1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Battery Option??

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Tsla_fefe33, Jul 29, 2017.

More threads by Tsla_fefe33
  1. Tsla_fefe33

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Keswick, Ontario
    Country
    If I going for the basic battery model, do I have the option to upgrade later on? Just like the S over the air upgrade?

2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    no. Elon has been asked that question in the past and responded by saying the way to do that is to trade that vehicle in and purchase another with the battery needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Coral Springs, FL
      Country
      Given that the standard and long range battery cars have a substantive curb weight difference, I think that alone should confirm that the standard car is not using a software locked larger battery.

That means you buy the larger battery up front if you want it.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • relidtm

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Orlando
        Country
        I have a question about this is it really needed if the battery can go between supercharger a and b? I think I want the bigger battery but I am not seeing the point in some regard, for example, I work from home I never drive more than 80 miles a day typically most of the time its 3-4 miles, I do take maybe 4-6 road trips a year from what I have found on tesla ratios site I was able to theoretically get to all super chargers with no issues. So my question is beside peace of mind and a little faster charging is it worth it?

• garsh

Dis Member
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Pittsburgh PA
        Country
      • relidtm

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Orlando
        Country
        Yes this seems to talk more about cold weather ugh if it was 5k vs 9k this would be an easier decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Coral Springs, FL
          Country
          #7 SoFlaModel3, Jul 30, 2017
          Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
          I generally have the same opinion as you. I think range anxiety is overrated, but it's the single biggest hurdle to overcome. The ICE companies will say their cars go 400-500 miles and gas stations are everywhere, so they're fast and convenient.

Of course with an EV, outside of road trips you will charge at home 99% of the time and never be inconvenienced with stopping at all nor touching a dirty gas pump.

It's an education process.

So that said, why am I opting for the larger battery then if I too only drive 75 miles daily and take just a few road trips a year.

You will set the battery to use 80% (or so) of the maximum capacity on a daily basis, so your 220 mile range becomes 176 miles. I'm not going to say I'm an aggressive driver, but well I have a lead right foot. My current car has an EPA rated range of ~28 MPG for the driving mix that I do and my average MPG trends in the 21-22 MPG range. So let's say I get 75% of the rated range for the sake of argument. Apply that to our remaining range of 176 miles and now I'm down to 132 miles. Now I'm really sniffing my daily commute of 75 miles. What if I go out to a sporting event, concert, downtown for a dinner -- now I'm stressing and life with an EV is not as simple. Battery degradation isn't bad on a Tesla, but even slipping a little bit would just add to my nerves.

So for all of those reasons and better performance, resale, and quicker access to the car -- I will go with the long range vehicle!

• relidtm

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Orlando
          Country
          I'm tending to lean that way also. I agree with most of your points I also have a feeling I will be driving this far more as it's cheaper to operate it's also becoming the most expensive car I've ever bought maybe I Uber occasionally for extra money. But good point on the EPA numbers my car is supposed to get 24/29 I typically get 21 but also most of my driving is around town.

• Like Like x 2