Back Windshield Shade for Baby

ATLEV

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone have a good solution/sunshade to protect a baby in a rear facing child seat from the sun. Because the rear facing window stretches ove the back seat it seems like my kid is always in the sun. We have a couple of sunshades with suction cups from amazon that are ok, but not great. I’m looking for a better/more elegant solution (the one on Tesla’s website does not fit the back windshield). I’m sure once we can turn the seat around we’ll be okay, but it’s a challenge right now.

Any ideas?

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Does anyone have a good solution/sunshade to protect a baby in a rear facing child seat from the sun. Because the rear facing window stretches ove the back seat it seems like my kid is always in the sun. We have a couple of sunshades with suction cups from amazon that are ok, but not great. I’m looking for a better/more elegant solution (the one on Tesla’s website does not fit the back windshield). I’m sure once we can turn the seat around we’ll be okay, but it’s a challenge right now.

Any ideas?
I don't think it's needed. The glass is well coated and blocks 80% of infrared and 100% of UV. As long as the car interior is a safe temperature, you shouldn't need additional protection.

Amit

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
ATLEV, I have the exact same question. Were you able to find anything good that works? I'd like to block the sun from the roof as well as the sides.

PNWmisty, it's not about UV, it's about blocking the bright sun which doesn't let the kid sleep, and even otherwise bothers him.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
sun shades with suction cups will block visible light. Available lots of places.
ATLEV, I have the exact same question. Were you able to find anything good that works? I'd like to block the sun from the roof as well as the sides.

PNWmisty, it's not about UV, it's about blocking the bright sun which doesn't let the kid sleep, and even otherwise bothers him.
The light is pretty subdued once it goes through the tinted glass but, if you need more shade, sun shades with suction cups will block visible light. Available lots of places.

Rhyno

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had this problem until I Ceramic tinted the back window which helped but pricey, the suctions worked ok but as you probably are encountering as the sun shifts given the bigger window sun leaks from angles etc.. another solution we pondered is using the rain cover for our stroller which didnt fit perfect, but there may be a similar solution to cover the car seat when baby sleeping with something breathable, rather than trying to cover the window itself..

PNWMisty, for one OP wasn't asking for your opinion whether it was an issue, it was clearly an issue to not only them, but ATLEV and myself (at one point) .. if you aren't being helpful why post? OP was not asking for peoples opinions, they stated theirs and asked for solutions... Second, OP said they tried the amazon suction cups, if you weren't so focused on rebutting you may have saw that,and Third, you live in washington, you sure you know what bright sun looks/feels like? It's 64 right now for you and feels like 105 for me and probably 100+ for atlanta (OP) .... move on please...but thanks for bumping this post so I could find it

CuriousGeorge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One thing i have tried since i dont have tint yet is those old collapseable windshield shades, the are light, super thin, and wedges in between the headliner and the glass, works for me in the LA summer.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
PNWMisty, for one OP wasn't asking for your opinion whether it was an issue, it was clearly an issue to not only them, but ATLEV and myself (at one point) .. if you aren't being helpful why post?
I often provide unsolicited opinions if I think they will be helpful. And in this case the original poster clearly asked for other opinions. If you don't want to read my input, just skip over it. No one designated you as the "answer cop" and I clearly didn't ask for your opinion. So you are breaking your own self-imposed rule.

Got irony?

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
One thing i have tried since i dont have tint yet is those old collapseable windshield shades, the are light, super thin, and wedges in between the headliner and the glass, works for me in the LA summer.
Yes, I've used those in the Desert Southwest and throughout Mexico, they were a real godsend. But that was in a car without the excellent IR screening of the Model 3.

mishakim

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Are you talking about an infant bucket seat, or a convertible car seat that will eventually be turned around? For infant bucket seats, it may be easier to cover the seat than to block the window. Our second child's infant seat (Nuna Pippa) had a built-in shade, that stretched from the upper canopy to the feet. Assuming you don't have that, there are aftermarket shades, meant for use on strollers really, that go over the child seat entirely - we had one from UppaBaby for use with our Chicco Keyfit seat. They work fine in a car, in terms of shade, but they complicate reaching the child while driving

cself

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know this is an old thread, but FYI - a shade for the rear glass roof just went live yesterday on Tesla’s site for $90.

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you click "Select" and then "Rear" from the drop-down menu? (The product page for the sunshade defaults to "Front")
Hah, thanks! I just assumed it was only the rear due to the image, but the rear is available as you state.

Hard to tell from the image, but it looks like it goes all the way down. Not sure about visibility out the rear window then...

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Hah, thanks! I just assumed it was only the rear due to the image, but the rear is available as you state.

Hard to tell from the image, but it looks like it goes all the way down. Not sure about visibility out the rear window then...
The design of the screen is that you can see through it. It's not like you need to see in full 8K Technicolor to drive safely.

Three Pixel

Country
Country
I ordered the rear screen since we have a rear facing kid and I figured it'd look better than trying to use the static cling ones we use for the side windows. It's already shipped, so maybe I can report back soon.

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The design of the screen is that you can see through it. It's not like you need to see in full 8K Technicolor to drive safely.
I have the roof shade already. You can see through it looking straight up, but not so well at an angle. That was my concern. Guess I'll get my hands on one and see what it's like.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I have the roof shade already. You can see through it looking straight up, but not so well at an angle. That was my concern. Guess I'll get my hands on one and see what it's like.
That's a good point that I hadn't thought of (the flat angle). Let us know how the visibility is.

Three Pixel

Country
Country
Ok, got the rear shade on Tuesday, and finally remembered to stop and take a couple photos today. It does cut some visibility out the back that I don't think the photo properly shows. It's more than I'd like but it also hasn't been a problem. I would say it lowers the head room a tad since the shade doesn't curve completely to the window. But as you can see with two car seats back there it shouldn't be an issue for me.

IMG_0398.jpg IMG_0400.jpg

Here's a shot of the rearview mirror to see how it reflects through.
IMG_0401.jpg

And a shot comparing it to the middle glass.
IMG_0403.jpg

Hope that helps anybody who was considering it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got mine and installed it as well. By any chance is yours not as smooth as you like? The passenger area near the bottom (ie near the trunk) has the ripple/wavy effect due to possibly a little bit oversized and distorted when in place?

Ok, got the rear shade on Tuesday, and finally remembered to stop and take a couple photos today. It does cut some visibility out the back that I don't think the photo properly shows. It's more than I'd like but it also hasn't been a problem. I would say it lowers the head room a tad since the shade doesn't curve completely to the window. But as you can see with two car seats back there it shouldn't be an issue for me.

View attachment 16572 View attachment 16573

Here's a shot of the rearview mirror to see how it reflects through.
View attachment 16574

And a shot comparing it to the middle glass.
View attachment 16575

Hope that helps anybody who was considering it.