1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

BMW tries to attract Tesla Model 3 reservation holders in ridiculous new commercial

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Aug 6, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    besides the article remarks, I also found it funny when the BMW drives by, you hear it's engine vrooming by. they could have at least used their 14 electric miles to drive past - or let their ad agency not to add vroom noise to the sound track.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Paul Spiers

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Newmarket, Ontario
    Country
    They forgot to show the car pulling up to a gas pump to fill up after 14 PHEV miles. What a ridiculous attempt to lure Tesla reservation holders.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    If they want to lure us then somehow build a battery factory so they can make a lot of long range EVs and then make sure its done in 2017/2018.. yeah not happening.

• Like Like x 3
  5. WaitingForTesla

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country
    I'm close with people who are in advertising and one of the biggest jokes is big ad firms attempts at leveraging social or viral media. True to form this campaign features a hash-tag #WaitOrDrive If you search for it on twitter all the uses so far are ironic or negative tweets towards BMW. Full confession one of them is mine, it was hard to resist.

https://twitter.com/search?q=#waitordrive&src=typd

• Like Like x 2
  6. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    First, I'll say that I like BMWs, a lot. I've owned 3 of them over the years and they're great cars. However these tactics and their lack of a real effort in the EV space disappoints me.

I test drove the BMW i3 and I liked it but the lack of real range given the price they want for it ($55K in Canada) turns me off. Heck, I kind of like it's looks ;) However when you the Model 3 beside it or any of the potential competition it's no contest. Tesla wins on every count. Not to mention the Supercharger network.

For the next few years the rest of the industry is going to have a tough time shaking off the Model 3. BMW, Audi and Mercedes are certainly very aware of the car and what it can/will do to their business. I'm positive Tesla will decimate that market segment just like they did to the Model S segment in the US. Gonna be a lot of ulcers in the German boardrooms.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Paul Spiers

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Newmarket, Ontario
    Country
    Trev, the fact that the i3 is $10,000 more than a model 3, shows that BMW is not serious about the future of EVs. They, like most if not all the legacy car manufactors are only building compliance EVs. They wouldn't even bother if the regulators didn't insist. Now that the threat of the Model 3 is at their doorstep, they are desperate to lure M3 reservation holders.

All this is to say that your analysis is spot on:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I think the Model ☰ impact will go much further than just those low end luxury car lines from Europe that are roughly the size of the Model ☰. Personally, the only model of those three car makers that I've ever considered buying was a Z4. not at all comparable to the Model ☰.
    If not for the Tesla, and I needed to choose a new car, I would not be looking at the European cars. My preference is for 100% electric, but would not buy one I do not find attractive or one with only in city-range, which is every other EV out there besides Tesla. Leaving choices I'd be interested at very few hybrids or full ICE cars.

Point being, in my case, the Model ☰ is not taking away from BMW, Audi & MB but other car makers mid $-range stylish vehicles. Or more so, if not for the release of the Model ☰, I would not be buying a new car in the next couple years. So really just adding to Tesla's sales and not taking away from another's.

9. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I'm pretty sure the cost delta is due to the much higher battery and CFRP body manufacturing costs.

CFRP at the moment is only suitable to low volume cars and carries are higher cost so that's why they use it in the i3 series. Over time they should expand manufacturing and costs will come down.

While the i3 might indeed be a compliance car (everyone has one of those) the technology developed there is already making its way into their other cars and represents a good investment for them.

It's a shame though that the Germans are playing catch up to Tesla. That's something I expected the US car makers would do (and are) .

10. Badback

Valued Community Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I would consider a Leaf as an interim car while waiting for my ≡, if it weren't so damn ugly. I have vacuum cleaners that are better looking.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. SpdBug

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Spencer, ok
    And Tesla hasn't made a single commercial yet. Love it.

• Like Like x 2