BlackVue DR900S 4K Dashcam Announced

Hav77

At SEMA, BlackVue just introduced the first 4K dashcam!! The DR900S utilizes HEVC (h.265) compression to give comparable file sizes to 1080p video. This will not be replacing the DR750S but will be the flagship model. Will be released in early 2018 with pricing not available yet. It looks like we need to have another group dashcam purchase!!

Sandy

One obsession to the next
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Probably a bit of overkill for me. Very happy with the new 750.

Hav77

How so? You will be able to see license plates from quite a distance now!! With the DR750 you have to be right in front of the car to see the license plate.

2170pwr

Country
Country
I can't wait until this is released! I've avoided getting a Blackvue because of video quality (believe it or not there are cheaper dash cams with much better video quality than even the new DR750S). I was considering getting the Vicovation Opia 2 or VIOFO A119 (both are "2K") for this reason. Everyone should check out some youtube footage of these cams in order to see for themselves the advantage of UltraHD dash cam footage. Unfortunately, these cams have no wifi, poorly functioning parking modes, no rear cam, and are esthetically less appealing than Blackvue cams .

I am going to hold my judgment of the DR900S until it is release and image quality has been tested, but it looks promising (4K and high dynamic range but only 30FPS). It looks like it will be releases very soon (early 2018), almost certainly before most, if not all, of us receive our Model 3s.

I'm also interested in other's experiences with installing a REAR dash cam in the Model 3. I have my doubts that it can be done well. I still can't decide if the back window design will make it almost impossible to install a rear dash cam that has both a good view out the back window and is "out of the way". I am super interested in hearing how everyone installs their DR750s in their Model 3's. I hope people post their experiences on the forum.

Tom Bodera

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I got the DR490s and cannot read a single licence plate (even with the new Sony STARVIS, lol). Apparently this is normal but not what I expected fro $200. Video was the same quality as my $40 Chinese cam. Mounting and functionality on the 490 much better.

If you want image quality I think a Gopro hero 4 sessions at $200 is unmatched to any of the $600+ Dashacams in terms of quality.

2170pwr

Country
Country
I got the DR490s and cannot read a single licence plate (even with the new Sony STARVIS, lol). Apparently this is normal but not what I expected fro $200. Video was the same quality as my $40 Chinese cam. Mounting and functionality on the 490 much better.

If you want image quality I think a Gopro hero 4 sessions at $200 is unmatched to any of the $600+ Dashacams in terms of quality.
Gopro hero 4 sessions is great cam but when using it as a dashcam you have to do without a lot of features dashcams have: auto recording, gps, shock sensor for accidents, parking mode, and motion recording. Also, gopro's have batteries instead of capacitors. Batteries have some issues with prolonged use inside hot or very cold cars. Some would also say gopro's are more likely to be stolen, but that is debatable.

I take your point that dashcams are lagging behind "action cams" in image quality. Unfortunately, action cams aren't really ideal dashcams for most people.

Tom Bodera

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Gopro hero 4 sessions is great cam but when using it as a dashcam you have to do without a lot of features dashcams have: auto recording, gps, shock sensor for accidents, parking mode, and motion recording. Also, gopro's have batteries instead of capacitors. Batteries have some issues with prolonged use inside hot or very cold cars. Some would also say gopro's are more likely to be stolen, but that is debatable.

I take your point that dashcams are lagging behind "action cams" in image quality. Unfortunately, action cams aren't really ideal dashcams for most people.
You made excellent points and are well taken. I admit I did not think it through enough and approached it purely from a visual image quality perspective. My time lapse video on the gopro had image quality so much better than the Blackvue that i set my expectations too high on the 490s. I was at least hoping to be able to read liscence plates but no joy. Thanks for your input.

Attachments

Matthias Fritz

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
many hobby detectives here. what is the actual purpose of seeing a licence plate from ~15m away?

2170pwr

Country
Country
many hobby detectives here. what is the actual purpose of seeing a licence plate from ~15m away?
kind of the main point of dashcams. if you can't read the plate of the guy that drives by and knocks off your side mirror then why have a dashcam?

Matthias Fritz

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
just recorded this today on our companies parking lot with my DR750S-2CH. little bump only. camera was in parking mode.
*nobody was hurt*

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
The DR900S looks super impressive. Blackvue provided me some 4K sample clips to share with you if you guys'd like to take a look.

There's also some other features coming like HDR capabilities that are new for Blackvue and will also be coming to the DR900S. :)

Matthias Fritz

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
what i noticed today with my DR750S-2CH in the car is, that if the weather is bad and the windows are steamy there are spare spots around the cameras. that is because the dashcams get really warm during recording. so mostly all the time. maybe that would even melt ice on the windows where they look through.

Bryan@Peachstate Detail

M3OC Advertiser
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
So if I have the 650 2 ch in our MX, will the new 900 be plug and play?

Country
Country
I heard from Blackvue customer support and was informed DR900S will not be released for about 3 months. It is still in development.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I heard from Blackvue customer support and was informed DR900S will not be released for about 3 months. It is still in development.
Ugh. Guess I'll move my A119 V2 into the new car then. Not gonna go without a camera, but also not going to buy a 750 and then replace it in a few months.

Hav77

Blackboxmycar.com is now taking preorders ($60 off) on the BlackVue DR900S 4K dash cam in both 1 and 2 CH variants. The 2 CH uses the same rear camera found in the DR750S dash cam. So if you wanted to upgrade you just need to buy the 1 CH model. They say it’s to be released the end of April! Here are some new videos:

Hav77

Here is a nice video where at the end they clearly show the difference between the DR900S (4K@30 FPS) vs the DR750S (1080P@60 FPS).

Country
Country
Blackboxmycar.com is now taking preorders ($60 off) on the BlackVue DR900S 4K dash cam in both 1 and 2 CH variants. The 2 CH uses the same rear camera found in the DR750S dash cam. So if you wanted to upgrade you just need to buy the 1 CH model. They say it’s to be released the end of April! Here are some new videos:

I was informed by Chris with tech support from Blackvue in Seoul that if you have a rear camera you have to have a 2 channel front camera so you can plug in the power for the rear camera at the front camera. I purchased my DR7050-2 ch from this club last year during the group purchase. I just installed the DR750-2ch a few weeks ago after i took delivery of my Model 3.

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Here is a nice video where at the end they clearly show the difference between the DR900S (4K@30 FPS) vs the DR750S (1080P@60 FPS).
Wow, that's a big improvement over the DR750S! I'm impressed.

Blackboxmycar.com is now taking preorders ($60 off) on the BlackVue DR900S 4K dash cam in both 1 and 2 CH variants.
Nice. I've been eyeing this one for a while to replace my DR750S and was wondering how much it would cost. There's also a coupon code you can use (VORTEX20) to save another $20.

The rear camera is the same as the DR750S, but does anyone know if the wiring for the front camera of the DR900S will be the same too?