1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Auto Pilot Low Speed Limit - Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by thril, Jun 13, 2018.

1. thril

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    We live close to a highway which is posted 80 km/h. It is not a divided highway but one lane each direction with well painted outside and center lines.

AP limits to 70 km/h. Is this the current limit for Model 3 for any highway that is not a divided one? It is a highway but most 'exits' are turns where people could potentially fully stop in order to turn off of the highway even against traffic. In this sense, maybe they consider all non divided highways as the same and the limit is 70 km/h?

2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    it souldn't be the top speed of 70 that is the limit, but 5 over the speed limit. (at least in the US, 5 miles over... maybe a different # of kilometers over) if not on a divided highway. So, your 80km posted road may be picking up something adjacent that is lower or info is out of date.
    Tesla looks at any road that is not a divided highway the same, so if it technically is called a highway, street, road, etc, if it has 2 way traffic with stops/starts it will be limited to 5 (or whatever the km limit is) over.

3. Spiffywerks

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    How old is the road and was the speed limit every adjusted? ( from 70 to 80?)

There are some areas I have found where the speed limit posted does not match the car’s data for the speed limit in the area.

The car does not “read” posted signs. It goes by whatever map data it has, so it could just be out of date or incorrectly recorded in the mapping database.

Could email Tesla. I’m sure it’s something their AP team handles.

4. thril

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    It's 60 km/h for a stretch through a small town and then goes up to 80 km/h. The whole way AP limits max 70 km/h.

I think you must be right, that the map data is wrong! I will contact Tesla.

5. Ed Woodrick

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    The maps down here in the states are significantly off for speed limits. I'd say that they are approaching 50% errors with the speed limits signs. My Garmin GPS is just about 100% accurate, so I know the data is available, but this is currently terrible.

What's worse is that on roads without the car knowing the speed limit, it is restricted to 45 mph. And there is no +5 on top of that.

6. thril

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    It seems like they are using Google maps data.

I read that this data used to be available publicly but now it is only in select apps and not even displayed any longer in the Google Maps app. Perhaps the reason is that it is poor quality.

7. jsmay311

Expand Collapse

Country
    That could explain the observed 70 km/h limit. (45mph = 72km/h)

8. thril

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Good point.. that is most likely it.

I sent a message to Tesla via the online portal under manage your car. Will post if I hear back.

9. summerfun

Expand Collapse

Country
    Okay wait! I thought all Tesla cars were gathering data with each mile, while recognizing road and speed limit signs. Now you are saying Tesla is using outdated Google maps data for speed limits? If it is not gathering data as simple as speed limits, what data is Tesla actually gathering?

10. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I thought Tesla said that the car recognized speed limit signs too at one point, but certainly various behaviors of autopilot suggest that they're just making use of a database of speed limits rather than real-time sign recognition.
    They're using Google Map data for the map itself. It's not clear which data they're getting from Google, and which data is from their own data collection efforts. I've found one instance where a road name was different on the Tesla from what Google Maps displays.