Autopilot on suburban streets.

Discussion in 'Tesla Experiences' started by SimonMatthews, Aug 25, 2018.

1. SimonMatthews

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Testing the free EAP trial, I started on our suburban streets. Approaching a parked car that was partially in the lane, I was not at all sure it would avoid it. I dragged on the steering wheel to take control. Scary.

Later, on another suburban street, it seemed to not be following a rightward bend -- again, I took control before it hit anything.

Should it work on suburban streets?

2. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    NO!!!!

Autopilot is currently meant to be used only on limited-access, divided highways.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. SimonMatthews

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    So why does it turn on? The car knows what street it is on.

4. Sealander

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Right out of the Model 3 owners manual.

"Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death."

"Warning: Autosteer is not designed to, and will not, steer Model 3 around objects partially or completely in the driving lane. Always watch the road in front of you and stay prepared to take appropriate action. It is the driver's responsibility to be in control of Model 3 at all times."

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. SimonMatthews

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Manual? Who reads the manual?

It's just as well that I didn't trust it and I was watching carefully

• Like Like x 1
  6. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I think you’re kidding and I hope you’re kidding :)

Autopilot is a great feature, but if not used properly can be quite dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sealander

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I read the entire manual before my car was delivered, but I realize I am not normal. :cool: I would hope that they post those warning messages on the screen before autopilot could be activated. Imagine what may happen when Teslas with autopilot are rented through Turo or even a regular rental agency.

On our last car, a Cadillac STS, the navigation feature prevented most user input while driving and I was required to acknowledge warnings every time I got in the car (even after owning it for 10 years) that it was dangerous to drive while using the touch screen before navigation could even be turned on.

8. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Because you told the car to turn it on.
    o_O

You're attributing a LOT more intelligence and knowledge to your car than it has any hope of meeting.

Autopilot is just fancy cruise control. It's speed-adaptive cruise control with steering added. Don't treat it as anything more than that.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. NancyManzoPants

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I have used the auto steer when changing lanes (starting with being on highway and engaging turn signal) but once turn signal is off the car doesn’t seem to correct and stay in lane. Still getting the hang of it

10. babula

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    In my experience, it works decently on suburban streets (depending on the quality of the lines), however you should be very alert. Where it really shines is on highways and in traffic. I drove home from a friend's house at night today (short trip, around 45 miles) and it was incredible. I had to take over for a few seconds at one point but besides that it drove the entire time and took the off ramp smoothly when exiting the highway.

Model 3 Owners Club © 2018. All rights reserved.
Model 3 Owners Club (M3OC) is an enthusiast club and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or the Tesla Motors Club Forum (TMC).
All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.