connecting it. Mine stopped working after an update a while back, re-connected it and it's been fine since.
 

goto10

Active Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2018
Messages
40
Location
Provo, UT
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#17
My Note 8 has always worked fine with only a handful of hiccups in my ~2 months of ownership. I haven't done anything special with app/power settings.
 
Joined
May 23, 2018
Messages
3
Location
oakley, ca
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#18
Apple phones are definitely seeing higher success rates than Android right now.

In 100 days with my car and a few hundred locks and unlocks I would say the number of failures is 5 or less giving me a 99% success rate!
That's rediculously too high. A keyfob has 100% success unless the battery is dead. Most cars will tell you when battery is low, so as long as one replaces the battery, the success is 100%. We need a physical keyfob.
 
Last edited:
Joined
May 23, 2018
Messages
3
Location
oakley, ca
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#19
Not as a phone, but as a Tesla Model 3 Fob?

My Samsung Galaxy S6 works most of the time, but it takes upwards of 30 seconds to connect with the car so I can open the doors. I almost always have to take the phone out of my pocket, turn it on, and bring the Tesla app to the front.

I'd even consider switching to an iPhone if they worked the way I expected.
Don't get an LG G5 or LG V30.

Samsung S8+ works well with the Model 3, although out of preference, I'm not sure if keeping the S8+.

I would liked an alternative to Samsung or Apple.
 
Last edited:

mkg3

Active Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
151
Location
SoCal
Country
Country
#20
My wife - Galaxy S8, me - iPhone X.

Both no issues. We've had the vehicle since 7/6/18.

Side note - Remote S on Apple Watch works just fine to unlock, lock open f/trunk without a phone.