BUG: audio controls negate backup camera view

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Country
Country
When you press the Media Player icon while the car is in Reverse, Park or Drive the rear view camera display disappears. The view changes to the Navigation screen. All the other icons do not have this issue. You can press the rear view camera icon to get it back. I am on software 2018.28.2.

I notified Tesla via email. Anyone else notice this issue?

[mod edit - updated thread title]

Last edited:

RichEV

M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
are you saying you reverse without looking over your shoulder, and depend only on the camera?
I only look at the camera, but I don't move if it is not displaying correctly. Hard to imagine why I would touch the media player DURING a backup maneuver. (Although my granddaughter likes having the rear camera on while we are driving her around)

quadmasta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
are you saying you reverse without looking over your shoulder, and depend only on the camera?
Are you saying you have the field of view you need looking out of the back of a Model 3? The camera sees *far* more than is visible by looking out the back windshield. The rear visibility is pretty horrible.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I want to know who messes with the radio while backing up? :). There is an icon/button to the left that should bring the camera back.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When you press the Media Player icon while the car is in Reverse...?
The "safety issue" is that you're playing around with the media player when you should be turning around and checking your mirrors. ;)
There is an icon/button to the left that should bring the camera back.
I would imagine that you could also just shift to park temporarily, then shift back into reverse.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Are you saying you have the field of view you need looking out of the back of a Model 3?
It may not be great, but it's definitely enough.
The camera sees *far* more than is visible by looking out the back windshield.
The camera sees a lot *less* of the cars coming up and down the aisle.

The camera is great for see how close you are to the next car when backing into a parking space, or making sure some little kid isn't hiding behind the car. But one should never rely *only* on it for backing out of a parking space.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not to jump on the bandwagon here, but I don’t see this as a bug or an issue. If the driver makes the conscious choice to alter the display while backing up the end result is what they hoped would happen in reality.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lexus cars do the same thing. Driver overrides manually what is on the screen is proper operation.

Driver should be in control over automatic functions

Country
Country
Not to jump on the bandwagon here, but I don’t see this as a bug or an issue. If the driver makes the conscious choice to alter the display while backing up the end result is what they hoped would happen in reality.
This is a software bug. The Media Player overrides the Rear View camera. It is does not happen when you touch the Climate Control icon. It does not happen when you touch the Control icon, Volume Control or any other icon.

This is a safety issue. All new cars sold in the USA must have a functional backup camera. Nothing should be able to obscure the Rear View camera. None of those icons should activate while the car is in reverse.

Last edited:

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is a software bug. The Media Player overrides the Rear View camera. It is does not happen when you touch the Climate Control icon. It does not happen when you touch the Control icon, Volume Control or any other icon.

It is a safety issue. All new cars sold in the USA must have a functional backup camera. Nothing should be able to obscure the Rear View camera. None of those icons should activate while the car is in reverse.
I really feel I should just leave this thread alone at this point, but I can't. So who and how and why did someone try to over ride the camera and successfully do so while backing up? Was the car moving when you did so? Do you mess with other functions of the car when backing up and not use the mirrors and looking around over your shoulders? You do know you can get the camera back with a press of another "button" or as noted by putting the car in park and then reverse again. You do know that it is just another aid and should never be used as the primary deciding factor whether it is safe to back up or not. If so, I'm afraid our fore fathers should have never been allowed to drive without their backup camera. I'm guessing this is why we have warnings on everything these days. There is no more common sense. I'm OK if Tesla were to add this "safety" mechanism, but it isn't a bug. Maybe we disagree on what you call it, but it isn't a bug. You just wish it wouldn't be allowed to happen.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is a software bug. The Media Player overrides the Rear View camera. It is does not happen when you touch the Climate Control icon. It does not happen when you touch the Control icon, Volume Control or any other icon.

This is a safety issue. All new cars sold in the USA must have a functional backup camera. Nothing should be able to obscure the Rear View camera. None of those icons should activate while the car is in reverse.
Probably semantics but the NHTSA mandates that as of May 2018 all vehicles under 10,000 pounds require an RVS (rearview video system) or backup camera. The mandate does not suggest that a driver is not allowed to override the view though. Again semantics and gray area. The intent is safety and the intent is for the driver to have the view. Tesla provides that.

slacker775

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve experienced this same quirk. In my case, I’ve always shifted into reverse but was still holding, changed a song or something and the rear view went away. I just hit the button to give me rear view and turned it off once I started driving. Maybe it shouldn’t happen at all, but at worst it’s a minor nuisance. If somebody had this happen, was only able to use the rear view and didn’t know how to turn it on manually, they probably shouldn’t be driving the vehicle in the first place. Nothing more to see here folks.

Country
Country
I really feel I should just leave this thread alone at this point, but I can't. So who and how and why did someone try to over ride the camera and successfully do so while backing up? Was the car moving when you did so? Do you mess with other functions of the car when backing up and not use the mirrors and looking around over your shoulders? You do know you can get the camera back with a press of another "button" or as noted by putting the car in park and then reverse again. You do know that it is just another aid and should never be used as the primary deciding factor whether it is safe to back up or not. I'm OK if Tesla were to add this "safety" mechanism, but it isn't a bug. Maybe we disagree on what you call it, but it isn't a bug. You just wish it wouldn't be allowed to happen.
The car was not moving. I was in my driveway testing out the functions on my new car. And I mentioned in the original post how to get the camera back.
This happens regardless if the car is in Park, Drive or Reverse
If you drive a Tesla please be aware of this issue, bug, feature or what ever else you feel comfortable caling it.

Last edited:

webdriverguy00

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I agree with you. Should be a simple fix for them to have the media player icon greyed out when you backup.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
When I put any car in Reverse, I'm ready to back up, I don't start selecting a new audio track. But, if I did, I would expect the audio software to work normally, even if I were in Reverse. At that point, it's easy to touch the camera lens icon to bring the rear view camera back before backing up. There is no need to flick the gear lever down and up again (although that's nearly as easy as touching the camera icon).

Should we outlaw all pre-2018 cars that don't even have a back-up camera?:rolleyes:

webdriverguy00

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I put any car in Reverse, I'm ready to back up, I don't start selecting a new audio track. But, if I did, I would expect the audio software to work normally, even if I were in Reverse. At that point, it's easy to touch the camera lens icon to bring the rear view camera back before backing up. There is no need to flick the gear lever down and up again (although that's nearly as easy as touching the camera icon).

Should we outlaw all pre-2018 cars that don't even have a back-up camera?:rolleyes:
It’s really inconvenient/ not safe when the passenger besides you taps the media player icon when you are backing up and the camera display goes away. Sure I have to be attentive all the time but this is something they can easily fix. If they can disable other icons when the car is in reverse they can pretty easily do this as well.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It’s really inconvenient/ not safe when the passenger besides you taps the media player icon when you are backing up and the camera display goes away. Sure I have to be attentive all the time but this is something they can easily fix. If they can disable other icons when the car is in reverse they can pretty easily do this as well.
Just to clarify though — none of the other icons are disabled. You can tap phone, music, HVAC, etc.

The glitch or bug is that when you tap music the backup camera goes away where as with the other icons they just open on top of the camera view.

webdriverguy00

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just to clarify though — none of the other icons are disabled. You can tap phone, music, HVAC, etc.

The glitch or bug is that when you tap music the backup camera goes away where as with the other icons they just open on top of the camera view.
And even if you are using the camera and also looking over shoulder yourself, if the camera displays goes away anything can happen in a split second. Going to send email to tesla about this.