1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Autocross & the Model 3

Discussion in 'Design' started by HvyMtlChaos, Sep 8, 2016.

More threads by HvyMtlChaos
  1. HvyMtlChaos

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pennsburg, PA
    Country
    I've done a few autocross events in the past (2004 Subaru STi) and 2x 24 Hours of Lemons races (which I definitely will NOT be doing with my Model 3) but I'd like to get back to autocross once I have my M3 since it would be the first car since my STi that I think might be good for it.

Now obviously the logistics of this would depend how far from either my house, a supercharger, or a level 2 charger the autox event is, but I just wanted to see if anyone else is looking to do stuff like this with their M3. I'm sure the M3 isn't even classified yet as far as the SCCA is concerned but I know the Model S is as F Street.

I think my only concern around this is how much charge a few runs will eat up which would govern how far from home/supercharger/level2 charger any event could be for me. Only alternative I can think of if an event is too far away from all of those is to lug a gas generator along to charge just enough to reach back to a preferred charger afterwards.

2. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Buy a Tesla power wall, take it down from the wall & throw it in the back seat. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • AutoMcD

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Cleveland, OH
      Awesome, I'm in the same boat. Did Lemons two years and autocrossed in an old BMW E30.
      Most of the events around here are less than 50mi away, I'm not too worried about it. We get 4-6 runs. A nearby supercharger should would be convenient though.

I did see a photo of someone who races the S, he brought in a trailer with two giant generators and charging stations on it. :)