Automatic E-Braking is Disabled / Car Needs Service / Steering Assist Reduced

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yesterday, i started driving and noticed that the regenerative braking wasn't working and the above warnings were cycling through with the orange swerving car icon at the top right was lit (see very crude ig story screenshot).

i drove home very conservatively and just charged it when i got home. this morning, everything was back to normal. i still scheduled an appointment for tomorrow so we shall see what the issue was.

has this happened to anyone else??

Attachments

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got this tonight. Just fro ve home and put in garage and hoping it’ll clear up tomorrow. What firmware are you on? I’m on 18.3 now.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got this tonight. Just fro ve home and put in garage and hoping it’ll clear up tomorrow. What firmware are you on? I’m on 18.3 now.
I’m on 18.3 as well. Did you try doing a hard restart?

If not, hopefully it’s just a bug and clears itself up.

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m hoping. Yup, I did the reboot, nothing.

I’ll plug in “Fluffy” tonight and hope it miraculously Wolverine’s itself by tomorrow morning.

Did you ever go to your appointment and did the errors ever come back then clear again or was it just that one time?

Update 1:
I plugged in M3 last night to charge and this morning errors are gone. I might have to rename it Logan or Wolverine. So maybe just a bug. I’ll report back if it pops up again.

On a lighter note, my Kagu floor mats came in and they fit very nicely.

Update 2:
I drove all day yesterday and the error has not reappeared. Hopefully it was just just some sort of re calibration on the systems part from the 18.3 update.

Last edited:

telero

Country
Country
Had this same error twice now. Sunday afternoon around 3pm while heading to a friends house, just after taking a left hand turn. Parked there and when we left about an hour and a half later it was back to normal.

Second time was this evening. Similar situation, taking a left hand turn and then noticed there was no regenerative braking, and started getting the error messages. Was close to home this time so went to park and backed in and in the backup camera the steering lines were curved all the way to the right, no matter what direction the steering wheel was turned. Parked and used the menu to power the car off, then turned it back on and the error messages were still there. Used the 2-scroll button reset and the errors cleared upon reboot.

This was with the 18.3 update pending, but not yet installed. Have now installed 18.3, but not driven yet.

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had this same error twice now. Sunday afternoon around 3pm while heading to a friends house, just after taking a left hand turn. Parked there and when we left about an hour and a half later it was back to normal.

Second time was this evening. Similar situation, taking a left hand turn and then noticed there was no regenerative braking, and started getting the error messages. Was close to home this time so went to park and backed in and in the backup camera the steering lines were curved all the way to the right, no matter what direction the steering wheel was turned. Parked and used the menu to power the car off, then turned it back on and the error messages were still there. Used the 2-scroll button reset and the errors cleared upon reboot.

This was with the 18.3 update pending, but not yet installed. Have now installed 18.3, but not driven yet.
I installed and drove maybe 150 miles before I got the "fun" error. I've just driven another 130 and it hasn't come back yet. So that's a plus.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the same experience last night. Backing the car into the garage, got the same set of warnings, and the curved lines on the backup camera that telero saw. This morning, everything was fine. I'm on 18.3, and called tesla today. They promised to pull logs and call me back, but haven't yet.

Point 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had this about a month ago. Tried resetting several times with Tesla on the phone and would not clear. It did however clear on its own later that same day.
They scheduled a service appointment for a week later and when I got there they told me it would need a part which they would order and call me back (I believe they said it was a sensor in the steering wheel)

Still haven’t heard back from them and the error has never returned.

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got these same errors last night. I am on firmware 32.3. I hope the SC is open on Labor Day.

Edit: plugged in last night and therefore are gone this morning. FYI: I did power off the car and reboot as well yesterday with no improvement.

Attachments

Last edited:

AZDMD

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Happened to me on my fourth day of having the car. Service had it from Thursday to Monday because of how backed up they are. They replaced the steering control module.
What’s next and where will I be?

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Haven't had this reoccur again. Didn't go anything besides what I described above.

Jason1234

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife and I each had this happen. Rebooting while driving did not help, but pulling over and going into Park and rebooting put it back to normal. The car is really tough to drive when this is happening.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Happened to me on my fourth day of having the car. Service had it from Thursday to Monday because of how backed up they are. They replaced the steering control module.
What’s next and where will I be?
Hello AZDMD,

We had similar experience with our Model 3 for which we took delivery on September 15. We were getting all the errors described in this thread and after dealing with them for a couple weeks had the car taken to the service center. As in your case, our service center said they were backed up and it took them 3 days to finally diagnose the issue. They called today and said they would be replacing the steering rack and that it might be sometime mid next week before they have it ready.

Did the steering control module replacement fix your issue? Have you experienced any other errors since getting your car back?

Thank you!