Automatic Frunk

Matthias Fritz

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
this guy from the YT channel called i1Tesla just had the glorious idea to change out the struts on the Model 3's Frunk to make it open by itself if popped open. not bad isn't it? see video below for more instructions and how to change the struts.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have to admit it is a cool idea and fairly simple.
It doesn't help with the real problem with the frunk though, which is closing it.
Frankly I avoid using the frunk just because of hand prints and worries about denting it.
Another aftermarket opportunity for a self-grabbing latch...

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It doesn't help with the real problem with the frunk though, which is closing it.
Yes!

I really want to replace the latch with a motorized one. Something that will sense when the hood comes down close, and then pulls it the rest of the way shut. Mercedes calls this feature "soft close".

It looks like Mercedes uses vacuum lines to do this, which isn't going to work well in a Tesla. I'm still trying to find a car that has this feature but uses electricity instead of vacuum. Any ideas?

quadmasta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes!

I really want to replace the latch with a motorized one. Something that will sense when the hood comes down close, and then pulls it the rest of the way shut. Mercedes calls this feature "soft close".

It looks like Mercedes uses vacuum lines to do this, which isn't going to work well in a Tesla. I'm still trying to find a car that has this feature but uses electricity instead of vacuum. Any ideas?

*many* Lincolns from the 90s had this on their trunk

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have to admit it is a cool idea and fairly simple.
Frankly I avoid using the frunk just because of hand prints and worries about denting it.
Another aftermarket opportunity for a self-grabbing latch...
Exactly —no issue with the way it opens. Hate the way it closes. Finger print city mixed with a risk of bending the hood.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
*many* Lincolns from the 90s had this on their trunk
This was a signature of Cadillacs too in the 80s and 90s.
And all self-closing hatchbacks on all the SUVs these days (as well as the Model S) also have self closing latches.
I really don't think it would be that hard to retrofit.

JeffinAZ

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes!

My wife is so upset about the lack of soft close on our M3 -- would love a motorized latch!

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's gonna bend the hood eventually
I actually think it will be fine.

When the hood is shut, the strut is pushing mostly "forward" on the hood instead of "up". So that won't cause anything to bend. The increased bending force mostly happens in the fully "up" position, when you go to close the hood. The hood is boxed a lot fore-to-aft to resist bending.

You can see a built-in bending point on the hood a few inches forward of where the struts attach. That allows the hood to bend in case of a minor front-end accident. It should protect the hood hinges from bending, but the main purpose is probably pedestrian-related. But if this modification would end up causing the hood to bend, that's where it would happen.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What does everyone think about this mod? Considering doing, but might wait a bit to see if this guy reports any warping of the hood. Pretty cool though!
It looks like one of the moderators moved your post to this existing thread.

Some think it will warp. I don't. See my post above.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It looks like one of the moderators moved your post to this existing thread.

Some think it will warp. I don't. See my post above.
I moved it — upon watching it again I noticed that he closes the frunk quite easily with one hand over the emblem area. I want to see how his solution holds up...

quadmasta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's a picture of the model 3 frunk latch. It's got two cables attached and the latch mechanism looks complicated. Probably because it locks if you walk away from the car and it's popped but not open.

I'm not sure anything could easily be retrofitted

Attachments

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like the idea, but personally would prefer this feature for the trunk. I'm fine withe the frunk as is. As mentioned, it would be better to have an auto close to shut it safely. Due to it not being friendly for closing, I just keep stuff up there like UMC, inflator, tire slime, jack, lug wrench, plug kit, rags, and cleaning supplies.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There's got to be a way to retrofit something like this.
This would be a much better way to close the frunk:

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The problem with the Lincoln/Caddie pull downs is that they appear to be on the "metal bar" side of the latch, rather than the receiver side.

An 82-92 Camaro/Firebird hatchback has a pulldown where the receiver looks a bit more like the Model 3s:

And for reference, a picture of the Model 3 frunk receiver: