Bug: No audio.

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

jsmay311

Country
Country
My brother and I both have Model 3's. A few days ago he mentioned that he ran into a problem were he was getting zero audio from any of the speakers -- no music, no chimes, no beeps, no turn signal "clicks"... No nothing. Everything else seemed normal, but it was as if the speakers were simply disconnected.
A scroll wheel reset didn't fix it. But it eventually went back to normal on its own after turning the car off.

Then today the same thing happened to me. Again a scroll wheel reset didn't fix it. I tried to submit a bug report at the time, but voice commands were non-functional.
After turning the car off and leaving it and coming back a couple hours later, it had reverted back to normal operation.

I found a few sparse mentions in forums of similar (temporary) issues in S's and X's, but nothing specific to the Model 3 or specific to the last few days or recent software versions. Given that this happened to both of the only two Model 3 owners I know in a span of just a few days, it seems like an awfully big coincidence, so I'm wondering if there might be a bug introduced in a recent software update. (I believe we were both on 2018.42.3 when it happened.)

Anyone else run into the same problem, either recently or ever?

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I’m not sure if it’s related. However, my Model 3 currently has 2018.40.1. Shortly after the last update, I noticed that when playing music from my phone via Bluetooth, I’ve been having intermittent issues where be a crackle static sound. That sound is then followed by silence. After about 20-30 seconds, after which you can click play again (it seems to pause the music). This has happened on more than one phone so it’s not likely an issue with the phone.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Solution for no audio (besides waiting) is the 2 finger reset. Hold down both scroll wheels, the screen will go black, keep holding. The center of the screen will get a Tesla logo on it. Let go. The audio should work!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The audio system of my model 3 is the flakiest part of the car for me. Prior to v9, the audio would "shift" around in the car. When I would be listening to podcasts, the speakers would move from center to center-left and stuff like that. After v9, I get the crackle and then nothing for a few seconds (no turn signals, no radio, etc.) and then it would come back on. When it happens for me, I don't believe the music/podcast is paused, it continues playing while the sound is off. It can happen twice on my 20 minute commute on a bad day, or not happen at all.

Needing to reset the car every week doesn't feel like a real solution (as the problem just returns a day or two later).

I've recorded bug reports about it right after it has happened, but who knows how those reports are handled.

atomitod

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just encountered this phenomenon today myself. Rebooting didn’t make a difference for me either. Hoping it’s back to normal after leaving it for a while. Also on the 42.3 software.

Update: after being out of the car long enough to eat dinner, it was back to normal.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Solution for no audio (besides waiting) is the 2 finger reset. Hold down both scroll wheels, the screen will go black, keep holding. The center of the screen will get a Tesla logo on it. Let go. The audio should work!
Unfortunately I’ve tried that. In fact, I’ve also had a few times where the screen went black and then would reboot on its own

SanJoseM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the exact same issue today. Version 2018.42.3 eb373a0. Audio completely dead, including turn signal clicks, music, chimes, etc.. Radio was turned to fm, and clicking on a streaming icon did not switch to it, it was stuck on the radio channel. Car was in Drive as I was driving. I did the wheel reset 3 times when stopped at red lights, that DID NOT fix the issue. Once home, I put the car in Park, exited, waited for the car to turn off, reentered the car and everything was back to normal. Never had an issue with the system before the latest update, had the car since June 1st.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there a recommended way to report / handle these types of issues, I know of 3 ways of reporting this and none of them seem like the correct approach and was wondering what others think:

1) use the bug report features (no feedback, cuts you off, works poorly, I'm not convinced this even works as flakey as it seems)

2) Call or take the car to the service center, I live 300 miles away from my service center, and I suspect this is purely a software problem since the behavior has changed between the 39.x and 42.x versions of the software. I have not done this, should I - do people have good luck

3) Report feedback through the tesla.com web site. I did this and they just brushed me off and told me to contact the service center.

People talk about the car being more like software with OTA updates, it would be nice if there was a bug tracking site where I could just see that this issue was logged and acknowledged.

Country
Country
I’m not sure if it’s related. However, my Model 3 currently has 2018.40.1. Shortly after the last update, I noticed that when playing music from my phone via Bluetooth, I’ve been having intermittent issues where be a crackle static sound. That sound is then followed by silence. After about 20-30 seconds, after which you can click play again (it seems to pause the music). This has happened on more than one phone so it’s not likely an issue with the phone.
I didn't get the OP issue but I got this one where the audio would just cut out while playing my music from my phone (no car sounds either) and after like 20-30 seconds it all comes back. On 42.3 currently.

Country
Country
I had this issue twice on 42.2 and now twice on 42.4. The trigger seems to be if the screen is slow to turn on and goes through a boot-up process when getting into the car, then the sound will not work once it does boot up.

The fix is to go to the service menu and power-off while in park. You don't have to do the full power-off where you wait 3+ minutes and then open the door, just a quick power-off, wait 10 seconds and hit the brake pedal or open a door and sound will work again. This bug is pretty annoying.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got this issue yesterday as well, on 42.3. It just got into single digit temps in MN. when i left work and got to the car, the handle worked normally (walk up unlock from the phone). However, the screen was completely black, and would not turn on even when i tried using the card, putting foot on the brake, etc. I tried to wake it up from the app, and it woke up and was drivable, but the audio would not work (all music, turn signals, etc just like above). I did the scroll wheel reboot (nothing), then the scroll wheel and brake reboot (nothing). Called roadside non-emergency, the hold wait time for non-emergency was 1.5 hours. Drove home with no audio, it was very weird (especially the turn signals). Even the microphone wouldn't work for bug reports (just kept blinking quickly to green then back to grey in .5 seconds).

Strangely enough, as soon as i got home i plugged it in to the UMC, and BOOM, full audio immediately returned. Immediately (and i was not on WIFI at the time or anything). I thought it might be a cold thing, but this thread is making me think it's something else.

jsmay311

Country
Country
I just got this issue yesterday as well, on 42.3. It just got into single digit temps in MN. when i left work and got to the car, the handle worked normally (walk up unlock from the phone). However, the screen was completely black, and would not turn on even when i tried using the card, putting foot on the brake, etc. I tried to wake it up from the app, and it woke up and was drivable, but the audio would not work (all music, turn signals, etc just like above). I did the scroll wheel reboot (nothing), then the scroll wheel and brake reboot (nothing). Called roadside non-emergency, the hold wait time for non-emergency was 1.5 hours. Drove home with no audio, it was very weird (especially the turn signals). Even the microphone wouldn't work for bug reports (just kept blinking quickly to green then back to grey in .5 seconds).

Strangely enough, as soon as i got home i plugged it in to the UMC, and BOOM, full audio immediately returned. Immediately (and i was not on WIFI at the time or anything). I thought it might be a cold thing, but this thread is making me think it's something else.
I can confirm that doing a “power off“ (under the “Safety & Security”menu) while in park does the trick.

Thanks for the tip!

350VDC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got this issue yesterday as well, on 42.3. It just got into single digit temps in MN. when i left work and got to the car, the handle worked normally (walk up unlock from the phone). However, the screen was completely black, and would not turn on even when i tried using the card, putting foot on the brake, etc. I tried to wake it up from the app, and it woke up and was drivable, but the audio would not work (all music, turn signals, etc just like above).
Mine did exactly the same thing when it was really cold here in Dallas for 2 days.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine has done it twice, the full reboot from the menu fixed it. My car is on 42.3 like most everyone else here. I tried opening a bug and just scheduled a service request too, but since it's most likely a software problem we'll probably have to wait for an OTA bug fix release.

Jay79

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ditto, I lost audio once in the week I've owned my car. Although the soft reboot from the steering wheel controls worked, bug reports never works for me. I hit the mic button an say bug report and it doesn't appear to do anything. Oh well...lol

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hit the mic button an say bug report and it doesn't appear to do anything. Oh well...lol
If you say "bug report" and then wait for something to happen, you're going to be disappointed.

You have to say everything together, like "bug report audio just disappeared". Then if you wait you'll see the car's word recognition figure out what you just said, then it will display a thank you for the report.