Be cautious using Summon (BETA)

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

ateslik

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yesterday was not a good day. You may have seen images like this:

IMG_2054.jpeg

or this:

IMG_2052.jpeg

or even this, and thought that your car can detect obstacles and avoid them.

IMG_2051.jpeg

These features are not used by summon.

IMG_2048-1.jpeg

IMG_2056.jpeg

I'm embarrassed this happened. I feel stupid. But I think it's important to share my experience so that it doesn't happen to anyone else.

I park my car in a tight carport. When my car is in there I have less than a foot on either side of the car. The carport angles out at the end to allow the driver to exit the vehicle. About three weeks ago I got summon in an update, so I was happy to use it because it meant now my car hood would not poke out in the sun and I could exit in the driveway and just summon my car in and out as needed.

IMG_2057.jpeg

Yesterday I was standing behind the car to summon it out as normal. But this time it was later in the day than usual because it was a Saturday. This time the sun was cutting harshly across the driveway. I pushed the forward button and heard the whirr of the drive system engage. Since I was standing behind the car I didn't see the front wheel turn sharply though. And then the car lurched forward in a sharp turn directly into the wall.

IMG_2058.jpeg

the car travelled mabye two feet. I let off the forward button immediately, but it was too late.

IMG_2059.jpeg

I don't know why it decided to turn today when on other days it went straight, but this is definitely a problem. I went to the dealership and reported it yesterday morning, but I'm not sure the girl there knew how to escalate this as an issue. I got a rough quote from the Tesla official body shop in my area. They will sand the panels, get the dents out or cover them - the car is aluminum so the process is different than steel they said, and then paint it. They say it will look like new when they are done, and it will be about $2000. I'm pretty unhappy about that.

I'm more disturbed by the fact that this incredibly advanced car, which has a self driving system that is supposed to keep you safe at 55 Mph cannot avoid a stationary object when traveling at 1 Mph. I would have thought that given all the sensors, the many many sensors, there would be no way something like this could happen. Obstacle avoidance is literally one of the very first things taught in robotics, and yet this car will readily impact a stationary object without hesitation.

So please be careful out there. Summon does not use the sensors.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ouch - not pretty. Very sorry to see. Definitely in Beta and unfortunately I don't think uses the cameras yet. In fact, nothing is using the side cameras yet on the 3 I don't believe. Is is way too late to see this, yes, but we should only be hours or days from the next BETA software, version 9, which should start to include more of cameras in the car.

agastya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to see this happen.

We have small 1-2" lip at the entrance of the garage, and have seen the steering try to rotate (maybe try to get traction) almost everytime the car has been pulled forward into the garage, even at times when there is enough space on both sides.

The S never used to get over the lip - it used to keep trying and then just stop there at the lip. While the model 3 does, the way it gets over it doesn't truly inspire confidence.

Wish summon was just moving the car in front/reverse in straight lines.

ateslik

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't appreciate that the mods changed the title of this thread from "Summon is not safe" to a much softer "Be cautious using Summon (BETA)".

Summon is not safe. When a child or pet gets crushed by the vehicle turning unexpectantly that will be obvious. I have faith that Tesla will solve this, hopefully before that happens, but for now my title is fact not an opinion. Watering it down because it doesn't sound as nice among the faithful here is not right. We're not brand stewards or protectors, so I'd rather have uncensored straight dialogue about the realities of this vehicle and its functionality.

Turns out this turning thing is not a new issue, even though mine did stop when I took my finger off:

and I did all the things in the beta warning screen:

The only thing I could have done differently was stand in front of the vehicle to see the tires turn beforehand.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Your title was fud clickbait and the feature is in beta, requiring the user to be in complete control. By posting here, you agree to the terms of this site that permit moderators to correct titles to be useful

raptor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to hear about the damage, that's always painful to see.

Just out of curiosity (and to better understand summon behavior) ...

Did you change the settings so you don't have to keep pressing the button?

How was summon configured in the vehicle?

ateslik

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to hear about the damage, that's always painful to see.

Just out of curiosity (and to better understand summon behavior) ...

Did you change the settings so you don't have to keep pressing the button?

How was summon configured in the vehicle?
No, the setting to keep pressing the button is turned on. The operating distance setting is increased and the tight setting is turned on. It has to be to fit in that space.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Your title is tacit collusion.
We're moderating a forum for Model 3 owners. We often update/change titles for various reasons, from making them more clear, to removing "clickbait". Our goal is to make this site enjoyable to use by our members.
It's not possible to be in complete control of this feature and we should be honest about that.
We're glad that you're sharing your experience. We believe it's very useful and informative to do so. We just don't want clickbait or FUD in our titles. Please don't be offended.

ateslik

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We're moderating a forum for Model 3 owners. We often update/change titles for various reasons, from making them more clear, to removing "clickbait". Our goal is to make this site enjoyable to use by our members.

We're glad that you're sharing your experience. We believe it's very useful and informative to do so. We just don't want clickbait or FUD in our titles. Please don't be offended.
I understand and appreciate the time you guys spend keeping the site running smoothly. I can still be annoyed by it and disagree with it, but I'm not offended and appreciate the explanation.

Congrats on the new car btw - great name :)

sdbyrd79

Country
Country
Thanks ateslik for sharing your (sad) story using summon. The first few times I summoned mine in/out of my garage it "seemed" to be navigating around as needed, but the other day I had some items on both sides of the entrance and could tell it was not going to avoid them. I'll definitely be holding off using it when it's a close call until all of the sensors/cameras are in use.

AlohaBob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for posting. Very sorry to see this.

I back my car into the left side of a 2 car garage by hand. I have used summon to pull my car out of the garage 4 or 5 times. The first couple of times it came straight out and all was good. The time before last it turned the wheels a large amount (toward the center of the driveway; to the left if looking at the car from inside the garage) and moved forward and then turned the wheels back a bit. I wasn't quite sure why it did that and thought that maybe it was just retracing what I had done in backing the car into the garage. It left the car at about a 5 to 10 degree angle down the driveway. Fortunately no big deal because the driveway is empty

The last time I parked the car in the garage, I was careful to pull straight back with no wheel turns. When I summoned it, it did the exact same large wheel turn to the left to start and left the car at a 5 to 10 degree angle down the driveway. I'm not quite sure the algorithm it uses to summon the car. I was thinking that maybe it was doing the turn to avoid the garage door frame. Probably not from reading what others have to say. As the OP says, I would use Summon with a great deal of caution if you have a tight space.