1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Benefit of wifi?

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by Ryan Ballantyne, Jul 13, 2018 at 11:38 AM.

Tags:
  1. Ryan Ballantyne

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Hey guys,

I'm a new Model 3 owner (day 3 now), and have yet to connect my car to my home wifi. I'm unsure of the signal strength I would get in my garage (it's on the opposite side of the house from the router), and I know that it's poor in the driveway. I could fix this with different network gear, but I don't really want to mess with the network if I don't need to.

So I'm wondering, is there any benefit to connecting my car to wifi? I ordered before July 1st, so I should in theory be grandfathered in to free premium connectivity. Does wifi do anything above and beyond that?

Thanks!

2. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    In my case my garage has poor cell coverage but is well within range of my WiFi network.

We don’t know about the future — maybe updates are prioritized to WiFi, maybe very big updates only go over WiFi. It all remains to be seen...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ed Woodrick

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Seeing that no one could do it until a few weeks ago, it probably isn't a big deal yet. But you may want to sure that you have 4G while it is in the garage.
    That's how your updates will come.

4. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    that has been the case with the Ss/Xs

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tivoboy

Expand Collapse

Country
    Some of the software packages are probably going to be pretty big. Certainly the August update will be. I think that is why they have enabled this prior to then.

Also, if you use WIFI, it's not using the LTE connection that currently Tesla is paying for. I don't know if they are on a T&M basis or unlimited basis per car (they probably choose one for the whole company) but there is probably some marginal cost over time. Otherwise they probably wouldn't be nickel and diming new users are 1 year.

So, if on home WIFI, any update would download much more quickly and without any cost to Tesla (they already had WIFI enabled for service centers and mobile rangers) so why not just have the customer enable it at home.

I think it will also allow more direct integration with home automation systems (Alexa, Apple Home, Google, etc.) so one can easily say to Alexa "pre-cool my car or setup navigation to work", etc.

Also, the connection and integration will probably lower the impact of phantom drain on the car since it wouldn't have to make the LTE connection (which requires more power than WIFI) or it will probably enable the car to activate services in the house.

Imagine: Drive home, enter garage, recognize the WIFI bubble (which is much more geographically accurate than LTE and or GPS) and automatically unlock your August garage entry door, turn on the lights (via IFTT) or some other at location triggered events.

WIFI really serves to enable this much more than the LTE connection and GPS geolocation.

• Like Like x 3
  6. relidtm

Expand Collapse

Country
    Yea I agree since getting wifi I use my car about the same times everyday I have noticed much less battery loss half in fact sometimes it has the same range that I parked it with the day before. My mobile tech told me that the wifi connected cars ttha they get priority over the cellular connected cars this is also the case with the s/x so I'm not surprised by this at all. Welcome to the car that you will never buy anything different again .

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Kizzy

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    My house has zero AT&T reception so wifi would actually allow me to connect to my car via the app and receive updates while at home.

8. Sjohnson20

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I connected mine to wifi at home since the LTE signal was low. Seems to work better.

9. Ryan Ballantyne

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Ya’ll convinced me. I connected to WiFi, and the signal wasn’t as bad as I’d feared. Still not that good, but workable. And since I did that, I noticed the car responds to the app much faster than it used to. That alone is worth connecting to WiFi for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. GDN

GDN
    M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Glad the WiFi is working better than you thought. However, for anyone that needs better coverage or a home WiFi update I have been very happy with Orbi. I upgraded back in the spring because I had very poor coverage in the back yard by the pool and close to the garage. I knew I would need it for the car (and the recently replaced garage door opener.) it’s made a huge difference in my connectivity through the whole house.

Now I’m just waiting on 24.7, time to go sit out in front of the service center.

11. Guy Weathersby

Expand Collapse

Google WiFi also works great. Very easy to setup and very solid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I have been very happy with the Google Mesh setup and we have excellent coverage throughout our house as well as the front yard and backyard!

• Agree Agree x 1