1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Books and Hobbies

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by TrevP, Jan 17, 2017.

More threads by TrevP
  1. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Just wondering if anyone wants to share their likes about books and hobbies...

While I don't find myself with a lot of time to read physical books I really enjoy audio books and I have a decent collection of them.

My interests range from biographies, history, documentaries, SciFi and other other esoteric stuff out of the normal realm.

Here are some of my favourite audiobooks that I highly recommend:

The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge
    http://www.audible.com/pd/History/The-Great-Bridge-Audiobook/B0080JBGZQ/
    I've listened to this epic book no less than 5 times. If you love history and engineering in detail you MUST listen to this book!!

The Martian
    http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/The-Martian-Audiobook/B00B5HZGUG
    Seen the movie?? Read the book, it's way better. Science fact and a fun and witty story.

11-22-63 A Novel by Stephen King
    http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/11-22-63-Audiobook/B005UR3VFO
    What if you could back in time and prevent the assassination of JFK? Truly amazing read by Craig Wasson

Full Dark No Stars by Stephen King
    http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Full-Dark-No-Stars-Audiobook/B00487NTAO
    4 short stories read by the amazing Craig Wasson and Jessica Hecht

Elon Musk: Tesla SpaceX and the quest for a Fantastic Future
    http://www.audible.com/pd/Bios-Memoirs/Elon-Musk-Audiobook/B00UX8ODPM
    Biography on Elon Musk. Lots of stuff in here about Elon. He's not perfect by any stretch

Ken Burns: The War. An Intimate History 1941-1945
    http://www.audible.com/pd/History/The-War-Audiobook/B002V5J24C
    Nobody tells history like Ken Burns. I recommend the documentary but this book version is fantastic too

Band of Brothers: E Company 506th Regiment. 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest
    http://www.audible.com/pd/History/Band-of-Brothers-Audiobook/B007IKV2P2
    The amazing story of E Company in WWII.

That's about it for now, I might add more in the future depending on feedback. I have some more esoteric stuff but I don't want to turn anyone off at the moment. If you ask nicely I might share :)

Hobbies for me include: woodworking, traveling, collecting LEGO Creator Modular Series

• Like Like x 1
  2. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    I read the book. One of the best jokes was a print joke, so you probably missed it if you listened to the audio book. This is one of my favorite all time stories. And I agree - much better than the movie, and I *loved* the movie. It's a very quick, easy read too.
    I've read that book too. It was a pretty good read. I recommend it.

3. InElonWeTrust

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    CA
    Country
    Being you mentioned Band of Brothers which are all good by Stephen Ambrose, I'd strongly recommend "In Harm's Way" by Doug Stanton. I read this one twice and it was amazing. Happy reading....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Also more audiobooks while in the car than paper (or ebook) copies lately... but my favorites are mysteries in series, if it includes smart and/or kickass women it's an added plus ;) Authors include James Patterson, Victoria Thompson, Kathy Reichs, Lee Child, Charlaine Harris, Sue Grafton, Joanna Fluke, CJ Box, Mary Janice Davidson, TT Monday, Nevada Barr, Elizabeth Peters, Janet Evanovich, etc... some much light and funny while others are neither light or funny but still all good.

For hobbies - crafty things, mostly wooly fiber related.
    My newest hobby is I took a couple pottery classes a year or two ago and have gotten to the point where most of the coffee cups and bowls I use are ones I've made (and given away or donated a ton of ones I didn't like!).
    As a side income that started as a hobby, I'm a knitwear designer. I have about 3 dozen patterns that are sold online to knitters around the world with sales padding my Model ☰ savings account a little every day :)
    To go with the knitting, I also have a spinning wheel and small weaving loom and sew on occasion.
    My mother was able to pick up anything and be good at it, at least while interested or until the next new thing to master came along. my Dad is a craftsman of his own sort - he has a custom cabinet business and has been restoring antique cars from the ground up since I was in middle school. Between the two of them, some amount of ability/interest rubbed off on me (not so much on my sister haha).

and following my favorite baseball team with some football and a little hockey to round out the year.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Thanks, @TrevP , for this interesting diversion from our daily passionate exchange on Model ≡ and all things T≡SLA, as we wait for the next surprise big news out of Palo Alto!

As for me, I enjoy books on history (incl. factual or romanced versions), politics (incl. biographies) or (good) novels (e.g Patterson, Grisham, Clancy)...

As examples of the first category, I am a great fan of Margaret George's historical novels (romanced yet very well documented & reasonably close to history), e.g.

A) The Autobiography of Henry VIII

https://mobile.audible.com/pd/Ficti...III-Audiobook/B002V02P9Q/?ref=msw_pd_bsn_AN_1
    B) The Memoirs of Cleopatra
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0312...+cleopatra&dpPl=1&dpID=51i-t6z5WVL&ref=plSrch

Recommended reads (whether you like or support the person or not) in political biographies:

A) Known and Unknown - A Memoir by Donald Rumsfeld

B) It worked for me: in life and leadership by Gen. Colin Powell
    https://play.google.com/store/books...O1&gclid=CJqa5t_VytECFSN3MgodGrkAYg&gclsrc=ds

C) Dreams from my Father - Barack Obama

D) Living History and Hard Choices - Hillary Clinton

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1410...es+clinton&dpPl=1&dpID=51iDKkKWLgL&ref=plSrch

or even E) Going Rogue an American Life - Sarah Palin ... just so I don't get labelled as a 'liberal' :D
    https://mobile.audible.com/pd/Bios-...980&cvo_crid=167190413981&cvo_pid=41343718007

I read this one too & found it to be one of the most riveting page turner ever!!

Finally I would be remiss if I would not mention (if you truly like to read... for hours) the entire series by George C. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire, which inspired the one world renowned HBO series 'Game of Thrones', or GoT for the fans!! 5 books to-date, 2 or 3 to come in the next 5-10 years (by previous output standards... ;))
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_S...ved=0ahUKEwin0r3L0srRAhWJyoMKHZJ7CrIQ_B0IITAA

Hobbies, besides books & T≡SLA :)-)): movies, photography, writing poetry, bicycling & hiking, opera & classical music, traveling (have my bucket list for when I retire... :))

There you go...

• Like Like x 1
  6. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    Don't read as much as I should but do listen to audiobooks when we go on long roadtrips. Mostly memoirs from comedians as they're always entertaining. The only time I really read is when a new rock memoir comes out.

For hobbies I'm a learning guitarist. Played a bit over a year on and off but really committed early last year and have been playing daily every since. It's a huge challenge (especially as an adult, damn muscle memory is hard!) but its turned into a huge passion and the plus side is being a bit older I can afford to buy new guitars somewhat regularly to keep me motivated. Upto 12 right now.. need to sell a few!

• Like Like x 3
  7. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    After reading the Highlander series (which I really liked), I tried the GoT books. I think I got half way thru the second one and just couldn't get into the story.

8. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I can understand it... it takes some persistency and makes little sense to take the time to read the 5,500 pages (up to now) if you did not get hooked by the second book... In all honesty I almost gave up during the fourth. To be noted for those who don't know that the GoT script on HBO deviated from the books quite substantially as of Season 3... (Awaiting Season 7 this year...)

9. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    Highly recommend the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. STARZ has made a series based on the books. Requires patient reading and commitment (each book averages over 1000 pages and there are currently 8 books) but it is well worth it. Fantastic characters, great story line and lots of Scottish and American history from around the American Revolution.

Dan

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Great input, Dan! Sounds like excellent retirement reading... Can use all the advice I can get... ;)

11. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    First time I read through the series (I have now read the series 3 times...better every time!) I gave myself headaches from reading so much. Couldn't put it down. You really get drawn into the stories and the characters.

Dan

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Daliman

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mississauga
    Country
    My interests include reading, music, movies and travel. At the moment reading on e-reader most of the time. So simple to carry a variety of books. Sci fi (RA Heinlein is favourite and forsaw many tech and political trends, see the man who sold the moon and if this goes on). Also love the Martian, looking forward to his new book. Robert Sawyer great award winning Canadian sci fi author, his WWW trilogy is groundbreaking.

Love mystery starting as a boy with Holmes now Kathy Reichs, Sue Grafton, Louise Penny.

Historical novels that have been mentioned and Ken Follett Pillars of the Earth and the Century Trilogy. PG Woodhouse, Agatha Christie and Jane Austen.

Movies from classic screwball comedies, some like it hot, bringing up baby to sci fi, Serenity and Firefly series are favourites.

Barcelona, Budapest, Dubrovnik (whole coast of Croatia), Rome, Paris in the last 5 yrs. We have done several home exchanges, great way to travel and see the heart of a country. Want to do a Europe river cruise and Model 3 cross Canada trip the year I retire in 2018-19.

Thanks Trev for starting this thread. Nice to get to know all of you and plan some future reading.

Cheers Andrew

• Like Like x 2
  13. DavidQ

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Fredenbeck, Germany
    #13 DavidQ, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    I retired 5 years ago, but only moved up to Germany last year, so we could be close to our son and his family. The last 2 years has been pretty hectic with multiple trips between Geneva and here in order to purchase land, choose a house and have it built and move our furniture here, etc. etc. My interests are therefore evolving.

My wife (Avril) and I are Scottish Dancers and dance regularly, albeit only once or twice a week now (since the "local" groups are both about 1:45h away in opposite directions), whereas in the Geneva area we danced 2-3 times per week. We're also teachers so also enjoy trips to weekend courses, mainly in Europe (and I still include the UK as part of that!), the USA and Canada. Some we teach, others we just take part in. We also try to keep fit by going to the local gym 3-5 times per week.

When I retired Avril said I should do a project, not realising that I would take her at her word and decide to build a car, albeit a 3-wheeler based on Moto-Guzzi motorbike mechanicals. It's a kit from the UK, and luckily didn't need too much mechanical ability (since I have none), although I do worry a bit that she (called Bluebelle) might just disintegrate into her component parts as I'm driving along one day because I've done something stupid. However we've done over 20k kms in the 2.5 years since I managed to get her registered (which was a saga in itself, since I had to do it in the UK first, then France, and then Germany). We drive her a lot locally (she does restrict the amount of shopping we can do!), enjoy spontaneous trips of 3-4 hours exploring the local area, together with longer trips of up to a week 4-5 times per year, sometimes to meeting of other 3-wheelers. Since she has no roof she's a fine weather car so we tow her for longer trips - hence my need for my Model 3 to be able to do that. She's currently in the garage up on a stand while I work on her, getting her ready for Spring.

Other than that I love dabbling in technology, so have lots of toys in the new house (blinds and electrical sockets controllable from my iPhone and I'm working on getting the lights to be controlled from there as well), as well as vacuum cleaner and window cleaner robots. I wanted to get a robot for the lawn, but it's so small that it only takes me 15mins with my Lithium-Ion lawnmower, which shares it's battery with the hedge trimmer (which doesn't need it yet) and edge trimmer.

I don't read physical books as much as I used to, but have always been a fan of "hard" science fiction (e.g. Arthur C. Clarke, Larry Niven, Eric Frank Russell), historical naval novels such as Hornblower, and thrillers such as those by Tom Clancy. When I want to read something more serious I read science articles on the web (since I was a physicist) or biographies on e.g. Leonardo da Vinci, David Attenborough, Stephen Hawkings etc.

Our son has been trying to persuade us to get a Mobile Home, and we've tried renting one a couple of times, but we're still not convinced. What we have enjoyed is meeting up with them using Bluebelle when they've gone away in their caravan.

Apart from that, we're spending time reacquainting ourselves with northern Germany, which is where we met 40 years ago, but left for the USA in 1982. We're also having to work on our German which is very rusty!

OK, enough rambling. Thanks to @TrevP for starting this thread. I'm looking forwards to getting to know you all better and sharing the adventure and excitement of owning a Model 3!

David

• Like Like x 4
  14. Badback

Valued Community Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I retired at age 55, 18 years ago. The secret to successful retirement is to keep very busy.

I started with woodworking but had to give it up after a couple of years because my lungs did not like the dust.

I collect hobbies like boys collect marbles: photography (in a really big way), I collect cameras like a lint roller. All of my film cameras don't know how many I have) and some of the digital one, I bought in non working condition and fixed them myself. Acquired a full set of CNC machines in order to make camera parts. The camera hobby spun off into photomicrography (photos thru a microscope) and crystallography. The resulting microscope hobby led to Mycology (fungi and mushroom collecting), yes, I eat some of them.
    The CNC hobby led to lapidary (shaping and polishing rocks into jewelry for the Female. I do rough cut the rocks in the CNC mill.

I also have a machine shop in a heated space in the barn, a Bridgeport mill and a Claussen lathe. The shop includes welding equipment, metal cutting stuff and a 3D printer, with the attendant bells and whistles. I like to make things.

The wood shop in the basement morphed into a framing shop for my photographs.

I have made and programmed some robots for my photo hobby, notably an automated slider for time-lapse and a motion gimbal for induced motion photos. Both have PC based GUIs that I also wrote.

I have a greenhouse and like to grow my own veggies, I also like to eat them as cooking is also a hobby of mine.

I love to travel but refuse to use airlines, so the Model≡ is a big part of my future strategy.:bluecar::blush:

• Like Like x 4
  15. Steve C

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto
    Country
    Understatement of the year! ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  16. Badback

Valued Community Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    And, while we are on the subject: That glass of beer in your avatar, which is hiding the bottom of your face, probably severely disfigured from crashing your ICE car after drinking too much beer, gives me a sudden and overwhelming thirst for a glass of beer. Really, it's driving me nuts every time I see it. :p

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. DavidQ

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Fredenbeck, Germany
    Wow! You obviously don't experience "I'm bored and now what am I going to do?"

David

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. Daliman

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mississauga
    Country
    Oh yes I didn't mention beer! Like the photo Steve, these pretzels are making me thirsty (for beer). Another book The rational optimist. A fascinating look at human history and how specialization and shared knowledge have led to science and prosperity.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JimB

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Nevada City, CA
    #20 JimB, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    I highly recommend “The Invention of Nature Alexander Von Humboldt’s New World” by Andrea Wulf. He was the first environmentalist. He was the "first to see that nature is a complex and interconnected global force that does not exist for the use of humankind alone".

He was very popular in the 19th century. There are more places named for him around the world than any other person. He influenced John Muir, Thoreau and many others.

Over 200 years ago, he warned about the destruction of forests to power steam engines.

I plan to read his book – “Views of Nature”

I plan to name my Model 3 "Humboldt", so no one else use it, please. :)

Now for something completely different, today January 23rd, Tesla stock hit $250. It has increased 38% since December 2nd.

• Like Like x 5