Blind spot mirrors?

Joaquin

Country
Country
Having read some complaints about blind spot visibility, and no blindspot active detection, I'm wondering how many of the owners have decided to add one of these tiny round blindspot mirrors in their Model 3...

Opinions? Any recommendation?

Phil Kulak

Country
Country
First off, Tesla needs to add blind spot monitoring. Even if only because every other new car has it as an option and people expect it.

That said... you don't need it if you just adjust your damn mirrors properly:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

And with driver profiles, there's no excuse not to take a couple minutes and do it so you don't have a blind spot. No need for silly stick on bubbles.

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First off, Tesla needs to add blind spot monitoring. Even if only because every other new car has it as an option and people expect it.

That said... you don't need it if you just adjust your damn mirrors properly:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

And with driver profiles, there's no excuse not to take a couple minutes and do it so you don't have a blind spot. No need for silly stick on bubbles.

I completely agree but, unfortunately, the left Model 3 mirror doesn't seem to have the necessary range for the proper method. I'm working on finding the appropriate compromise but it won't be external mirrors. Being an old school driving instructor (coming from a 24 year old car), I still believe in the power of a swiveling neck and can do without more flashing lights and noises.

Asnpcwiz

Country
Country
A lot of cars now use side mirrors and display an image on the screen instead. If Honda can do it, my Model 3 should too!

Phil Kulak

Country
Country
I completely agree but, unfortunately, the left Model 3 mirror doesn't seem to have the necessary range for the proper method. I'm working on finding the appropriate compromise but it won't be external mirrors. Being an old school driving instructor (coming from a 24 year old car), I still believe in the power of a swiveling neck and can do without more flashing lights and noises.
Oh, what a pain. You must be a bit taller than me. As a short guy, I can always adjust car mirrors exactly to my liking.

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh, what a pain. You must be a bit taller than me. As a short guy, I can always adjust car mirrors exactly to my liking.
Maybe. I'm 6'3" and the left mirror design does have it track back in when it's raised up. Guess it has to do with the angle necessary for the driver's view since the right one has far more range of motion despite the same housing size.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
I find myself somewhat annoyed by these little things that beep and flash at you.
Sorry car, but I know how to drive and don't need you flashing lights and beeping at me when you think I'm crossing a white line without indicating.
These "driver aids" are for those drivers who are too self involved or distracted to take responsibility for their actions.
Hopefully in the future we will have full self driving that takes over from a careless driver and locks them out of driving the car. Imagine the complaints if FSD prevented a careless driver from driving the car like AP does if you don't hold the wheel?
The screen could display warning like "Your driving is a danger to others, we are now taking over and driving you to your destination" - then the steering wheel disconnects - oh the possibilities :D

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am a big proponent for BSD being a major miss front Tesla, but I do have my mirrors properly adjusted.

I would never stick on a mirror on my mirror though ;)

Reid

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Yup, Model 3 mirrors are terrible. The size is fine (they're more than big enough). They just don't adjust out far enough. And I'm short (okay, average; 5'10" but with short legs)

I'm working on trying to figure out if the 3 and S mirror glass is the same both from a dimensional and mounting and wiring standpoint. They look identical which makes it promising.

If so, I'll try to source european mirror glass. The car needs an aspheric driver's mirror. Massive blind spots. I miss the euro mirrors from my last car. I'm not gluing on a $5 pep boys part that totally distorts your view.

marusan

Country
Country
I had a set of these for my VW (well, the version that fit my older one). I can't even begin to describe how nice they were.

https://www.shopdap.com/mk7-blind-spot-mirrors-5g0-857-521.html

No major change on the right side (aside from not having that silly "objects are closer" language printed on it), but on the driver's side, there was never any question about whether there was a car in my blind spot. If there was a car to the left of the line in the mirror, it was in the way. Period. Zero question about whether lane changes were safe, and you knew immediately.

I'm hoping someone will come out with these for the Model 3. This is one of my few annoyances with the car.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I disagree with that. I do agree the Model 3 is more sensitive to misadjusted mirrors than some cars and that most people don't know how to adjust or use mirrors properly, but when they are properly adjusted and used you shouldn't be getting ANY close calls!

Last edited by a moderator:

MountainPass

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm by the book with lane changes, and the head turn to check blind spot is completely useless in this car. I agree that considering all its innovations it should have some kind of blind spot assist. With all the cameras already equipped, it would be as simple as a software update.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I'm by the book with lane changes, and the head turn to check blind spot is completely useless in this car.
I assume you are referring to the position and/or size of the B pillar? Of course, this is relative to where the seat position is adjusted to.

itskv

Country
Country
There are mirrors that are convex to help with a wider angle of view, but that creates distortion to the view. I've had driver side mirrors replaced with partial convex (Seems to be pretty popular/standard in European countries) mirror glass in my old VW GTI. It helps a lot as the 1/4 of the mirror is convex which allows me to see my blindspots without turning the head.

I know you can contact some sellers on EU eBay and they can make these custom glass if you provide the measurements.

MountainPass

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I assume you are referring to the position and/or size of the B pillar? Of course, this is relative to where the seat position is adjusted to.
The C Pillar and tall rear headrests are the issues for me. I also like to sit at the lowest seat setting which may be an issue I am unwilling to resolve :p

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
coming from a car with horrible blindspots (when the top is up - great when it is down ;)), in the times Ive driven a Model 3, I thought its visibility out the back and with the mirrors was fantastic!
So do think perception of if the visibility is good or bad has more to do with what you are accustomed to.

Unplugged

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
... most people don't know how to adjust or use mirrors properly, but when they are properly adjusted and used you shouldn't be getting ANY close calls!
I'm really getting tired of this refrain that somehow, after driving cars and trucks of ALL types for the last 48 friggin' years that I somehow have lost (or never had) the ability to adjust my left side mirror. This really is the height of smug superiority.

The Model 3 left side mirror lacks the necessary adjustment for ME not to have a blind spot. Just because it works for YOU, doesn't mean that everyone else is incompetent.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I'm really getting tired of this refrain that somehow, after driving cars and trucks of ALL types for the last 48 friggin' years that I somehow have lost (or never had) the ability to adjust my left side mirror. This really is the height of smug superiority.
I'm not speaking to your ability to adjust your mirror, I'm saying most people do it wrong and/or were never properly instructed. There is no reason to make this personal.

The Model 3 left side mirror lacks the necessary adjustment for ME not to have a blind spot. Just because it works for YOU, doesn't mean that everyone else is incompetent.
All vehicles have a blind spot! That is the reason a head check is taught in every driving school that ever existed as a mandatory procedure before changing lanes! The blind spot is well known and as a motorcyclist I see it manifest itself more often than a driver that only drives a wider 4-wheeled vehicle. I can't count the number of times cars have failed to check their blind spot before moving into my lane.

No matter how well adjusted your mirrors are, you still need to check your blind spot. Every vehicle I've ever driven has one, regardless of how the mirrors are adjusted. That's why it's called a "blind spot" and not a "mirror adjustment error spot".

I will repeat what I said earlier, anyone who is getting into a lot of "close calls" when changing lanes is doing it improperly. I've driven commercial trucks and panel vans without the benefit of side glass and each of the few close calls I've had in 40 years were due to my own negligence. And please don't take my comments personally!

Unplugged

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And please don't take my comments personally!
Not to belabor this, but you did state,

"most people don't know how to adjust or use mirrors properly, but when they are properly adjusted and used you shouldn't be getting ANY close calls!"

To summarize, you and others have suggested that if only the mirrors were properly adjusted, people wouldn't be having issues with the blind spot. But what I and others are stating is that this Model 3, in particular, creates a blind spot that the mirror adjustment will not remedy. I have owned cars ranging in size from a Corvette to a Land Cruiser, and I have not had difficulty with the mirror not being able to properly adjust. Until the Model 3.

And since I am joined by plenty of other people with either long legs, or long torsos, there is a problem with the Model 3 left mirror.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
To summarize, you and others have suggested that if only the mirrors were properly adjusted, people wouldn't be having issues with the blind spot.
No, I said all cars have a blind spot and a head check is the way to deal with it.

But what I and others are stating is that this Model 3, in particular, creates a blind spot that the mirror adjustment will not remedy.
Yes, that's normal and usual with all cars. That's why a head check is called for before changing lanes. The Model 3 is not unusual in this regard. On the other hand, If you are saying the mirror would work as expected but it runs out of travel in the direction you need, then maybe service should look at it, it might be misadjusted or need replacement.

And since I am joined by plenty of other people with either long legs, or long torsos, there is a problem with the Model 3 left mirror.
How tall are you? I'm 6-04" and have the seat far enough back that when I do a head check, I'm actually looking out the rear side window.