Auto Pilot Question - Used Cars

Chad Mast

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
So I see a lot of information an pricing on auto pilot but I still have some questions. I am a bargain shopper and the model 3 is suppose to be for the masses. So my questions are If I buy the auto pilot upgrade the 5k(EAP) and the 3k(FSD) upgrades are those tied to the car? Can I upgrade to a new car and have those software upgrade moved to my new car? If someone else has paid for the software upgrade and then Sells their car to me do I get the software upgrade? or do I have to pay for it myself? Can I sell my license/upgrade on my car to someone else and remove it? Software can be bought and sold in most cases and as this is a software purchase and at considerable price, I should be able to use it like any other commodity. But these type of questions don't seem to have any answers that I can find Does anyone have Information on this?

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I see a lot of information an pricing on auto pilot but I still have some questions. I am a bargain shopper and the model 3 is suppose to be for the masses.
Be careful with that sort of labeling. The model 3 is a more affordable car. But it's still an "entry-level luxury" sedan, not an econo-box.
So my questions are If I buy the auto pilot upgrade the 5k(EAP) and the 3k(FSD) upgrades are those tied to the car?
Yes.
Can I upgrade to a new car and have those software upgrade moved to my new car?
No, you would have to pay for those options on your new car.
If someone else has paid for the software upgrade and then Sells their car to me do I get the software upgrade? or do I have to pay for it myself?
You get the upgrade.
Can I sell my license/upgrade on my car to someone else and remove it?
Nope. Once bought, it cannot be "returned".
Software can be bought and sold in most cases and as this is a software purchase and at considerable price, I should be able to use it like any other commodity.
You're better off thinking of this as an option for a car. It's not a "software purchase". Going further off-topic, software is usually "licensed" - I doubt that you've ever actually "bought" software at any point in your life. You've merely purchased a license to use software.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Worth noting that an unlocked AP car would be worth more then a non so you'd get some money back on it. I believe all CPOs that are capable of autopilot have it unlocked so there is less confusion and its less about what the previous owner did/didnt purchase.

Chad Mast

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
You're better off thinking of this as an option for a car. It's not a "software purchase". Going further off-topic, software is usually "licensed" - I doubt that you've ever actually "bought" software at any point in your life. You've merely purchased a license to use software.
This is semantics, I go buy windows operating system CD I get a license I can sell this to another individual. I go buy a xbox video game, I can turn around and sell it.

I trust Tesla to be truthful, but if if someone turns in their car to get a newer one. How can I be sure that they are being truthful about it having or not having these upgrades. Seems they could set the car back to a default settings and make me pay for a license all over again, even though the previous owner of the car paid for it. If I don't have something physical at purchase then the company could resell those licenses to each new owner of a used vehicle and there is no way for the new owner to know.

Software upgrade in a car with the requirement of payments for this software seems to me to lead to alot of potential fraud on the companies part. What is to stop them from saying you bought a new piece of hardware not the software license we sold to the previous owner. That license is not transferable. It seems to set a precedence for other auto builders.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is semantics, I go buy windows operating system CD I get a license I can sell this to another individual. I go buy a xbox video game, I can turn around and sell it.

I trust Tesla to be truthful, but if if someone turns in their car to get a newer one. How can I be sure that they are being truthful about it having or not having these upgrades. Seems they could set the car back to a default settings and make me pay for a license all over again, even though the previous owner of the car paid for it. If I don't have something physical at purchase then the company could resell those licenses to each new owner of a used vehicle and there is no way for the new owner to know.

Software upgrade in a car with the requirement of payments for this software seems to me to lead to alot of potential fraud on the companies part. What is to stop them from saying you bought a new piece of hardware not the software license we sold to the previous owner. That license is not transferable. It seems to set a precedence for other auto builders.
All CPOs have autopilot unlocked. Problem solved. Question is would you get more money on your trade to Tesla. Probably not. Just be better off selling privately.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
All CPOs have autopilot unlocked. Problem solved.
Not every used Tesla is a CPO. @Chad Mast has a point - is there some sort of official documentation trail of a car having Autopilot and FSD? If you order it that way, then the Monroney sticker has it. But if the car is upgraded later, then I guess you'd have to obtain a receipt from the original owner?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Worth noting that an unlocked AP car would be worth more then a non so you'd get some money back on it. I believe all CPOs that are capable of autopilot have it unlocked so there is less confusion and its less about what the previous owner did/didnt purchase.
Yes, I would agree it's worth more in theory; but in reality it's only worth more if your buyer wants EAP/FSD and places value on it. If FSD never happens (extreme case) then there won't be much return on that $3k upgrade :)