1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Cabin Overheat Protection Battery Drain

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by jtk00l, Jul 19, 2018.

1. jtk00l

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Since this feature was added I thought I would let you know what kind of drain this can put on the battery. Today it is 104 degrees here in Dallas Texas and parking in full sun I am getting an average battery drain of 4-5 miles per hour. After 2 hours my battery has gone from 176 miles to 166 miles.

Love the feature but something to keep in mind if you are parking your car on a hot day in full sun for 8 hours.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. GDN

GDN
    M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for the information. I just got an update from WFAA that we broke a record this afternoon and hit 108.

So with these temps and with that amount of battery usage - are you using the fan or the cool option? And what is the temp inside your car before you precool it or get in?

3. iChris93

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Would using just the fan be effective at all when it’s so hot outside?

4. GDN

GDN
    M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I had to think about that at first as well. Some say yes and even 108 degree air outside is better than the 133 degree air inside, so likely yes.

5. iChris93

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    That does make sense, but may not get it below the threshold so it would always be on.

6. jtk00l

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Currently there is no option to just use the fan. If using overheat protection you have no control over that. The car will do whatever it has to do to keep the car at 105 degrees. So on a very hot day it appears it must be using the a/c some to keep it at 105 inside the cabin. I just wanted to let others know because if you had a long commute it might be a problem with a 5 mile battery drain for 8 hours. I am going to test having it off tomorrow and compare as it is suppose to be just as hot here tomorrow. Now 108 degrees.

7. Impatient

Expand Collapse

Country
    If the 3 is like the S, the cabin overheat feature won't engage if the battery is at less than 20% SOC, I believe. Has anyone verified that this is the case? (If this is in the Model 3 docs, forgive me for not remembering.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. GDN

GDN
    M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    So that appears to be the difference between those that picked up overheat from that early release with the hidden screen. Those that have it through a 24.X release have an option for fan only or cool ! They are making advancements.

• Like Like x 2
  9. PandaM3

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    So what’s the advantage of doing this? Does the cabins electronics get damaged due to heat? Why can’t I just turn the AC on a few minutes before I get in the car?

10. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Interior materials can slowly be damaged over time by heat. We've also had one report of the glue holding the vanity mirror failing due to heat. Plus, if you have anything stored in the car, you may want to keep it cool.

But the main reason it was implemented is because of child and dog deaths due to people forgetting/leaving them in a hot car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    My car warms to 100-110F inside rather than the previous 125-135F, so it is definitely helping.

12. iChris93

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    What’s the outside temp then?

13. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    #13 KarenRei, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    What's your vampire drain by comparison? It's not the raw power consumption figure that matters, but the excess consumption. It'd be nice to actually do a full 8-hour run and compare it to vampire drain on a day with similar weather without cabin overheat on.

Something about this figure seems horribly wrong, regardless. 4,5mi / 310mi * 75kWh = 1,1 kWh per hour = 1,1 kW. That's way more power than a simple fan should use. Order of magnitude more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    High 80s-low 90s F -- parked in direct sun for 9-10 hours straight daily.

• Like Like x 1
  15. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Including the young daughter of a friend of mine. The friend is currently on trial for manslaughter, despite it being an accident (he didn't realize she was still in the car; she was asleep in the back and hadn't gone to daycare because she was sick). Baked to death at temperatures around 65°C / 150°F.

It's not extremely common, but when it happens it's horrific. A horrific death to the child. A horrific experience for the family, followed by a lifetime of guilt. And potential jailtime (after years of pre-trial stress), even if it was an accident. It's not extremely common, but it's more common than you'd think; several dozen children die like this per year in the US. I imagine the figure for pets is 1-3 orders of magnitude higher.

All issues of upholstery longevity aside: How sure are you you'll never make a mistake in your life?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Jayc

Expand Collapse

Country
    For the past century or more, cars were left out in the sun and got overheated. Nothing new there so we have to put things into perspective:

What Tesla could do is to have a few options:

1. Give the option to pick either fan-only or full ac overheat protection

2. Fan-only but auto switch to ac if temperature exceeds a specified limit option

3. If someone is detected inside *and* cabin reaches extreme heat, automatically go to ac overheat protection mode irrespective of user-selection

4. No overheat protection, the feature is allowed to be switched off

It can be made as complicated as one would like. Or not!

17. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    And for the past century, people and pets have died in them, and their interiors have degraded. Not sure what the point is here.

You can do this. Cabin overheat protection is fan-only. If you want AC, just turn the AC on with the app.

Nice idea, but it's not enough. My friend's daughter still would have died in her carseat. Just because a child is in a vehicle doesn't mean that it's easy to detect that the thing applying weight to the seat is a human.

Not that Tesla has interior cameras in the back anyway.

18. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    To clarify, current Cabin Overheat Protection for Model 3 has 3 positions...

1) Off
    2) Fan Only
    3) A/C

• Like Like x 1
  19. Vladimír Michálek

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Microphone. You have microphones inside. Sound analysis is computationally extremely cheap. Baby crying detected in closed car should pop an alert in the app and trigger A/C to immediately cool down to room temperature. If not acknowledged in the app or not resolved after some time, the car should call the owner, then if not answered or the baby is continuously/repeatedly detected even after some time past the notification was acknowledged, call the emergency service and unlock the car when they arrive and confirm the VIN.

With this implemented, it might actually be viable to keep the baby in the car when it's asleep and use the mobile app as a baby monitor.

20. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Unfortunately, you're not guaranteed that a baby will wake up and start crying.

Also, having a false-positive end up in calling emergency services would be annoying.