Autopilot vs. Lane Keep assist

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I am a Model 3 wait lister and I currently have a Chrysler 200 with the safety package that includes adaptive cruise control ACC and lane keep assist. I particularly like both of these features for my commute. I use the ACC on the freeway almost always and the lane keep is always on. I like it because I am still driving the car but it keeps me from drifting if I get distracted. Also, the lane keep is always working, even if I am not using the ACC. I’m wondering how this will compare to autopilot. My understanding of AP is that it doesn’t lane keep unless the ACC is on also and it is doing all of the driving. I realize that it has lane departure warning but I think all ICE cars have their features work like mine. Anyone else want the car to keep you in the lane even if you are not using autopilot?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am a Model 3 wait lister and I currently have a Chrysler 200 with the safety package that includes adaptive cruise control ACC and lane keep assist. I particularly like both of these features for my commute. I use the ACC on the freeway almost always and the lane keep is always on. I like it because I am still driving the car but it keeps me from drifting if I get distracted. Also, the lane keep is always working, even if I am not using the ACC. I’m wondering how this will compare to autopilot. My understanding of AP is that it doesn’t lane keep unless the ACC is on also and it is doing all of the driving. I realize that it has lane departure warning but I think all ICE cars have their features work like mine. Anyone else want the car to keep you in the lane even if you are not using autopilot?
The car has lane departure warning which vibrates the steering wheel as you begin to depart your lane without the turn signal on.

Beyond that, lane keep only happens with autopilot engaged.

TACC will handle speed, but won’t keep the lane.

Rich Nuth

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I'm not sure of the value of "Lane Keep" if you have EAP. Why would anybody want to have the car gently correct itself if it gets too close to the lane edge if you can have the car keep itself centered in the lane? "Lane Keep" seems to be a half-way point between lane departure warning and EAP. The availability of EAP kind of makes "Lane Keep" obsolete.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I'm not sure of the value of "Lane Keep" if you have EAP. Why would anybody want to have the car gently correct itself if it gets too close to the lane edge if you can have the car keep itself centered in the lane? "Lane Keep" seems to be a half-way point between lane departure warning and EAP. The availability of EAP kind of makes "Lane Keep" obsolete.
Not sure if you have ever experienced lane keep but it is working all of the time, not just when you decide you want the car to drive. Do you enjoy driving your car? I know I do and will enjoy driving my model 3 even more. There is no protection in the Tesla unless I enable it and therefore hand over the driving to it as well. Lane keep enables me to still manage the accelerator and the steering while making sure I do not drift into another lane accidentally if I get distracted.

Rich Nuth

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Ok, I just don’t think I would want this in-between solution. I would rather steer and let the car hold speed than let the car steer while I control the speed. Just my personal preference.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, I just don’t think I would want this in-between solution. I would rather steer and let the car hold speed than let the car steer while I control the speed. Just my personal preference.
I'm not sure I follow what is the in between solution?

The car offers 2 things:
  1. TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control). You steer and the car manages speed against the car in front of you.
  2. EAP (Enhanced Autopilot). You sit back and enjoy the scenery while the car maintains the center of the lane and manages speed against the car in front of you.
There is no option to let the car maintain the lane while you handle speed. I should technically at least. When you're in autopilot you can stomp on the accelerator and the car would continue to hold the lane for you.

Rich Nuth

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
SoFlaModel3: I was talking about the "Lane Keep" function that was the start of this chain. MOD3L3ROB3RT and I were just having a bit of discussion is all.

I never intended you to get the impression that I thought a Telsa had anything other than TACC and EAP. I agree that the TACC vs EAP is a simple choice, and that I like the EAP Tesla solution and not the "Lane Keep" Chrysler solution.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
SoFlaModel3: I was talking about the "Lane Keep" function that was the start of this chain. MOD3L3ROB3RT and I were just having a bit of discussion is all.

I never intended you to get the impression that I thought a Telsa had anything other than TACC and EAP. I agree that the TACC vs EAP is a simple choice, and that I like the EAP Tesla solution and not the "Lane Keep" Chrysler solution.
Oh sorry no I misunderstood. Just didn’t want you to think there was a feature on the car that really wasn’t there.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I'm not sure I follow what is the in between solution?

The car offers 2 things:
  1. TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control). You steer and the car manages speed against the car in front of you.
  2. EAP (Enhanced Autopilot). You sit back and enjoy the scenery while the car maintains the center of the lane and manages speed against the car in front of you.
There is no option to let the car maintain the lane while you handle speed. I should technically at least. When you're in autopilot you can stomp on the accelerator and the car would continue to hold the lane for you.
I am not sure you all understand what my point is...I absolutely love the TACC solution. I have it in my current car and use it all of the time on the freeway. I also love the autopilot feature on Tesla cars and it is one of the biggest reasons I am buying one. My point is that Tesla has a “lane departure warning” and that is great but by the time it alerts you that you have departed the lane it may be too late. I tried it out many times last weekend on my In-Law’s MX. It isn’t really reliable at all. “Lane keep” on an ICE car lets you drive but makes sure you don’t leave the lane. There are settings for quick intervention or relaxed intervention. It works whether you are on TACC or not. It works on regular streets at speeds over 35 and is always protecting me. I love to drive but it is evident when I switch over to my wife’s Durango that I sometimes “lane wander” because her car does not have lane keep. On a Tesla you have to allow the car to control speed and steering for that protection. I certainly realize that isn’t a big deal to a lot of people but if you have ever had the feature you know it is pretty great. At least it is to me. Tesla obviously has the power to provide this based on their advancements in autonomous driving. Maybe I am the only one that thinks this way. If so, that is ok. I guess I’m glad no one has told me that I’m not right for Tesla yet in this thread...that is something right?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am not sure you all understand what my point is...I absolutely love the TACC solution. I have it in my current car and use it all of the time on the freeway. I also love the autopilot feature on Tesla cars and it is one of the biggest reasons I am buying one. My point is that Tesla has a “lane departure warning” and that is great but by the time it alerts you that you have departed the lane it may be too late. I tried it out many times last weekend on my In-Law’s MX. It isn’t really reliable at all. “Lane keep” on an ICE car lets you drive but makes sure you don’t leave the lane. There are settings for quick intervention or relaxed intervention. It works whether you are on TACC or not. It works on regular streets at speeds over 35 and is always protecting me. I love to drive but it is evident when I switch over to my wife’s Durango that I sometimes “lane wander” because her car does not have lane keep. On a Tesla you have to allow the car to control speed and steering for that protection. I certainly realize that isn’t a big deal to a lot of people but if you have ever had the feature you know it is pretty great. At least it is to me. Tesla obviously has the power to provide this based on their advancements in autonomous driving. Maybe I am the only one that thinks this way. If so, that is ok. I guess I’m glad no one has told me that I’m not right for Tesla yet in this thread...that is something right?
I see what you’re saying. You want to “drive” but you want lane keep as a safety net where as with the Tesla the only way you get lane keep is by basically letting the car drive itself.

That makes sense.

I have no experience in cars with lane keep as a stand alone feature.

I will say so far in my experience the lane departure warning generally works well. I don’t drift much while driving but it usually hits me while I’m hovering on or near the lane line.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I see what you’re saying. You want to “drive” but you want lane keep as a safety net where as with the Tesla the only way you get lane keep is by basically letting the car drive itself.

That makes sense.

I have no experience in cars with lane keep as a stand alone feature.

I will say so far in my experience the lane departure warning generally works well. I don’t drift much while driving but it usually hits me while I’m hovering on or near the lane line.
@ SoFlaModel3 Thanks. Hopefully lane departure warning works better on the 3 than the X.

MrMatt

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am a Model 3 wait lister and I currently have a Chrysler 200 with the safety package that includes adaptive cruise control ACC and lane keep assist. I particularly like both of these features for my commute.
Funny, I just moved from a loaded 2015 Chrysler 200 to a M3 a few days ago and was thinking the same thing. I actually think I observed several bugs in the Land Keep (I thought it wasnt sposed to buzz me when my signal was on?) so after a 20min ride on the highway, i turned it off. I agree that vibrating is way less useful than nudging me back in the lane. And i expected to see some visual indicator on my touchscreen when the car was on the lane line, but i didnt. I'll explore it again if there's an update adding a new feature(s).

Love the M3 over the 200 tho!!