Blind spot mirrors / convex mirrors

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

Joaquin

Country
Country
Having read some complaints about blind spot visibility, and no blindspot active detection, I'm wondering how many of the owners have decided to add one of these tiny round blindspot mirrors in their Model 3...

Opinions? Any recommendation?

Phil Kulak

Country
Country
First off, Tesla needs to add blind spot monitoring. Even if only because every other new car has it as an option and people expect it.

That said... you don't need it if you just adjust your damn mirrors properly:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

And with driver profiles, there's no excuse not to take a couple minutes and do it so you don't have a blind spot. No need for silly stick on bubbles.

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First off, Tesla needs to add blind spot monitoring. Even if only because every other new car has it as an option and people expect it.

That said... you don't need it if you just adjust your damn mirrors properly:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

And with driver profiles, there's no excuse not to take a couple minutes and do it so you don't have a blind spot. No need for silly stick on bubbles.

I completely agree but, unfortunately, the left Model 3 mirror doesn't seem to have the necessary range for the proper method. I'm working on finding the appropriate compromise but it won't be external mirrors. Being an old school driving instructor (coming from a 24 year old car), I still believe in the power of a swiveling neck and can do without more flashing lights and noises.

Phil Kulak

Country
Country
I completely agree but, unfortunately, the left Model 3 mirror doesn't seem to have the necessary range for the proper method. I'm working on finding the appropriate compromise but it won't be external mirrors. Being an old school driving instructor (coming from a 24 year old car), I still believe in the power of a swiveling neck and can do without more flashing lights and noises.
Oh, what a pain. You must be a bit taller than me. As a short guy, I can always adjust car mirrors exactly to my liking.

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh, what a pain. You must be a bit taller than me. As a short guy, I can always adjust car mirrors exactly to my liking.
Maybe. I'm 6'3" and the left mirror design does have it track back in when it's raised up. Guess it has to do with the angle necessary for the driver's view since the right one has far more range of motion despite the same housing size.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
I find myself somewhat annoyed by these little things that beep and flash at you.
Sorry car, but I know how to drive and don't need you flashing lights and beeping at me when you think I'm crossing a white line without indicating.
These "driver aids" are for those drivers who are too self involved or distracted to take responsibility for their actions.
Hopefully in the future we will have full self driving that takes over from a careless driver and locks them out of driving the car. Imagine the complaints if FSD prevented a careless driver from driving the car like AP does if you don't hold the wheel?
The screen could display warning like "Your driving is a danger to others, we are now taking over and driving you to your destination" - then the steering wheel disconnects - oh the possibilities :D

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am a big proponent for BSD being a major miss front Tesla, but I do have my mirrors properly adjusted.

I would never stick on a mirror on my mirror though ;)

Reid

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Yup, Model 3 mirrors are terrible. The size is fine (they're more than big enough). They just don't adjust out far enough. And I'm short (okay, average; 5'10" but with short legs)

I'm working on trying to figure out if the 3 and S mirror glass is the same both from a dimensional and mounting and wiring standpoint. They look identical which makes it promising.

If so, I'll try to source european mirror glass. The car needs an aspheric driver's mirror. Massive blind spots. I miss the euro mirrors from my last car. I'm not gluing on a $5 pep boys part that totally distorts your view.

marusan

Country
Country
I had a set of these for my VW (well, the version that fit my older one). I can't even begin to describe how nice they were.

https://www.shopdap.com/mk7-blind-spot-mirrors-5g0-857-521.html

No major change on the right side (aside from not having that silly "objects are closer" language printed on it), but on the driver's side, there was never any question about whether there was a car in my blind spot. If there was a car to the left of the line in the mirror, it was in the way. Period. Zero question about whether lane changes were safe, and you knew immediately.

I'm hoping someone will come out with these for the Model 3. This is one of my few annoyances with the car.

MountainPass

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm by the book with lane changes, and the head turn to check blind spot is completely useless in this car. I agree that considering all its innovations it should have some kind of blind spot assist. With all the cameras already equipped, it would be as simple as a software update.

itskv

Country
Country
There are mirrors that are convex to help with a wider angle of view, but that creates distortion to the view. I've had driver side mirrors replaced with partial convex (Seems to be pretty popular/standard in European countries) mirror glass in my old VW GTI. It helps a lot as the 1/4 of the mirror is convex which allows me to see my blindspots without turning the head.

I know you can contact some sellers on EU eBay and they can make these custom glass if you provide the measurements.

MountainPass

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I assume you are referring to the position and/or size of the B pillar? Of course, this is relative to where the seat position is adjusted to.
The C Pillar and tall rear headrests are the issues for me. I also like to sit at the lowest seat setting which may be an issue I am unwilling to resolve :p

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
coming from a car with horrible blindspots (when the top is up - great when it is down ;)), in the times Ive driven a Model 3, I thought its visibility out the back and with the mirrors was fantastic!
So do think perception of if the visibility is good or bad has more to do with what you are accustomed to.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I've been using those little convex mirrors on my Honda Pilot for years. Big believer in them. I laughed when I put them on as I thought of how I made fun of people who did. But dang it, if I don't use them every day and count how many times it's saved me. I do believe the vision is not that great with these mirrors and I have thought about putting some one because they work great. I was hoping that the new V9 would keep me from having to. Not sure. Ford had it right with their blind spot system with the little yellow light. That worked great. Sold that car for the M#. Only time will tell with the Tesla. But as for the little mirrors, Dorky, yes, but if dorky is wrong, I don't wanna be right! :)