Blind spot mirrors?

Discussion in 'Customizing & Modifications' started by Joaquin, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Joaquin

Expand Collapse

Country
    Having read some complaints about blind spot visibility, and no blindspot active detection, I'm wondering how many of the owners have decided to add one of these tiny round blindspot mirrors in their Model 3...

Opinions? Any recommendation?

2. Phil Kulak

Expand Collapse

Country
    First off, Tesla needs to add blind spot monitoring. Even if only because every other new car has it as an option and people expect it.

That said... you don't need it if you just adjust your damn mirrors properly:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

And with driver profiles, there's no excuse not to take a couple minutes and do it so you don't have a blind spot. No need for silly stick on bubbles.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. skygraff

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country

I completely agree but, unfortunately, the left Model 3 mirror doesn't seem to have the necessary range for the proper method. I'm working on finding the appropriate compromise but it won't be external mirrors. Being an old school driving instructor (coming from a 24 year old car), I still believe in the power of a swiveling neck and can do without more flashing lights and noises.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Asnpcwiz

Expand Collapse

Country
    A lot of cars now use side mirrors and display an image on the screen instead. If Honda can do it, my Model 3 should too!

5. Phil Kulak

Expand Collapse

Country
    Oh, what a pain. You must be a bit taller than me. As a short guy, I can always adjust car mirrors exactly to my liking.

6. skygraff

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Maybe. I'm 6'3" and the left mirror design does have it track back in when it's raised up. Guess it has to do with the angle necessary for the driver's view since the right one has far more range of motion despite the same housing size.

7. Twiglett

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I find myself somewhat annoyed by these little things that beep and flash at you.
    Sorry car, but I know how to drive and don't need you flashing lights and beeping at me when you think I'm crossing a white line without indicating.
    These "driver aids" are for those drivers who are too self involved or distracted to take responsibility for their actions.
    Hopefully in the future we will have full self driving that takes over from a careless driver and locks them out of driving the car. Imagine the complaints if FSD prevented a careless driver from driving the car like AP does if you don't hold the wheel?
    The screen could display warning like "Your driving is a danger to others, we are now taking over and driving you to your destination" - then the steering wheel disconnects - oh the possibilities :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I am a big proponent for BSD being a major miss front Tesla, but I do have my mirrors properly adjusted.

I would never stick on a mirror on my mirror though ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Reid

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    Yup, Model 3 mirrors are terrible. The size is fine (they're more than big enough). They just don't adjust out far enough. And I'm short (okay, average; 5'10" but with short legs)

I'm working on trying to figure out if the 3 and S mirror glass is the same both from a dimensional and mounting and wiring standpoint. They look identical which makes it promising.

If so, I'll try to source european mirror glass. The car needs an aspheric driver's mirror. Massive blind spots. I miss the euro mirrors from my last car. I'm not gluing on a $5 pep boys part that totally distorts your view.