Autopark - What's your experience like?

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

timtesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had my model 3 for a month and a half now, just curious what everyone's experience is like with auto park feature.

For me, most of the time it doesn't recognize a spot. I've had more luck getting it to recognize the spot if I angle the car before hand, so it only has to reverse in. It also doesn't read the lines super well.

This morning it parked over a freshly painted, bright yellow line, within a few inches of the car that was actually in that spot. I hit the brake and redid it myself, I wouldn't have been able to open my door. Cool feature, but it has not been super useful so far.

Anyone else have better luck than me? Any tips for getting it to work properly?

Derik

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My luck has been hit and miss with it.

It only likes to find the spots between two parked cars, and normally that isn't where I want to park anyway. It also seems to miss plenty of open spots. I have had it show me the blue P a few times when I'm sitting in the middle of traffic, so I'm not exactly sure what it's criteria are for a good parking spot.

It's pretty amazing on how well it parks, but it is pretty slow if you ask me. I normally can find the spot, back up, adjust if needed, and get out before it would have finished it's first set of backing up, assuming it needs to adjust.

Haven't used the parallel park feature yet, but that is mainly because where I live no one really parallel parks.

timtesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's pretty amazing on how well it parks, but it is pretty slow if you ask me.
I agree with that. I've turned it off a couple times because I was blocking people behind me and wanted to finish parking faster. Very safe, but not very polite. Lol

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very accurate every time I've used.
Too slow to use when other cars are around. May take extra back-and-forths to get perfect.
As for the recognition, drive slow, keep some separation from the line of cars, pass the spot completely + 1 car. You drive further past the spot than you think.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, too slow for me...a few times people honk me for being too slow in auto park. I wish it is humanly fast like we all do reverse park. Hopefully future update will address that but I can deal without it for now...

Milo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Perpendicular is fun, but too slow and I rarely use it. I don't get the opportunity to parallel often, but I find that to be quick and smooth, although I find that I have to drive further up than I'd like, and it can confuse other drivers.

Now, if only I could get summon to work in my garage...

Model 3, 2018.24.7

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I find it to be a party trick more than anything. When it works, it's painfully slow. More importantly it doesn't handle my preferred parking which is corner spots only.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So you are saying it's the same thing as summon? (Still stuck on 21.9)
Summon may be a party trick as well but some practical application...

1) In and out of tight space with no chance of opening the door

2) Parked car, pouring ran causes a flood, can’t get in the car — pull it forward!

3) Summon race! Oh wait that’s a party trick :cool::D:p:eek:

Beagle

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Parallel is the only parking I have tried. It misses a lot of acceptable spots, and I have to stop it about half of the time as there was no way it could complete the second part of the turn without hitting the curb. Of course it might have stopped on its own, but it was backing into the curb at an angle that was beyond possible.

rareohs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Summon may be a party trick as well but some practical application...

1) In and out of tight space with no chance of opening the door

2) Parked car, pouring ran causes a flood, can’t get in the car — pull it forward!

3) Summon race! Oh wait that’s a party trick :cool::D:p:eek:
Posted a vid of successful summoning to my Instagram yesterday with the caption:

Tesla Summon: kind of creepy, mostly useless, and completely awesome

;)

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Autopark works only between two cars with an open spot in between. Not that practical. But then again, if two adjacent spots are open, any of us should be able to pull in quickly.

Where I live, parallel parking isn't too common anyway. It's all shopping centers and public parking.

RIP_OPEC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had my model 3 for a month and a half now, just curious what everyone's experience is like with auto park feature.

For me, most of the time it doesn't recognize a spot. I've had more luck getting it to recognize the spot if I angle the car before hand, so it only has to reverse in. It also doesn't read the lines super well.

This morning it parked over a freshly painted, bright yellow line, within a few inches of the car that was actually in that spot. I hit the brake and redid it myself, I wouldn't have been able to open my door. Cool feature, but it has not been super useful so far.

Would not recommend autopark at the moment, as I've read many horror stories of it failing and hitting an adjacent vehicle or scraping a curb. I'd say wait until Tesla irons out the bugs.

ZaelFaroe

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've used the parallel park successfully a few times, and think it's cool. I've tried auto parking by backing in twice, and both times stopped it because it looked from the rear view camera like I would hit the adjacent vehicle. Really wish that one worked better, but at the moment I just don't trust it.

Sumiguchi

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, too slow for me...a few times people honk me for being too slow in auto park. I wish it is humanly fast like we all do reverse park. Hopefully future update will address that but I can deal without it for now...
I do this when I get honked at - like I also wonder whats taking so long!

I don't think I've figured out how best to get into a spot to best detect the parking spot, but whe it detects it, it's always parked perfectly in parallel and perp parking spots - albeit slowly as mentioned.

Last edited:
Country
Country
I'm on the 26.3 release now and notice that it wanted to autopark as i was backing into a spot next to a curb (curb on one side, parked car on the other). I thought that it needed a car on both sides. Also, even though I didn't engage autopark, it was showing an outline of the spot and where my car was in the spot as I backed in.

Has anyone else seen this? I'll try to grab a picture next time this happens.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I have used auto park ,both perpendicular and parallel, with no problems. I must say the first 3 times using perpendicular it seemed so close I braked. Later when I found more guts I did it and many times using both since. I do it for fun now mostly when people are watching cause I raise my hands high! LOL

Sumiguchi

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm on the 26.3 release now and notice that it wanted to autopark as i was backing into a spot next to a curb (curb on one side, parked car on the other). I thought that it needed a car on both sides. Also, even though I didn't engage autopark, it was showing an outline of the spot and where my car was in the spot as I backed in.

Has anyone else seen this? I'll try to grab a picture next time this happens.
Yup - I have auto-parked into a spot between a car and a curb.

coredumperror

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've used the perpendicular auto-park numerous times, and never had an issue. In fact, I had previously never backed into a perpendicular space in my entire life, so watching the auto-park actually taught me how to do it on those few places where there isn't a single space between two cars, and I have to do it myself.

Haven't used the parallel auto-park, though.