Bug: Audio flat when entering car in the morning...

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Ok I have had this happen on 3 or 4 mornings where my audio system is dramatically flat sounding when I get in the car in the morning. A reboot (takes 2 reboots for me to get LTE) fixes it every time. Basically it sounds like the music is only coming out of the front speakers and there is next to no bass. No subs, no rear speakers, etc... Anyone having this issue?

I have tried everything to see if I can jolt it back but it doesn't work. I have tried switching sources, turning nav prompts on/off, etc... It always seems to happen first thing in the morning when the car is in my garage and doesn't work when driving my kids to school. I have to reboot during the drive to get it to resolve itself.

I am on FW 2018.49.20

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Kinda reminds me of Windows 95, No??

"When your car requires more reboots than your corporate computer, you might be a Tesla Owner."
( my apologies to Jeff Foxworthy )
haha that might be true! The funny thing is my car ever since I have owned it takes 2 reboots. After the first reboot LTE never works. Then after the second it comes back. I have ever tried driving for 15 minutes after the first reboot to see if it just takes longer but nope will never connect.

Oh and I love Jeff Foxworthy.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
it's getting a little long, but there is some good information being discovered and shared in this thread. If I recall correctly from that thread, they are discovering that the front speakers and maybe tweeters get a feed from one location. The mid-range, sub woofer and other speakers are all driven from the sub in the trunk.

From what you say it almost sounds like you aren't getting any sound from the speakers that are powered/driven by the sub. So could it be a breakdown there, the sub isn't kicking in and it takes one or two reboots for it to pickup the signal and fire the speakers? Seems odd a reboot would fix that, but if your separation of what works and doesn't work is the same as what is powered up front vs by the sub, that could be a starting point of what is going wrong.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Yeah this bug is starting to drive me nuts. I kid you not this morning I drove the kids to school and sound was broken. Then my wife and I just went to lunch. Was broken when we got into the car. So I rebooted. Then got back into the car after lunch broken again. Then drove home with it broken because my wife only tolerates me rebooting so much. Then got home and rebooted and it worked again. Rebooting it fixes it every time so it seems like a software bug to me.

It is like the sub is off and half the midrange is gone. I get some base but probably at about 1/2 the volume. The tweeters seem ok maybe? I am going to try to record the difference.

Also I noticed that my immersive sound setting was set back to the middle setting. I always set it to the highest setting but it reverts back every now and then for no reason even though I don't change it.

This also doesn't seem to be source specific as it happens when streaming or using my phone as the audio source.

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When this happens, do voice commands work? Can people you call hear you from the BT connected mic?

I've got a similar issue, but the sounds in the back are "bursts" of about 1/4 second of audio, separated by a couple of seconds. Mic is dead. Subwoofer is dead. Reboots ineffective.

Someone in another thread reported that water intrusion into the rear amplifier caused identical symptoms in his M3.

Service appointment on Valentine's Day.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah this bug is starting to drive me nuts. I kid you not this morning I drove the kids to school and sound was broken. Then my wife and I just went to lunch. Was broken when we got into the car. So I rebooted. Then got back into the car after lunch broken again. Then drove home with it broken because my wife only tolerates me rebooting so much. Then got home and rebooted and it worked again. Rebooting it fixes it every time so it seems like a software bug to me.

It is like the sub is off and half the midrange is gone. I get some base but probably at about 1/2 the volume. The tweeters seem ok maybe? I am going to try to record the difference.

Also I noticed that my immersive sound setting was set back to the middle setting. I always set it to the highest setting but it reverts back every now and then for no reason even though I don't change it.

This also doesn't seem to be source specific as it happens when streaming or using my phone as the audio source.
This would drive me bananas! Luckily I do not have the same issues. I am 50.6...waiting on the next update because I want the auto folding side mirrors badly when I get to my driveway.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
When this happens, do voice commands work? Can people you call hear you from the BT connected mic?

I've got a similar issue, but the sounds in the back are "bursts" of about 1/4 second of audio, separated by a couple of seconds. Mic is dead. Subwoofer is dead. Reboots ineffective.

Someone in another thread reported that water intrusion into the rear amplifier caused identical symptoms in his M3.

Service appointment on Valentine's Day.
Oooh that is interesting. I don't seem to have the issues you do but this concerns me. My problem is I had a bunch of water in my trunk lid when my car was at the body shop through several rain storms. I am wondering if that could have caused issues? Reboot fixes my issue every time it seems to be. I'll test some more and come back with more info.

This would drive me bananas! Luckily I do not have the same issues. I am 50.6...waiting on the next update because I want the auto folding side mirrors badly when I get to my driveway.
Yeah I want that too but not for my driveway but for my garage door.

JasonF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've actually seen Bluetooth phone activation do that, cause the rear speakers and subwoofer to cut out first, leaving kind of flat and tinny music just before switching over to the phone audio. Maybe yours is stuck? You can try turning off the phone to see if it makes a difference.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I am pretty sure it is dead now. I cannot get full sound back now no matter how many times I restart. I made a service center appointment with the app. A song I listen to all the time came on on the way home and there was zero bass. I thought I was imagining things for awhile. The sub appears to be working some because if I open the trunk and listen I can hear it some.

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am pretty sure it is dead now. I cannot get full sound back now no matter how many times I restart. I made a service center appointment with the app. A song I listen to all the time came on on the way home and there was zero bass. I thought I was imagining things for awhile. The sub appears to be working some because if I open the trunk and listen I can hear it some.
Does your mic work? Voice commands and phone? And when you say no sound in back, if you move balance all the way to the back and turn the audio up, do you hear anything unusual?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Are you doing two finger reset or power off reset? Even my dark screen issue went away after doing power off reset. They take almost the same amount of time too, so I always now just do the power off style.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Does your mic work? Voice commands and phone? And when you say no sound in back, if you move balance all the way to the back and turn the audio up, do you hear anything unusual?
Handsfree works fine. Audio sounds tinny and lots of the frequency band is missing. For example 0 bass in John Cougar Mellancamp's Pink Houses (that I know sounded very good before). But newer songs like Delicate by Taylor Swift have some bass but probably about 1/2 as intense as prior. When moving the balance to the back I hear the song but it is very faint and muffled. I'll see if I can get a recording of it but it will be tough because of copy write stuff on videos.

Are you doing two finger reset or power off reset? Even my dark screen issue went away after doing power off reset. They take almost the same amount of time too, so I always now just do the power off style.
Just two finger. I haven't tried a bigger power off. I'll try that when I leave work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Basically my behavior before was 'hey that doesn't sound quite right'. or 'is it me or is it really the sound system?' Then I would reboot at a light or something while on my way somewhere. I usually have kids complaining behind me so sometimes it is hard to get an objective idea of what is going on. Before it was very subtle and a reboot would appear to fix it. Now it is flat out broke and I can't seem to get it back to the way it was. That is when I scheduled the service visit.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Oh really? I was hoping it was a bug. Anyway yes I am still on 49.20. Maybe they can push a newer version to me. I will give them a call today. It is strange that I had audio fine for awhile and then all of a sudden this week it started crapping out on me. I have had 49.20 for at least a couple weeks or more.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh really? I was hoping it was a bug. Anyway yes I am still on 49.20. Maybe they can push a newer version to me. I will give them a call today. It is strange that I had audio fine for awhile and then all of a sudden this week it started crapping out on me. I have had 49.20 for at least a couple weeks or more.
Yeah, mine was 100% for 3 months then with a given update it started (what I presume was) not powering the audio amplifiers properly at startup. After an update the problem evaporated. Best of luck. Support can't explicitly push an update but the SC can. If you're near one dropping in can allow them to force the update.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Yeah, mine was 100% for 3 months then with a given update it started (what I presume was) not powering the audio amplifiers properly at startup. After an update the problem evaporated. Best of luck. Support can't explicitly push an update but the SC can. If you're near one dropping in can allow them to force the update.
Thanks that sounds promising! I was starting to worry water in my trunk killed my amp somehow. I don't see any signs of water at all but it has been raining a lot and I had water in my trunk lid after picking it up from the body shop last month. So I was worried something got into my amp and it took this long for it to slowly die.

Oh and I live about 20 miles from the SC in Austin but it is through traffic and I hate going up there especially since I don't have an appointment I can't be guaranteed they'll help me. My appointment for this issue is on the 26th so if it lasts until then I'll survive.

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks that sounds promising! I was starting to worry water in my trunk killed my amp somehow. I don't see any signs of water at all but it has been raining a lot and I had water in my trunk lid after picking it up from the body shop last month. So I was worried something got into my amp and it took this long for it to slowly die.

Oh and I live about 20 miles from the SC in Austin but it is through traffic and I hate going up there especially since I don't have an appointment I can't be guaranteed they'll help me. My appointment for this issue is on the 26th so if it lasts until then I'll survive.
I have a 9pm (yes, you read that right!) appointment at the Costa Mesa, CA SvC tonight. Already corresponded with the tech, who proactively contacted me for more details on the symptoms.

Hoping it's something as simple as a software push, but not optimistic it's something so easy.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I have a 9pm (yes, you read that right!) appointment at the Costa Mesa, CA SvC tonight. Already corresponded with the tech, who proactively contacted me for more details on the symptoms.

Hoping it's something as simple as a software push, but not optimistic it's something so easy.
Awesome thanks for keeping us updated. Someone just posted a similar problem on the facebook page so it is more and more implying to me it is a software issue. I could be completely wrong though. I am going to reboot my car today before I leave work to see if it helps.